• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Audio Research preamp

Wharfedale EVO4.4 Speaker

murali

I am buying a Audio Research preamp and the choice is between the Reference 3 (the model now replaced with Reference 5) and LS-26. If anyone has heard or used any of these, I shall be grateful to receive your opinions. Thanks in advance.

murali

odyssey

I am buying a Audio Research preamp and the choice is between the Reference 3 (the model now replaced with Reference 5) and LS-26. If anyone has heard or used any of these, I shall be grateful to receive your opinions. Thanks in advance.

murali

I have had/heard the Ref 3, please let us know your amp and other associated components.

cheers

murali

Ayre C-5xe, Ayre V-5xe (which I may upgrade to MX-R), Vandersteen 2Ce Signature (which I am upgrading to Quattro), Audioquest ICs and speaker cables.

murali

reignofchaos

More hype than substance. I had a chance to audition an ARC Ref3 + Ref100 and a CD5 with a pair of Proac Response floorstanders. In comparison to the all Sim Audio Moon + Dynaudio Confidence C2 setup in the very same room, it sounded muddy, bloated and craptastic. It could be a mismatch of components but after that audition, I can't recommend ARC to anyone.

marsilians

The AR pair well with the Vandersteeen's HOWEVER you need to audition them for an extended period of time as they have a very distinct sound signature. Some people mistake it for very laid back though I consider it is very neutral.

Other options to consider are Conrad Johnson, BAT, McIntosh, Mark Levison.

dinyaar

Hi
I would not say they are all hype but i do feel they are really overpriced for what it offers. I too have only heard the REF 3 but have heard almost all Simaudio with Thiels/avalons/Morels/MA golds and the amplification has never really impressed. I am poor with model Nos but i heard the small integrated then the larger integrated and lastly the huge pre/powers with the super Nova cdp.
Rgds

murali

Thanks for the information so far.
Just to add more info about my change to ARC, it will replace the VTL 5.5 I am using now which has no balanced inputs. I wish to go all balanced and therefore, in the process intend to sell the VTL and go a step up to Audio Research.

murali