Audio Technica ATLP60 Line sound issue

ambuly_d

Hi.. I bought AT LP60 from Canada and using a converter (cheap) from India for voltage. The TT is connected to a Sonodyne PCube speaker. In Phono mode there is a faint sound however in Line mode there is no sound at all from the speaker... i contacted Sonodyne they said could be issue with the converter as the speaker should work as it is working with our normal other dvd players easily...

AT service folks from India said they need to see it physically because as per photos everything was looking ok...

So do you think the voltage converter can be an issue here? that too causing no sound at all in Line?

What else can be issue.?
Also what kind of phono speaker can I use if there is no Line issue resolution for now?

Thanks in advance
IMG-20180604-WA0028 (2).jpgIMG-20180604-WA0024 (1).jpgIMG-20180604-WA0026.jpg

1. Could be the step down transformer if it's outputting lower then required voltage.

2. Technicaly in direct phono out it would be striaght signal as the signal doesn't undergo any amplification but signal will need a Phono preamp to boost it up. So you won't hear any or little sound when inputting PHONO signals to your active speakers. They don't seem to have phono preamp
inbuilt.

3 . When you switch to LINE OUT make sure that the toggle switch is properly working. If it doesn't work maybe the inbuilt phono preamp of your TT is the culprit.

P.S. : You may also want to check your interconnects.

Is your LP spinning? if it is? voltage converter seems to be working. Try switching from line and phono in turntable for a couple of times as sometimes switch may not be working properly.

I am also using a cheap converter and it is working fine with LP60.

1. Could be the step down transformer if it's outputting lower then required voltage.

2. Technicaly in direct phono out it would be striaght signal as the signal doesn't undergo any amplification but signal will need a Phono preamp to boost it up. So you won't hear any or little sound when inputting PHONO signals to your active speakers. They don't seem to have phono preamp
inbuilt.

3 . When you switch to LINE OUT make sure that the toggle switch is properly working. If it doesn't work maybe the inbuilt phono preamp of your TT is the culprit.

P.S. : You may also want to check your interconnects.
1. But TT is turning.. is it possible that low voltage is not making the preamp work? Also the phono speed is weird.. little erratic
2. If I buy speakers with phono preamp will it work? any suggested speakers?
3. Toggle switch is working... checking if preamp is working can be done by any local electronic guy or better to check with AT service in India..problem is distance :-(
4. what are interconnects?

Is your LP spinning? if it is? voltage converter seems to be working. Try switching from line and phono in turntable for a couple of times as sometimes switch may not be working properly.

I am also using a cheap converter and it is working fine with LP60.

LP is spinning but looks erratic when the faint sound in Phono is coming... speed is erratic ..little bit.. the speaker service guy told that voltage maybe reaching LP but not the preamp..to use a good quality converter and try... what do you think?

LP is spinning but looks erratic when the faint sound in Phono is coming... speed is erratic ..little bit.. the speaker service guy told that voltage maybe reaching LP but not the preamp..to use a good quality converter and try... what do you think?

Turntable is not very power hungry but it is worth checking after changing the converter. May be it is not supplying the required voltage. What do you mean by erratic spinning? Did you fix the rubber belt properly? Do you hear a sound when needle touches the record? I also hope you did not connect the power cable directly into mains as it might also lead to some problem.

1. But TT is turning.. is it possible that low voltage is not making the preamp work? Also the phono speed is weird.. little erratic
2. If I buy speakers with phono preamp will it work? any suggested speakers?
3. Toggle switch is working... checking if preamp is working can be done by any local electronic guy or better to check with AT service in India..problem is distance :-(
4. what are interconnects?

Well.

Stop using this transformer period.

Since the LP spin is erratic the problem seems to be the stepdown transformer.

It's not supplying proper voltage. See if any switches are there on transformer for selecting the output voltage.

Try another transformer and then maybe the problem would resolve itself.

Turntable is not very power hungry but it is worth checking after changing the converter. May be it is not supplying the required voltage. What do you mean by erratic spinning? Did you fix the rubber belt properly? Do you hear a sound when needle touches the record? I also hope you did not connect the power cable directly into mains as it might also lead to some problem.

Rubber belt is fitted properly.. I have a video but don't think I can share a video here?... power cable goes to the voltage converter which goes to the main power... that's ok right? Erratic means the song sound (faint one in phono) seems like suddenly going out of sync fast or slow..but as the sound is so low in phono that as of now it is not really worth judging... changing convereter is something I am doing right away? do you have any amazon suggestions ?

Well.

Stop using this transformer period.

Since the LP spin is erratic the problem seems to be the stepdown transformer.

It's not supplying proper voltage. See if any switches are there on transformer for selecting the output voltage.

Try another transformer and then maybe the problem would resolve itself.
ya. i think changing is the 1st thing we will do now.. do you have any suggestions on brands etc? on Amazon maybe?

Please explain from:

"The TT is connected to a Sonodyne PCube speaker. In Phono mode there is a faint sound however in Line mode there is no sound at all from the speaker."

1/ what type of input does the PCube support? Does it support line level input (like the output of a CD player or radio tuner or mobile headphone output)? Did you try any other source like the above mentioned?

2/ when you say before Phono mode and Line mode, is that a selectable setting in the turntable?

I don't know what PCube expects as input but I think it will be expecting a line level signal.

Also, the Phono and Line outputs of your turntable ought to be:

Phono: means you need to connect an external phono preamp.

Line: means it's the output of the turntable's internal phono preamp, and hence a line level signal that can be plugged in directly to a line level input.

Bottomline: you will hear a faint sound if you choose preamp output and a clear loud sound with Line.

Please explain from:

"The TT is connected to a Sonodyne PCube speaker. In Phono mode there is a faint sound however in Line mode there is no sound at all from the speaker."

1/ what type of input does the PCube support? Does it support line level input (like the output of a CD player or radio tuner or mobile headphone output)? Did you try any other source like the above mentioned?

2/ when you say before Phono mode and Line mode, is that a selectable setting in the turntable?

I don't know what PCube expects as input but I think it will be expecting a line level signal.

Also, the Phono and Line outputs of your turntable ought to be:

Phono: means you need to connect an external phono preamp.

Line: means it's the output of the turntable's internal phono preamp, and hence a line level signal that can be plugged in directly to a line level input.

Bottomline: you will hear a faint sound if you choose preamp output and a clear loud sound with Line.
1. It supports line level input. I even checked with Sonodyn folks and they said connection wise it looks ok.. I sent the same pics to them as well....I did not try any other output speaker though but it should be same right ? speakers are ok as working with other input players
2. There is a selectable setting in the TT. When it is taken to line it is not giving any output sound

1. Try to connect any simple aux of amp if you have to check it's voice out put.
2. You can check it's out put through a simple db meter (multimeter)
2. Check AC connection (phase & neutral) from step down transformer.

1. Try to connect any simple aux of amp if you have to check it's voice out put.
2. You can check it's out put through a simple db meter (multimeter)
2. Check AC connection (phase & neutral) from step down transformer.
1. will try that
2. ok..will check tomorrow
3. step down transformer is givinn output at TT is turning.. so?

Rubber belt is fitted properly.. I have a video but don't think I can share a video here?... power cable goes to the voltage converter which goes to the main power... that's ok right? Erratic means the song sound (faint one in phono) seems like suddenly going out of sync fast or slow..but as the sound is so low in phono that as of now it is not really worth judging... changing convereter is something I am doing right away? do you have any amazon suggestions ?
Awaiting reply.. also can you suggest some speakers with phono setting?

Awaiting reply.. also can you suggest some speakers with phono setting?

This should work fine. If not you can always return it. MX products are generally good. I believe I have the same.

https://www.amazon.in/Maxcon-Voltag...693442&sr=8-3&keywords=240v+to+120v+converter

I don't think there will be any speakers with phono inputs. Only amp comes with phono input or you will have to buy a separate phone preamp.
But first thing first. Just try it with above adaptor. Inbuilt phono stage in AT LP60 is decent enough to start.

This should work fine. If not you can always return it. MX products are generally good. I believe I have the same.

https://www.amazon.in/Maxcon-Voltag...693442&sr=8-3&keywords=240v+to+120v+converter

I don't think there will be any speakers with phono inputs. Only amp comes with phono input or you will have to buy a separate phone preamp.
But first thing first. Just try it with above adaptor. Inbuilt phono stage in AT LP60 is decent enough to start.
So we got our converter checked by a electrician... he said power output is ok... anything else to check? Db meter check was not done though..need to do from the line output

so could it be the preamp of the device has some issue? I am trying to arrange another speaker to check but that does not look like the problem?

if we use phono preamp now, we have to connect the phono output from LP to the preamp and then to our speakers right?

if we use phono preamp now, we have to connect the phono output from LP to the preamp and then to our speakers right?

Please read the manual to confirm. It's difficult to say from a distance what AT means by phono and line.

Please read the manual to confirm. It's difficult to say from a distance what AT means by phono and line.
phono is direct output.. Line is where the inbuilt preamp is activated which can be used for powered speakers.. I am not getting output at Line however in Phono I am getting faint sound..can I use an external preamp to use this signal so that at least it can be used while we check the Line issue?

phono is direct output.. Line is where the inbuilt preamp is activated which can be used for powered speakers.. I am not getting output at Line however in Phono I am getting faint sound..can I use an external preamp to use this signal so that at least it can be used while we check the Line issue?

I agree with your assessment that the inbuilt phono preamp seems to be the problem.

Yes, you can surely use an external phono preamp.

Back