Internal DAC quality in Sony Tv 49" 4K (Model X70F) 2018

Shammi Dang

Hi all,

This is a small update on the decent quality internal DAC used in sony TV's. Please read this write up till the end to understand why and how I made this connection. We all often complain and make assumptions about the quality of internal dac used in various devices specially the areas where we take the headphone out/aux out with the help of aux cable.

I bought this Tv's In the beginning of 2019 and no doubt it's a very good Tv specially in the colour transmission area. Speaker sound is also decent enough. Till a month back I was operating this TV by using an Android device (Mi box 4K) for various OTT apps and for audio out I was taking it though the toslink digital out and then routing it through an external DAC to my main stereo. The Dac is 3+ years old "Schiit Modi 3", good quality Dac. The headphone out of the Tv is used for taking an out connection to my Sennheiser wireless headphones RS 120 II (8 yrs old) that works on RF technology (non blue tooth, pure analog). I was also using a old WD TV media hub connected to the Tv with help of regular hdmi cable. Somehow I wanted a vol control for using this particular device before it goes to the final amplifier.

So necessity was the mother of experiment and implementation. I put a aux splitter in the headphone out of Tv and then took two connections from there, one goes to the headphone and the other goes to the amplifier using the internal Dac of the TV. Now the experiment where I wanted to know if the TV's inernal Dac quality is good enough. I played the music tracks, ott tv series, ott movies and used two "In" rca connections of the amplifier, one where connection is through an external Dac and other where Tv's internal Dac is used. With few trials I set the Tv's headphone out vol to "35" setting out of 100 max vol and I am able to achieve almost the same audio quality and quantity between the two different modes. One where the connection is through toslink cable and an external Dac (Schitt modi 3) and second connection where direct analog aux splitter & aux to 2rca cable is used. Now I have an intermediate vol control when I play my WD media device or any other connection to the Tv or else I also have other connection where I can use the external Dac. However I cannot say the same about other models of Sony TV's specially the current one's. There are few more audio settings in this TV that are very unique to control the vol settings when transmitting sound to other devices like an external amplifier, subwoofer etc.

Conclusion: Now all internal Dac's in the mid level devices are of "Bad quality" as portrayed by you tubers/other blogs and religiously followed by the masses. We should experiment to see and then make any claims.

Note - No fancy high priced, hi end cables are used. At some points I have just used the stock cables where I do not have an availability of regular mid end cable.

Hope this effort of mine can be helpful to some who are planning a similar kind of connection for any other audio device. I have also learned this method in some other application and applied for a different application.

Back