Audio connections for Philips 3388

aayushmathur

Hi All,

I recently bought the Philips 3388 DVDP ( possibly a replacement for the 5996 from Philips). It came with an HDMI cable and has a USB drive, along with DD/DTS. Though I have a WD TV as well, I bought this player for the conevenience of not having to rip ALL DVDs and then storing them to a hard drive.

I connected the player to my HTiB (Yamaha YHT-195) with an optical cable. However, the AVR is decoding the DVDs with DD as Dolby Pro Logic. If I rip the same DVD and play it via the WD TV, the sound is decoded as DD.

Is there something I am not doing right? Appreciate all your help.

Thanks.

PS- Apologies if I am bothering everyone with a stupid question

Hi All,

I recently bought the Philips 3388 DVDP ( possibly a replacement for the 5996 from Philips). It came with an HDMI cable and has a USB drive, along with DD/DTS. Though I have a WD TV as well, I bought this player for the conevenience of not having to rip ALL DVDs and then storing them to a hard drive.

I connected the player to my HTiB (Yamaha YHT-195) with an optical cable. However, the AVR is decoding the DVDs with DD as Dolby Pro Logic. If I rip the same DVD and play it via the WD TV, the sound is decoded as DD.

Is there something I am not doing right? Appreciate all your help.

Thanks.

PS- Apologies if I am bothering everyone with a stupid question

it seems my friend your DVDP is not doing passthrough for Dolby Ac3/DTS - go to the menu system (i am not familiar with this player hence) and see if there is option for dolby/dts passthrough as RAW - the signal will pass unused. It seems the DVDP is doing the decoding and passing the signal as PCM to the receiver that is why it is showing as dolby prologic instead of dts/dolby ac3

Thanks!

Could not find the 'passthrough' option.

I did change the settings of 'Digital Output' from 'PCM' to 'All', but that doesn't seem to work. :(

This is strange though, how can a player decode DD/DTS if it is sending PCM as output?

Thanks!

Could not find the 'passthrough' option.

I did change the settings of 'Digital Output' from 'PCM' to 'All', but that doesn't seem to work. :(

This is strange though, how can a player decode DD/DTS if it is sending PCM as output?

yes the terminology differs from player to player. Can you uncheck all the tickboxes actually - basically do not let the dvdp decode anything and let it pass through.

The DVDPs are marketed as being able to decode dolby/dts so that people using just a TV minus the avr can make use of dts/dolby tracks in dvds which the TV cannot decode. But with AVRs doign the decoding - people ususally pass everything as raw to the avr to do the decoding.

For yoru purpose do not let the dvdp do the decoding and let the avr do it - so uncheck all boxes or check (depends how your menu is organized/designed) as required and let the optical carry the digital signals unprocessed from dvd to avr

This is extremely frustrating- there are only three options for digital output viz. PCM, ALL and NONE.

ALL should ideally mean that it is passing the signal as is, but that does not seem to be the case.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back