Audio Technica LP60

Venkata Aditya

I recently bought an AT LP60 (not the USB model) from Amazon - Audio-Technica AT-LP60 Automatic Belt Driven DJ Turntable (Silver) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D-hfCbSDXJGN9

This is a imported model from US and the cover clearly had instructions for a 115V supply. But since India has 220V connection and converters are 220V to 110V, I bought one, connected the turntable using the converter and switched the output of the TT to Line (as I was directly plugging it to speakers, and since the TT has a built in preamp).

Now the problem is - there is a *very* faint sound from the TT but none from the speakers. I tried switching to phono output and the speakers blurted a faint sound too, which is natural for a phono.

Is the only preamp not working properly? - I checked the switch, flicked it multiple times but line still didn't give any output.

Is it the voltage? - 115V was asked and I'm supplying 110V. Is that the issue?

The converter is a cheap one I bought from a nearby electrical store.

Please please help me find answers! I need to get this working!

The TT has Built in Preamp.
You connected TT directly to the speakers.
Are these speakers ACTIVE?
Do they have Line Level Input?

1. You cannot connect it directly to your speakers unless they are active speakers(with built in amplifier) .
2.Can you borrow an external phono preamp? Connect the RC cables of your turntable to the input of the external preamp and another set of cables from the output of the preamp to the line-in(aux) of an integrated amplifier and then to your speakers. If this works, then the preamp in your turntable is the issue.

Now the problem is - there is a *very* faint sound from the TT but none from the speakers.
If sound is only coming from TT than this could be transformer or motor inside. Old transformers laminations or cheap transformers do vibrate. However these sounds do travel from TT body to Cartridge to speakers.
5 V difference is OK as it will be ultimately converted to DC V for the motor.
check the wattage of the converter. More wattage than require is good.
Regards

....If turntable is new and in warranty I would not recommend to open it. So see if changing converter solves the problem.

I recently bought an AT LP60 (not the USB model) from Amazon - Audio-Technica AT-LP60 Automatic Belt Driven DJ Turntable (Silver) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D-hfCbSDXJGN9

This is a imported model from US and the cover clearly had instructions for a 115V supply. But since India has 220V connection and converters are 220V to 110V, I bought one, connected the turntable using the converter and switched the output of the TT to Line (as I was directly plugging it to speakers, and since the TT has a built in preamp).

Now the problem is - there is a *very* faint sound from the TT but none from the speakers. I tried switching to phono output and the speakers blurted a faint sound too, which is natural for a phono.

Is the only preamp not working properly? - I checked the switch, flicked it multiple times but line still didn't give any output.

Please please help me find answers! I need to get this working!
Line output/ preamp cannot be directly connected to speakers directly. You need to connect either the line out to an external phono pre amp to line in of int amp or connect the phono out to the line in of some int amp. The int amp's speaker outs will be connected to the speakers. Everything will be fine. The very faint sound coming out of turntable is from the belt pulley mechanism and/ or the transformer.

Dear Aditya, I am certain that you need a phono amp/integrated amp, if your speakers are passive. Please connect the line out of your turntable to a phono amp line in of the amplifier. From the phono or integrated amplifier out you could then connect your right and left speaker cables.
Please check your speakers if it is Active or Passive. The link to the amazon you have sent also states in the description that the turntable has a pure amp and it need powered speakers, which is in fact called Active speakers. If you have active speakers surely you can connect to line in of your speakers, All the best.

Dear Mr .Aditya I also bought the same deck during the puja through Amazon .in .But I haven't encountered any issue just as you have. But I am surprised at the matter that you have connected the deck to a converter. I did not use any converter as I came to know from Amazon customer care that it doesn't require such stuff. However you can contact Amazon.in customer care to get your problem solved. Also make sure your speakers are active ones. The turntable has a fine phono preamp (atleast in this price point). Please contact Amazon since the TT has been within the warranty period. Hope your problem will be solved and you can be proud of this treasure soon.
Regards
Bhaskar

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back