Audiolab 8200CD vs Marantz KI Pearl

soulforged

A lot of interest has been generated by these two products for their performance both as a CDP and a DAC. Has anybody done a direct comparison between the two? I searched the net but could not find too many resources. What I could find tended more towards Audiolab.

In India, Audiolab has no dealer (or do they...even grey???) but Marantz is available in our own hifimart.com. That is also something that should be weighed.

Do we have any other CDP+DAC combos at this price point?

Thoughts???

I think the right comparision should be Audiolab 8200CD vs Marantz SA KI Pearl Lite. The Pearl is in another price range (about twice the price) of the 8200.

If you are a classical music buff and have a few SACDs only the Marantz can spin that. If you like to plug your MP3 player or thumb drive in via the front USB socket, again only the Marantz will do that. Marantz errs on the side of lushness, Audiolab on the side of attack and is a trifle darker.

I ran into this desicion some 6 months ago and took the Marantz. I figured I needed the safety of after sales service more than the fine difference between 2 very good players (actually I also auditioned the Cyrus 6 and a few others in the 50-80k range).

I ran into this desicion some 6 months ago and took the Marantz. I figured I needed the safety of after sales service more than the fine difference between 2 very good players

Thanks Navin...even I'm leaning towards Marantz for the same reason. What I am looking for as a package is a good CDP and a good external USB DAC to play my music off my computer...what has been your experience with Marantz on this aspect?

Now I have gone ahead and added one more variable to the mix...Oppo 105 :D...if it is as good as they say it is...then it should tick all my boxes. If hand carried from US, the price should not overshoot Audiolab and Marantz by a lot...

Now I have gone ahead and added one more variable to the mix...Oppo 105 :D...if it is as good as they say it is...then it should tick all my boxes. If hand carried from US, the price should not overshoot Audiolab and Marantz by a lot...

The Oppo by all accounts is a fantastic player but it has 2 limitations.

A. There is no sales / service network in India.
B. US versions are Region A / Region 1 for Blu Ray and DVD. While the Blu ray did not scare me as most Blu rays are region free the Region 1 DVD means we cannot play most rented DVDs on it.

It weighs 8 kg and the customs has it value so there will be some duty added to it's cost. If you interested in a local purchase look here
http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...s-new-players-bdp-103-105-a-5.html#post484913

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back