Audio ranges and db levels

kaushik

there is a nice article on typical freq and db levels of the common sounds .we come across various types of ppl here who are searching for speaker,amplifier,home theater gear etc.But just a simple set of audio equipments is not suitable for all types of sounds...what is the recommended strategy while purchasing audio equipment is that,is to make sure the new purchase at least satisfies some good deal of frequencies that normally the type of music hear contains.

It is not like itz a pro-audio system and it is good for all types of music ,itz a well known truth the equipment combination creates a blend of frequencies that varies with the input material.

for this purchase one will be spending ample amount of money and to satisfy his music taste
proper auditioning is very important .so the link gives you an idea of the frequencies and db levels.

how it will be helpful?
well just see the ranges of frequency ,and one can make a good choice of CDs where the music is created with the instruments of interest ,the span of instruments /sounds to be choosen will be easy if one can have afair idea of the frequency bands.

One more factor is the material the speakers are built of ,for example a silk dome tweeter is very smooth on highs hence a preferred component in a stereo setup ,whereas polycone tweeter will do fine in a movie setup etc.

not to add too much technical terms as it will turn down a general reader ...just have a look at the spectrum n you will know why your system is good at some music and not so good at some other types..:)

here is the link, thought it will be helpful :

What's in your Music

Instrument Frequency range Hz
Piano (concert) ------27.50 - 4,186.00
Bass Tuba ------43.65 - 349.23
Double Bass ------41.20 - 246.94
Cello ------ 65.41 - 987.77
Viola ------ 130.81 -1,174.00
Violin ------ 196.00 - 3,136.00
Clarinet ------ 164.81 - 1,567.00
Flute ------ 261.63 - 3,349.30
French horn ------ 110.00 - 880.00
Trombone ------ 82.41 - 493.88
Trumpet ------ 164.81 - 987.77
Guitar ------ 82.41 - 880.00

Last edited:
Hi,

Good going Kaushik !! you always are upto something !! keep it going buddy !

This can infact throw some light on various claims by speakers makers !! so very good that you brought it to the forum members notice !!

Regards.

thank you shreekanth,
just sharing knowledge ,i hope will ,refine the truths we
know /believe ...
.also i hope you too will share part of knowledge on the audio sections from the vast experience you have in audio
,one comment at last ,
i am just a transport in this type of threads ....:D

Kaushik,

"Knowledge shared is knowledge gained". Keep it up. Always your posts provide new information which is very useful to forum members. By this post, forum members able to check the frequency range and decide the speakers based on their music choice. Thank you for sharing.

thank you shreekanth,
just sharing knowledge ,i hope will ,refine the truths we
know /believe ...
.also i hope you too will share part of knowledge on the audio sections from the vast experience you have in audio
,one comment at last ,
i am just a transport in this type of threads ....:D

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back