Audio Quality of SOUND KING SK 25000 - 2 CH Amplifier

cosmic

Hi Friends
Please let me know about the audio quality of Sound King S K 25000 2 channel amplifier, this is a Mumbai based company and they do not have any dealers in India, they sell only online.
Thanks & Regards
Cosmic

Hi Friends
Please let me know about the audio quality of Sound King S K 25000 2 channel amplifier, this is a Mumbai based company and they do not have any dealers in India, they sell only online.
Thanks & Regards
Cosmic
I contacted the company via email in Sep 2022 requesting them to share some details like suitability with one sonodyne 8 ohms tower speaker set that is lying around with me and also asked them for tonal signature & other small details. The reply I received is just about that I should go for SK25000 and not AMG240 (other model). The reply was not proper so I dropped the idea. There are very few reviews on You tube and majorly done by a channel called "Techno sense". I have also written to him in the comments section but no response received. I think you should get some info on "Norge" and go for it as it's a well established Indian brand with decent quality. No mic function in their integrated amps.

I contacted the company via email in Sep 2022 requesting them to share some details like suitability with one sonodyne 8 ohms tower speaker set that is lying around with me and also asked them for tonal signature & other small details. The reply I received is just about that I should go for SK25000 and not AMG240 (other model). The reply was not proper so I dropped the idea. There are very few reviews on You tube and majorly done by a channel called "Techno sense". I have also written to him in the comments section but no response received. I think you should get some info on "Norge" and go for it as it's a well established Indian brand with decent quality. No mic function in their integrated amps.
Hi
Thanks for reply. I think it is better to go for used branded amps like Yamaha AX 496 or similar amps. My present amplifier Cosmic Lab 3000 has malfunctioned after 40 years of using it.
Regards
Cosmic

Sound king inside looks good. (excepet speaker wire near transformer). Hope echo control is bypassable.
81cQQW1RBNL._SL1500_.jpg

Hi
Thanks for reply. I think it is better to go for used branded amps like Yamaha AX 496 or similar amps. My present amplifier Cosmic Lab 3000 has malfunctioned after 40 years of using it.
Regards
Cosmic
True. Get a good used amp like NAD or cambridge, etc. It may be a step above as well. Or norge isnt a bad idea.

You are lucky your cosmic lasted 40 years. Maybe you can get it spruced up as a backup.

I think if the distributor for both Doogee Sound & Sound King are same, then it's actually located in my locality. I once called them for Doogee sound tweeter related inquiry. The staff didn't have much to add related to my technical questions. Watch (sponsored) review by "what I think " channel on YouTube. It's probably imported Chinese stuff rebadged as Make in India. Judging by the insides, light duty transformer was used. So good luck with difficult to drive speakers at high volume. If you liked the sound of cosmic for all these years, then go for pre-loved Norge or Sonodyne amps. Don't worry too much about matching speakers, 8ohms is pretty light load for any amplifier worth its salt. Other options are cheap but good sounding semi diy class D amplifiers modules. BTW what are your plans about repairing cosmic?

I think if the distributor for both Doogee Sound & Sound King are same, then it's actually located in my locality. I once called them for Doogee sound tweeter related inquiry. The staff didn't have much to add related to my technical questions. Watch (sponsored) review by "what I think " channel on YouTube. It's probably imported Chinese stuff rebadged as Make in India. Judging by the insides, light duty transformer was used. So good luck with difficult to drive speakers at high volume. If you liked the sound of cosmic for all these years, then go for pre-loved Norge or Sonodyne amps. Don't worry too much about matching speakers, 8ohms is pretty light load for any amplifier worth its salt. Other options are cheap but good sounding semi diy class D amplifiers modules. BTW what are your plans about repairing cosmic?
Getting someone to repair old solid state amps with the correct parts and pots, especially log/audio taper pots with centre tap for loudness, is getting very difficult. Know anyone good, quick and reliable?

tI think if the distributor for both Doogee Sound & Sound King are same, then it's actually located in my locality. I once called them for Doogee sound tweeter related inquiry. The staff didn't have much to add related to my technical questions. Watch (sponsored) review by "what I think " channel on YouTube. It's probably imported Chinese stuff rebadged as Make in India. Judging by the insides, light duty transformer was used. So good luck with difficult to drive speakers at high volume. If you liked the sound of cosmic for all these years, then go for pre-loved Norge or Sonodyne amps. Don't worry too much about matching speakers, 8ohms is pretty light load for any amplifier worth its salt. Other options are cheap but good sounding semi diy class D amplifiers modules. BTW what are your plans about repairing cosmic?
Finally some sense. The transformer, heat sink, the cabinet looks good though. Even the Norge AMP where you see the LCD panel and the usb port, it is cheap mass manufactured 'Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu' stuff. Just see if you can repair your Cosmisc AMP. Even a second hand AVR from Yamaha, Marantz, Denon will be better than this.

Hi Friends
Thanks & Regards
Cosmic
I would suggest that you go for it. They initially were based on the Toshiba 2sc5200 and 2sa1943 transistors or equivalent. From hand soldered components the current pix show smd components. So looks like their business has improved for them to either order prebuilt PCB from their suppliers or maybe get the whole board made in China. From individual boards in their older models for pre, power etc they have moved to all in one types. Though I don't own one, i keep following them online just to see what they are up to. Being based near Mumbai means that repairs are easy by sending to them.

Getting someone to repair old solid state amps with the correct parts and pots, especially log/audio taper pots with centre tap for loudness, is getting very difficult. Know anyone good, quick and reliable?
I used to know an ex-employee of Norge named Williams who used to repair my Norge amp. Even he had difficulties in getting proper Phillips log pots. Same goes for SPDT push switches used in input selections. Finally, I gave up and removed volume control, instead used digital vol. control from PC or mobile (Whole locality knows when my phone starts ringing). I have made fan regulators during my engineering college days during 90s, which are still working after 30yrs. Quality of everything has gone down the drain, post Y2K. Philips pots from auth. distributor Apex, Lamington rd bought during 90s and now are of very different quality. I bought few of them and they broke off during initial tightening of its assembly itself! Others had horrible carbon track, which got worn out within few months of use. Now I only use stepped attenuator for volume control with hand matched resistors and relays for input selections. I do all the repairing work myself nowadays and take help from an expert friend who actually does repairing work in Ghatkopar area. If you want, I can PM you his number
I would suggest that you go for it. They initially were based on the Toshiba 2sc5200 and 2sa1943 transistors or equivalent. From hand soldered components the current pix show smd components.
Compared to old designs of Cosmic, this should sound better due to short signal and feedback paths and modern PCB layout. But many people do like the bloated bass of old amps (due to poor damping factor), thanks to psychoacoustics and nostalgia. As the damping factor goes up, amps start sounding more sterile and transparent. BTW I can't see any speaker protection relay, which was notoriously absent in all old Indian amp brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to know an ex-employee of Norge named Williams who used to repair my Norge amp. Even he had difficulties in getting proper Phillips log pots. Same goes for SPDT push switches used in input selections. Finally, I gave up and removed volume control, instead used digital vol. control from PC or mobile (Whole locality knows when my phone starts ringing). I have made fan regulators during my engineering college days during 90s, which are still working after 30yrs. Quality of everything has gone down the drain, post Y2K. Philips pots from auth. distributor Apex, Lamington rd bought during 90s and now are of very different quality. I bought few of them and they broke off during initial tightening of its assembly itself! Others had horrible carbon track, which got worn out within few months of use. Now I only use stepped attenuator for volume control with hand matched resistors and relays for input selections. I do all the repairing work myself nowadays and take help from an expert friend who actually does repairing work in Ghatkopar area. If you want, I can PM you his number
That would be great to know someone who can repair old SS, please could you share his details

Compared to old designs of Cosmic, this should sound better due to short signal and feedback paths and modern PCB layout. But many people do like the bloated bass of old amps (due to poor damping factor), thanks to psychoacoustics and nostalgia. As the damping factor goes up, amps start sounding more sterile and transparent. BTW I can't see any speaker protection relay, which was notoriously absent in all old Indian amp brands.
Hi
It would be great if you could share the number of the person who could service old Amplifiers .Thanks

The last time that happened to me, which is an old amp dying on me after years of service(my sonodyne and arphi amps) I strip them for parts. Old stepped attenuators, switches, transformers, etc. The chasis, knobs and transformers are most appreciated.

They make the base for a few of my diy projects.

so much cost savings to be had.

Pulz, thats one brand i had forgotten. Saw it here. Pre, power combo 👍

The Technics deck and the Pioneer TT bring back such fond menories !

Thanks !

Manek
I use to visit his collection. He is humble person and has reasonable price too.Not exotic collection but some basic good stuffs .He has many cosmic, Sonodyne amp and Big speaker collection. But he has big Vinyl collection.

Pulz, thats one brand i had forgotten. Saw it here. Pre, power combo 👍

The Technics deck and the Pioneer TT bring back such fond menories !

Thanks !

Manek
Hi
I too own Pulz Pre Power Combination
RS 100 and RS 250 ......very nice.

Last year I added the Power Amp HA400 from Pulz .......to my collection .
I have always liked the Pulz Sound.......It was nice seeing the video .
Thanks
Manoj

Back