Audio Stuff in Nedherland

mohamednaseer

Hello Friends,

I am in nedherland i have visited here for my project.Any audio related stuff available in nederland.I am now in Amersfoot .

With Regards,

Naseer

you tell us since tou are there :rolleyes:

Hahahaha! :lol:

Customes duties are very high over there or so I heard. Maybe higher than in India?

Can you chat with local dealers and inform us the price of most common A/V gear? A published pricelist will help.

Cheers

Hi,

I am not sure about Amersfoot but i was in Amsterdam for quite some time. There are a few AV equipment shops in Leidstraat( this road is perpendicular to leidseplein). Also outside the city on the way to the tulip gardens there a huge Electronics retail showroom. But i dont remember the name and location. It is situated right next to a stadium.
Regarding the prices, i dont think they are cheap.

BR
Sushanth

@anm,

I didnt find many AV shops in Oslo. Close to Aker brygge(shopping complex) there are a few shops which deal with AV stuff. But i dont think they are cheap either. Right below our office building there was a BOSE showroom and the prices quoted were definitely more than the Indian prices. Not sure about other electronic brands though. In General Norway everything is quite pricey.

Cheers
S

I have a friend in norway these days. Does norway has anything to offer in cheap and good electronics

Hi Anm,

You can ask your friend to look out for Tandberg tape decks.Their decks were top class and some say better than the NAKS.
He might be able to find them for little money.

Tandberg is not in the audio line now but are more into videoconferencing systems now.

Hi Mohamednaseer,

Yes, you may find audio equipments to be quite costly in Holland, as others may have also suggested. But you must be having the Schengen Visa, so you could possibly try out neighbouring Germany, towns like Aachen (smallish town) bordering on Holland and Belgium and nearby big cities like Koeln. In continental Western Europe, Germany used to be the cheapest when I lived there.

Between 1988-92 I lived in Germany in the border town called Aachen, and I used to go to Amsterdam and Utrecht for collaboration with Dutch people. Amasterdam was about two hour's drive. At that time, I tried several shops in Maastricht (an hour's drive from Aachen, but in Holland, by the river Maas) and they were way more expensive than shops in Aachen.

I bought almost all my audio stuff from a shop called Allopach in Aachen. I was there last in 1996, and that shop was still there. Actually it still exists and is a good shop.

In Koeln, you will get many shops too. Actually that whole province of Rheinische Westfallen and neighboring regions has many many twons all very close to Holland, like Duesseldorf, Wuppertal, Bonn, Duisburg, Dortmund, Essen, Bochum in addition to Aachen and Koeln. These are all about an hour's drive of each other.

For these towns in Germany, by road, you have to enter either through Eindohoven and Herlen (closest to the Aachen side) or through Venlo (closest to the Dortmund) side.

Of course, my ideas are based on the Germany I lived in, and significantly before the start of the European Union. But since then how the economic developments have affected the internal tax structure, I do not know. But the basic prices of things are still cheaper in Germany, I believe.

Regards.

Hello Friends,

I am in nedherland i have visited here for my project.Any audio related stuff available in nederland.I am now in Amersfoot .

With Regards,

Naseer

I had been in Amersfoort several times between 2000 and 2005 (used to work for a Dutch company) and a regular visitor to Hobo Hifi. They sell a lot of good audio/video stuff including high-end. You can listen and decide. As someone mentioned, prices will be on the higher side but you can always try a refund of the VAT component.
Especially good if you are looking for some really good Dutch goods like van den Hul cables.

murali

Hi
Can you please suggest any models in particular?

Hi Anm,

You can ask your friend to look out for Tandberg tape decks.Their decks were top class and some say better than the NAKS.
He might be able to find them for little money.

Tandberg is not in the audio line now but are more into videoconferencing systems now.

You can try but i've read a few norwegian guys complaining about high duties in norway on some forums . Infact they sugessted seas was cheaper elsewhere.
Cheers

I'd be willing to pay for Seas drivers direct from factory in Norway if available - they would be pretty cheap, much cheaper than US prices for sure.

IIRC there are some local brands in Norway that turn out decent stuff, but one will have to ask around and search. Lots of guys on the DIY forums are from Scandinavian countries, so the repository of knowledge is pretty good. There may be some used products worth picking up this way.

Amsterdam, no idea. I just knew of two things it is famous for, and electronics is not one of them.

Hi Cranky,
Any part number/ model numbers? Does carrying unshielded drivers cause any problems in luggage checkin etc due to their high power magnets?
Getting 18, 21, 32 inchers may be too much for the guy ;)
regards

I'd be willing to pay for Seas drivers direct from factory in Norway if available - they would be pretty cheap, much cheaper than US prices for sure.

IIRC there are some local brands in Norway that turn out decent stuff, but one will have to ask around and search. Lots of guys on the DIY forums are from Scandinavian countries, so the repository of knowledge is pretty good. There may be some used products worth picking up this way.

Amsterdam, no idea. I just knew of two things it is famous for, and electronics is not one of them.

Hi
Both Holland & Norway are expensive even after reducing the VAT.
Another point to consider is the customs issue in case of a LARGE VAT refund.

Have been to norway and its heaven on earth and i frankly did not get down to checking out audio but have seen great HIFI in stockholm, Copenhagen and in Amsterdam. Bought nothing though.
Nasseer check out the 'other' attractions in amsterdam as IMO it will be more rewarding:D If i were u i would go see the 'nighwatch' (guys its the painting i am referring to !!!!)
Rgds

Last edited:
Yep Amsterdam world famous for paintings and hot caaaars yeaaaaaah :p

hot no doubt...good displays too. but better dont go alone during night (not safe). btw, dont miss a visit to Anne Frank's house.

NL is the home of Kharma speakers. when I was there a local guy told me its possible to visit their Breda factory. But didn't get time to make it.

Like others said av gear in EU is generally expensive than US. But you check on the used/clearance/demo gear. call up the retailers and check if they have any special deals for the items you are interested...thats what I do whenever I visit any country.

Happy Hunting

hot no doubt...good displays too. but better dont go alone during night (not safe). btw, dont miss a visit to Anne Frank's house.

NL is the home of Kharma speakers. when I was there a local guy told me its possible to visit their Breda factory. But didn't get time to make it.

Like others said av gear in EU is generally expensive than US. But you check on the used/clearance/demo gear. call up the retailers and check if they have any special deals for the items you are interested...thats what I do whenever I visit any country.

Happy Hunting

I was going to ask you whether Anne Frank was a speaker manufacturer before I googled and found this :D
Anne Frank Museum Amsterdam - the official Anne Frank House website

nyway Vishan m not the one in Holland the OP's frnd is :)

m a married guy who wud stay far far away from Amsterdam :D apart from of course places like Anne Franks house

though I am tempted for DIY every other moment, I think I will not be able to take it up given other committments and earning my salary.

regards

How much money do you have?

The Seas Exotics (F8 and F4) are nice for boxed fullrangers, though they need some help at both ends and are ~$1000 each.

At the high-end multi-way speaker level, there are the drivers for the Seas Thor/Odin projects, those should be around $1200 total (set of 6). Those are W18 and Millenium tweeter, look up the Seas website. There is also the very nice (W22 and Millennium) set of drivers that Linkwitz's Orion uses, you can clone that project with these drivers and a couple of subwoofers (The Eminence LAB12 looks suitable), the subs can be obtained in India.

At the bottom end are the drivers I'm using for my Seas build and very similar to the stuff in the Amphion and RMJ speakers, the L18 and 27TBFCG (all-metal) or the ER18 and the 27TDFC (paper woofer and silk tweeter), both projects are available on the Zaph audio site. These should be around $300 for a stereo set. For more projects, look up Troels Graven's DIY site, he has many projects using Seas drivers - the PMS comes to mind - a very nice clone of a Sonus Faber. All Seas, all paper, and superb looking performance. Once you select a project, getting the drivers is what you need to do.

I suggest the smaller 6" and 7" drivers, max 8". With some scrounging it is easy to get high power/large drivers in India, but quality mids and tweeters come at huge premiums. Everything above is located on Google and the Seas website, have fun :)

The boxes will not be very large, but it will attract the eye of customs. So be sure you have proper invoices for this sort of stuff.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back