Audio Quality on Nvidia Shield TV

amp

Hello everybody!

I am looking for some advice on improving the sound quality from my shield TV. My current setup is HDMI from Shield to the TV and then audio output through the TV's 3.5mm jack to my active speakers (JBL LSR 305).

I was earlier using Kodi on Rasberry PI as my source for playing local content on HDD through a Hifiberry DAC. The DAC has coaxial output and the sound quality was substantially better.

Would anyone have any ideas if it is still possible to use my hifiberry DAC along with the NVIDIA shield? Can I get audio output through the shield's USB port to a cheap USB DAC? Would that make things better?

Thanks for all your advice!

Hello everybody!

I am looking for some advice on improving the sound quality from my shield TV. My current setup is HDMI from Shield to the TV and then audio output through the TV's 3.5mm jack to my active speakers (JBL LSR 305).

I was earlier using Kodi on Rasberry PI as my source for playing local content on HDD through a Hifiberry DAC. The DAC has coaxial output and the sound quality was substantially better.

Would anyone have any ideas if it is still possible to use my hifiberry DAC along with the NVIDIA shield? Can I get audio output through the shield's USB port to a cheap USB DAC? Would that make things better?

Thanks for all your advice!
In all likelihood, this is because your speakers expect line-level input (typically +- 1V rms) while your TV 3.5mm jack is headphone level which is higher than line-level which would lead to distorted o/p from your speakers

I am not familiar with the shield TV but wouldn't it have line level RCA output jacks?

In all likelihood, this is because your speakers expect line-level input (typically +- 1V rms) while your TV 3.5mm jack is headphone level which is higher than line-level which would lead to distorted o/p from your speakers

I am not familiar with the shield TV but wouldn't it have line level RCA output jacks?

Nopes - there's only HDMI output available. The output is not really distorted ...they sound fine but lack the punch in the base that I was getting with my hifiberry dac on raspberry pi

Get a DAC. Use the optical out from your Shield to the DAC, and then connect the DAC outputs to your active speakers.

Get a DAC. Use the optical out from your Shield to the DAC, and then connect the DAC outputs to your active speakers.

The Shield does not have an optical out. I believe one has to buy a supported USB to optical out adapter. Any recommendations for a basic DAC?

The Shield does not have an optical out. I believe one has to buy a supported USB to optical out adapter. Any recommendations for a basic DAC?

My mistake. Why not optical out from your TV to DAC ?

My mistake. Why not optical out from your TV to DAC ?

I have a VU TV. Not sure how clean the optical out from the TV would be. The panel is decent but there's nothing much to write home about this TV apart from it

Headphone out on TV's should be scrapped. Use a digital signal to the dac to feed the speakers. Optical out from shield or tv. Or get a hdmi extractor and use its optical out if no other component has a digital out.

MaSh

Headphone out on TV's should be scrapped. Use a digital signal to the dac to feed the speakers. Optical out from shield or tv. Or get a hdmi extractor and use its optical out if no other component has a digital out.

MaSh
Yaa totally agree. Audio headphone jack on TVs should be done away with. Bluetooth and optical out should be the minimum norm.

Thanks for your replies.

Any recommendations for a budget DAC which can use optical input?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back