Audio Technica ATH AD700 Open Back Headphones: Any Comments?

sound and music

I friend of mine from UK is visiting me and bringing Audio Technica AD700 open back HP next week. In India, I could not find a dealer who deals with them.

I will post my comments then.

I am really curious about this HP as all over the internet (e.g., head-fi, new egg, amazon, audio review, what hifi) people have posted very positive reviews and comments about them. I must admit that I have not listened to them but have used Senn (595, 600) and Philips (9000, 8900) in the past. I have sold Senns largely because they are overpriced (and overhyped) as far as sound quality is concerned. While Philips is still with me, it is a real value for money product. I shall be using AD700 essentially for music and some times for gaming.

Meanwhile if there users of this headphone in this forum, I would like to know what have been their impressions and experiences.

I would be using them with my Marantz CD player, Edirol and creative monitors, Nokia phone and computer with a seperate sound card. If I don't like their sound signature, I might put it on sale.

I have sold Senns largely because they are overpriced (and overhyped) as far as sound quality is concerned.

Overpriced in india = yes.

Over hyped abt the sound quality ? i would want to differ from that completely.

having listed to the HD 555,595,580,600,650 and most of the audio technica including the one you have mentioned, i would say that the all the Sen's ive mentioned excluding the HD555 is far better than the ATH AD700. The HD 555 and AD700 is a quite good comparison, where the 555 ia very good all rounder but AD700 shines in certain kind of music plus it has better highs.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with several phones including AD700.

I am also trying to get Senn 800 for a day or two for purely test purposes as I can't afford it presently. If my efforts succeed, then i will also post my review of it.

^ Liking a headphone is highly dependent upon the type of music one listens to really, so depending upon that one many like the sound signature offered by a particular manufacturer . If u like audio technica then u should get the W1000 or 5000 cause those were the only audio technica HP's i liked.These headphones and tube heap amp will be real good combo.

The HD800 is an excellent headphone but not for all cause its quite analytical.

Hmmm would slightly beg to differ though I'm not an audiophile here but I love the ATH-AD700's, by far the best Headphones I've ever own. They sounds really good for music, haven't watched many movies with them though to comment. But again I don't have any hi-fi music equipments but anyway have never regretted getting these phones.

I have sold Senns largely because they are overpriced (and overhyped) as far as sound quality is concerned.

I would be using them with my Marantz CD player, Edirol and creative monitors, Nokia phone and computer with a seperate sound card. If I don't like their sound signature, I might put it on sale.

Without a proper source feeding a proper LINE LEVEL signal to a good headphone amplifier; every headphone will sound over-hyped and over-rated to your ears.

HD600 is a fairly neutral headphone with a slightly dark presentation... K701/K702/HD800 are far more neutral when amped well. But HD600 over-hyped??

Try them with a proper amp and let me know! ;)

Thanks all for your feedback.

I mostly listen to smooth jazz, classical, ghazals, old film songs, new age and instrumental music.

For music, I had used Senns 595 and 600 with my marantz CD player 5001, Marantz amp PM 80 besides Musical Fidelity HP amp. Somehow I was not pleased with 600 despite paying considerable money (the most expensive purchase of HPs till date) and bought it in Singapore. Though Indian prices are even higher. I found mids were muddy and there was a lack of transparency.

Surprisingly I found Philips 9000 a real gem in terms of sound quality, comfort and value for money. I paid close to Rs. 3500 for it and enjoying it very much. I am going to keep it forever. It has a very refined and tight bass (some listener find it weak) but it suits me as I don't like bassy sound.

Are there any dealers of AKG consumer HPs in India? I could not find any while searching on the net. There are some dealers but I checked with them and they largely deal with DJ/Professional stuff and don't keep models such as 701/702.

Are there any dealers of AKG consumer HPs in India? I could not find any while searching on the net. There are some dealers but I checked with them and they largely deal with DJ/Professional stuff and don't keep models such as 701/702.

I don't think you can get the K702 from retail in India.

But do call:

AKG India: Mr. Nirdosh Agarwal

Best is to buy the K702 direct from HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories

They have excellent service and will ship to you via Fedex within a week.

Their HR Ultra Micro Amp is a great one and will drive your K702 well.

Even better amp for the K702 would be the SPL Auditor.

Another extremely musical option would be the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P, known to synergize with the K702.

The stock cable of the K701/K702 are known to be average... get the ALO Audio Cyroparts cable. (Do a search for ALO Audio). Or get the Cardas cable upgrade from HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories

The K701/K702 need lots of careful burn-in to sound their best... I will help you out with this.

They are also very transparent and can sound harsh/analytical with the wrong recording.

But you can hear deep into good recordings!

The older K501/K1000(both discontinued) are said to be better than the K701, in terms of mid-range tonality, by some... but you have to buy used.

Use revealing phone like the K702 with good sources.... bad sources will make your ears bleed.

Regards,
Bhanja.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back