Audio Quality Difference

I had a schiit Modi (the first version) way back around 6 years ago. Initial impression was same sound as my Marantz CD5001, but after using it for approx 100 hrs the Modi showed it's true capabilities and was way ahead and better Than the cd player.

I sincerely say let the DAC burn for approx 100 hours you will find the difference.

There could be multiple reason but digital cable is the most unlikely. Source grows on you slowly unlike speaker which is instant recognizable.
Another reason could the burn-in fact but still it should be different than TV sound before burn-in. So most it is physiological problem.

Do not A-B with source, that is okay for speaker but not source.

Listen to your new DAC for a week and then disconnect it and go back to TV. See what you hear then. You might be in for a pleasant surprise :)

All the best with your journey. Have fun...

Could you share some information like distance from the wall placements etc.. a pic will be more intuitive to comment on.

The floorstanders are approx 9inches away from wall. And both the speakers are at approx 5 feet distance from each other. Planning to change the Interconnects for now to see the difference

Attachments

• IMG_5615.JPG
    IMG_5615.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The floorstanders are approx 9inches away from wall. And both the speakers are at approx 5 feet distance from each other. Planning to change the Interconnects for now to see the difference

Ok Try something like this for the time being. Move the speakers away from wall about 2 feet (rear) and expand the speakers like 8 feets (wide if space is available) and tilt the speakers towards the listening position. One more thing the wide space between your speakers as well as your distance from speakers to sweet spot should be the same.

Try these and let us know if you get any difference.

I dont see how positioning speakers will bring out the differences in the various DAC's deployed in this scenario. Sure, it may improve soundstage/ Imaging and what not, but the DAC imho will have nothing to do with "Improvement" in the sound. I so believe speaker positioning within any given room is the most important factor to get the best sound off the gear,But that is not what we are looking for in this scenario, which is to compare the DACs in question.

I dont see how positioning speakers will bring out the differences in the various DAC's deployed in this scenario. Sure, it may improve soundstage/ Imaging and what not, but the DAC imho will have nothing to do with "Improvement" in the sound. I so believe speaker positioning within any given room is the most important factor to get the best sound off the gear,But that is not what we are looking for in this scenario, which is to compare the DACs in question.

Fully agree with you. Positioning only changes soundstage/imaging. For change in sound quality only gears and ICs can help as per my knowledge

Last edited:
Fully agree with you. Positioning only changes soundstage/imaging. For change in sound quality only gears and ICs can help as per my knowledge

In a more resolving system speaker placement would effect the final sound signature

Have experienced it myself in a friend's setup

Agree with you Tuff.

But the thing is that you will get signifacant difference apart from imaging and sound stage. Which is better low frequencies without booming.. But anyways cables also make change :) Let us hear from that what is he exactly lagging from his system.

I am agree at this point, because I am not looking for a reason of lack of bass or any other sound signature or any room acoustic issues. As, I have already mentioned, I am happy with the quality of sound I am getting. I am just curious to know that what lacks in my system, which gives no difference in between a TV DAC and a dedicated DAC. Will update once I change my ICs first

Bought Schiit Modi Multibit last week. Connected to my setup, tried to make a A-B comparison, but found no difference. I just need a suggestion - should I wait for more days to compare or need any changes in my existing cables etc.

Chain A : Media Player (HDMI Digital Out)==> Sony Bravia TV (Pre Out via cheap RCA interconnects)==>Marantz PM 8005 =>Dali Zensor 7 (Using DAC of TV)
Chain B : Media Player (Bluerigger Coaxial Subwoofer cable)==>Modi Multibit==>(DAC RCA interconnects)==>Marantz PM 8005 =>Dali Zensor 7 (Using Schiit DAC)

I am using FLAC files as source media, but when I changes the source of Marantz from remote to make a A-B comparison, I never find any difference. The DAC has been used approximately 10-12 hours till now. So, should I wait for burn in period to get more better quality or anything else I need in my setup ? Or is it my ears those needs replacement :)

I have "lesser" speakers. And cottonier ears maybe. I had a similar amp. I had a Sony Bravia as a DAC too.

The differences going to bifrost uber were very clear. In a nice way. To multibit again there was SQ gain. Not my observation, but I have read the mimby betters the DAC in the Marantz. All this a couple of years or so back and with a definitely sub optimal set up - though it remained the same for all arrangements. Bimby > Buber > Pm6005 > Bravia

The differences (between DACs) are in the subtle stuff really. And for the DAC (or my ears) to "burn in" was a couple of weeks or so. And bad cables (or not) the differences were quite distinct. Give it a few listening days.

ciao
gr

Give your DAC 50-100 hrs playing before you try anything.
Your speaker placement does seem to be one of the weak links of the chain. Any improvement there might bring out the difference you are looking for. No harm in trying, I would say. After all, it's free ;). Pull them out 2 feet at least and increase separation to get them away from the cabinet. Rugs in front of the speakers will also help.
I would even go so far as test with the electronics off the cabinet and on the floor.
Another thing is the listener's hearing. Are you old enough to suspect hearing deterioration? You did joke about it in your first post :). Get someone else to listen.
Can you take your DAC and TV to a well setup system? Maybe that would clear all doubts.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back