Audioengine D1 or Nuforce UDAC 2

samsailo

HI.

I am presently using the creative XMod crystallizer for my laptop audio (Foobar Player) with the Audioengine A2. My collections are 85% FLAC and 15% 320 MP3s. I listen to all sorts of music depending on my mood. I am not really satisfied with the change brought about by the XMod. Though I haven't really tried out any USB DACs I wonder how much improvement will I get using one over the XMod. The XMod upsamples to 24bit but lacks a DAC. I am planning to upgrade to the Audioengine A5+ with the S8 subwoofer in the near future. Can you all guide me on how to go about it, like is it worth investing on a separate DAC like the Audioengine D1 (costs 13500) or the Nuforce UDAC (costs 9900)..PS..I am zeroing down to these two DACs. Budget is strictly below 15k.

In the same time I would also like to know if using an optical input to the DAC would produce a better sound than using the USB (because the above mentioned DACs outputs 24/96 with an USB output but 24/192 with an optical one. And in case it does, what motherboard outputs a good optical? or is it mandatory to add a soundcard capable of optical output with a 24/192.

So here I am, waiting anxiously for your help to satisfy the ears of a computer audiophile.

Cheers guys.

I would say, don't jump the gun. You'd be hard pressed to notice any significant improvements with Audioengine A2s. Most DACs cost more than A2! Once you upgrade, the best way to go about this exercise is to try a few things out. You'll find endless debates over USB v/s optical. For a USB only DAC (and no preamp), look at the HRT Music streamer line too.

If you are convinced that there is going to be a difference - you might hear the difference afterall!

Besides, you should know that upsampling and bit rate increase are absolutely futile exercise because your music is originally at 44.1kHz and 16bits.

Another option is Purepiper A1 DAC. I am using it right now. I am pretty happy with the results. I compared it to analogue out of soundblaster X fi (so that DAC in X fi is working) vs optical out of Xfi fed into Purepiper (So that purepiper is working as DAC). The purepiper is audibly better than analogue out of X-Fi. Sound is much more crisp and clear without loss of bass/mids. This DAC has co-axial in and optical in. It came with USB to s/Pdif converter so that digital signal can be fed to it via USB without intervining X fi. If I compare USB output of PC to Pupepiper vs that via X-fi optical, the sound is very close. Why I have kept x Fi in loop is because volume control is easier (it has volume dial) and I can use Xfi to convert any sound played through it into .mp3 file. I got Purepiper second hand for 5.5k. A new one should cost around 12k. It has the DAC chip identical to the one used in Marantz CD6003 and has very good build quality. No plastic involved in the construction.

Thanks Jaudere, where do you get these DACs, i mean new ones? and what about your opinion on the differences in the sound through the DAC and the Xfi ?

The sound of Purepiper is much better than that through creative X Fi. Much more clear without loss of low end frequencies. On A-B comparison, when I compared anaologue out of X Fi to the analogue outs of Purepiper, it was as if some veil is removed from music. I think it has to be ordered on line. i bought it from forum member Roseboy. He was the first owner. You may PM him for further details about purchase procedure. I am sure though whether he is active on forum now. If you google for Purepiper A1 DAC, you will get the company web site. The site also gives the procedure to place order. It is made in china and chinese product as such. The inner circuits are also very clean. I had opened my piece and even from inside,it is exactly as shown in pics on the company web site. I also confirmed by opening that they really use the Cirrus Logic 4398 chip.

I would say, don't jump the gun. You'd be hard pressed to notice any significant improvements with Audioengine A2s. Most DACs cost more than A2! Once you upgrade, the best way to go about this exercise is to try a few things out. You'll find endless debates over USB v/s optical. For a USB only DAC (and no preamp), look at the HRT Music streamer line too.

disagree...after I added the Audinst MX-1 to my setup recently, it significantly improved the sound compared to my stock stereo out from my HP DV6 laptop. as far as your comment of the DACs costing more than the AE2 go that should not be of no concern, as the source is often the most neglected part of the chain when it actually it is equally important.

you can read my impressions here - http://www.hifivision.com/portable-...56-question-about-open-back-headphones-5.html

The only thing to consider when adding a DAC, is the sound signature, and whether it is as per your taste...the Audinst, e.g. gives a much more darker sound, when i started out my hifi journey 5 years ago, i used to associate brightness with detail...but over a period of time realised what kind of ear fatigiue it causes so now i actually like the dark sound coming from the Audinst...u will have to make your own decision regarding this..

As far as the DAC itself goes, now as the ODAC is available, unless you are looking for a optical also DAC, no reason to buy any DAC other than the ODAC today designed by the NwAVguy.

you can find out more about ODAC in the link below, it is being sold by a few sellers and one of them is also selling it within a casing, while others just the PCB...

NwAvGuy

^^ To add:

I used to use a pair of A2s. I first used to drive them directly from the analog outs of a DVD Player. Later, I got a Beresford Caiman (DAC) and used the coaxial out of the DVD Player to send a digital signal to the Caiman, and used the analog outs of the Caiman to feed the A2s. To me, there was a significant improvement in the way the A2s sounded.

The A2s are very good speakers for the price, and I think they will definitely sound better with a better source within the OP's budget. Going by the improvement I saw in the A2s, I'm certain the A5+ will also show an improvement, with a better source.

The Audinst MX-1 = Double Thumbs Up.

The sound from my setup has been a revelation after I added the Audinst.

I would say that if you are going computer audio route, an external DAC is an absolute must, even for the most entry level setups. You can save money on the other components, but the DAC is pretty much the heart of the system.

The Audinst MX-1 = Double Thumbs Up.

The sound from my setup has been a revelation after I added the Audinst.

I would say that if you are going computer audio route, an external DAC is an absolute must, even for the most entry level setups. You can save money on the other components, but the DAC is pretty much the heart of the system.

would agree wholeheartedly

Hi,
Here is a link to the Purepiper website

Google Translate

Oddly, the quoted price is 1300 $. Difficult to undrestand but I think it is 1300 Yuan rather than 1300 $ . I checked the converter. 1300 Yuan = 204$ which sounds realistic.

Hey thank u guys, since im planing to upgrade to the A5+ and S8 i guess the Audioengine D1 will be a good choice, afterall they are the same manufacturer.
Thanks for everything.

My ODAC is on its way will see how it performs with my 5 th DAC. Now I have a Philips NOS DAC, burr brown 1798, quad Wolfson 8740 and the sabre from ODAC.

Was also interested in the " wire " headphone amplifier kit on DIY audio however the buy is over. Can someone take the trouble of getting the PCB made from PCB power Gujarat. It has four versions. We can do an interest check and a group buy.

"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - diyAudio

My ODAC is on its way will see how it performs with my 5 th DAC. Now I have a Philips NOS DAC, burr brown 1798, quad Wolfson 8740 and the sabre from ODAC.

Please do post your impressions on the ODAC once it lands. I guess there are many of us here that are interested, but the lack of reviews is a factor that is holding back.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back