Audioengine A5 For USD 325 On Amazon!

What amp+speakers would you advice in the 30K range to compete with these? The closest I could find (for the sound that i LIKE) is a 24K marantz + 30 k wharfedale = :( more money than i would like to spend right now.
I havent heard bookshelves at all - i will give them a try.
So - any tips? also, what did you buy?

Ok I don't want to confuse you, sp here's how I went about it. YMMV!

Initially decided to spend around 20k, the only thing available was A5, but didn't like the warranty conditions and frequent complaints from people who have it in India about repeated failures and other issues.

After auditioning for around 3-4 months, I identified the speakers and amps that I liked. The budget came to around 75k-100k for a stereo system. Much more for a 5.1 av + fronts/center/rears/sub, so I decided to stick to 2.0 and get a sub for 2.1 in some time. Moreover I didn't like the avrs at all compared to the stereo amps when it comes to music.

My setup came to around 75k. Dali Lektor 2 Bookshelves + Marantz PM 7003 amplifier + Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card.

So my advice is:
If you have a fixed budget of <20K and are willing to compromise on the above mentioned issues, go ahead. A5's great and hopefully should last you for a few years. Just that you won't be able to reuse these when you decide to go for an avr+speakers or amp+speakers later on. For example, my AMP has a power out, so I can connect an AVR to it and drive the front speakers. ANd I can use the bookshelves that I currently have as rears and get great sounding floorstanders (like Dali Ikon 6 or MA RS6 or better ones). So I reuse everything I have!

About the 30k wharfedale, I can't say anything. I have auditioned around 10 floorstanders and I didn't like anything that cost below 55-60k. Moreover I find that in conventional flats/apartments bookshelves sound really nice. I personally hate the way the wharfedales sounded when I auditioned them last year. I would buy the Quad 11L or 12L bookshelves anyday instead of the wharfedale FS which comes at the same price.

If given a budget below 30k, I would have a hard choice since that means compromising on something or the other. I would probably get a Marantz PM5003 stereo amp and Dali Lektor 1 speakers for around 40k, or get cheaper speakers for 10-15k (search for those in the forum) to a total of 30-35k. Still that's twice the price of the A5, so if you are really particular on the budget, stick to it and get the A5!

i should be auditioning the A5's soon.
i will post a review hopefully to see how they stack up against a 40k ( amp bookshelf speaker combo)

bhaskie has ofcourse liked his stereo setupover the A5's but one should note that his spaeker amp combo runs into 70k aadn above
for that kinda money im sure it wud beat the A5's
what i wanna know(and so does vaibhav ithink) is how they stack up against a 40k amp speaker combo?

anyone else here ( except moserw! ) who has auditioned both ?

BTW I'm wondering what amp+speaker package would come in the 40K range. The only one I'm aware of is Norge, but I've never auditioned Norge. Do give some combos for a stereo setup in the 35-40K range. Lots of people I personally know are interested in such a setup i.e. costing 35-40K.

Edit - The combo should sound good with a budget DVDP (well at least decent). Most I know don't have a dedicated CDP and cannot afford one either.

i should be auditioning the A5's soon.
i will post a review hopefully to see how they stack up against a 40k ( amp bookshelf speaker combo)

bhaskie has ofcourse liked his stereo setupover the A5's but one should note that his spaeker amp combo runs into 70k aadn above
for that kinda money im sure it wud beat the A5's
what i wanna know(and so does vaibhav ithink) is how they stack up against a 40k amp speaker combo?

anyone else here ( except moserw! ) who has auditioned both ?

Last edited:
@bhaskie - Your setup sounds divine. I'm wondering what media player you're using. Give cPlay a try if you've not done it already. It will take the music/SQ to the next level. Music will be cleaner, with a larger soundstage, with amazing clarity, etc.

hmm moserji ji
your freinds could try

amps ( all in grey except NAD and yam)
NAD325 - 21.5k
marantz Pm 6002 - 18k
marantz PM 400* - 16k
denon PMA 500 - 15k
denon PMA 700 - 18k
nad 315bee - 17-18k ( yes it sounds good to )
yamaha AX397 - 17k
yamaha AX 497 - 22k
marantz PM 7000 sereis ( 23k)

speakers(all with bill unless stated)
warfedale 9.1 - 12k
warfedale 9.2 - 14.5k
kef IQ 10 -15k
kef older series IQ -3 1 - 18k
psb alpha B1 - 13-14k
MA BR2 - 17k
PSB image B25 - 21.5k (demo)
Tannoy F1 - 17k

in grey u can gets loads
warfedale 9.5 ( 23k 2months ago dunno what price today)
klipich
jamo s606 - 20k

and loads and loads of pre owned or used stuff

above are gear ive auditioned and liked there are many others ive auditioned but not liked over these so ive not listed them

any of the above combos should fit that budget na?
you may even have enough left over for cables or courier charges from mumbai to your city!

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm a firm believer in Wharfedale at that budget and they're available locally. Denon I've not seen anything in the price range you've mentioned. The starting price for them is around 40K or so if I remember from my last audition. Ditto for the HK too I auditioned and even worse they are available for auditioning only with JBL speakers which are not too good or way too expensive. Yamaha too only AVRs are available and stereo takes a beating in these days. I've to source Marantz and the other models you've mentioned locally. I will keep you posted how things turn out.

BTW would it be possible to courier them from Mumbai (if they're not available locally) and what would be the payment mode?

And finally bro please drop the "ji"...

hmm moserji ji
your freinds could try

amps ( all in grey except NAD and yam)
NAD325 - 21.5k
marantz Pm 6002 - 18k
marantz PM 400* - 16k
denon PMA 500 - 15k
denon PMA 700 - 18k
nad 315bee - 17-18k ( yes it sounds good to )
yamaha AX397 - 17k
yamaha AX 497 - 22k
marantz PM 7000 sereis ( 23k)

speakers(all with bill unless stated)
warfedale 9.1 - 12k
warfedale 9.2 - 14.5k
kef IQ 10 -15k
kef older series IQ -3 1 - 18k
psb alpha B1 - 13-14k
MA BR2 - 17k
PSB image B25 - 21.5k (demo)
Tannoy F1 - 17k

in grey u can gets loads
warfedale 9.5 ( 23k 2months ago dunno what price today)
klipich
jamo s606 - 20k

and loads and loads of pre owned or used stuff

any of the above combos should fit that budget na?
you may even have enough left over for cables

@ moser and magma - the following can also be added to the list:
amps:
1. CA340A = 17.5k
2. CA340SE=19.6k
3. denon (avr) 1509=23k - i did hear with wharf floors and it was good.

speakers (bs only in this price)
1. MS902i=14k
2. CA S30= 9k (!!)
3. M33i (FS) = 19k (from mumbai)

So totally there're a few combos - least being 26.5K in delhi.
I havent listened to CA and the rest totally paled compared to the marantz+MA / Wharf combo.

moserw
allthe amps ive mentioned are stereo amps .

vaibhav
as ive said before , the equipment ive listed is what i like and would advice
theres loads of other gear ive heard thats in the same budget ( that list is longer)
but i wouldnt advice those over the options ive given

Hey Moser

USD 325 x 50 = Rs.16,250 (plus shipping plus credit card charges)

The same is available - in India - with bill and 3yr Warranty - for 19,500/- ALL INCLUSIVE (including shipping!!) - better still they have a guaranteed 30 day free audition period - if you dont like them, return them in 30 days for a full refund - minus shipping charges.

Audio Products India - Powered stereo speakers for your home and office.

I wish all the other manufacturers can learn from this!![/
Now howQUOTE]

Well, one Indian Mfr does give a full refund 30 day trial, viz Lyrita Audio.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back