audiolab

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts about Audiolab 8000a amp? How will it go with a marantz cdp and the 9.2s? An used one is on offer for 9k.

cheers,
sri

Hi Sri,

I think it's a very good amp. I must have heard it long time ago. Look at users' reviews at Audiolab 8000A Reviews

How old is it? That's the big question and will also primarily determine the price. Is the original owner selling it? Or, somebody else? Is the inside tampered with? All the usual checks of buying something used apply.

You also need to hear it with your 9.2s. That's the more critical matching.

Regards.

@srikarkav - Any problem with your Marantz amp? I thought its partnership with your Marantz CDP and the Wharfies was good.

Like the Americans I believe "don't fix what's not broken". How much will spending an additional 9K improve your setup?

Now if you are looking for the ultimate music experience then let me tell you I've had the most mileage by improving on the source (PC with unlimited HDD and an Asus Xonar SC) and the speakers and I believe the source is what you need to be working on next.

Hi moser,

I dont think i can go the pc way, cause i hear all my music in my bedroom. I cant have the pc in there. The source selector button on the amp is playing up and sometimes distorts one channel. I fear it may damage my 9.2s. And the amp does not have a remote. So sound control is a little pain. Othrwise i am pretty happy with the amp. I may not invest 9k for the audiolab since i dont know how it will pair with the CDP and 9.2s and it doesent have a remote too.

I may look for another marantz amp, used or new with a remote. Or the easy way is to fix the source selector button soon.

Thanks,
sri

Last edited:
In that case a new amp with warranty would be in order instead of going for used which might again give you the same problems. You could check out Norge for starters.

Hi moser,

I dont think i can go the pc way, cause i hear all my music in my bedroom. I cant have the pc in there. The source selector button on the amp is playing up and sometimes distorts one channel. I fear it may damage my 9.2s. And the amp does not have a remote. So sound control is a little pain. Othrwise i am pretty happy with the amp. I may not invest 9k for the audiolab since i dont know how it will pair with the CDP and 9.2s and it doesent have a remote too.

I may look for another marantz amp, used or new with a remote.

Thanks,
sri

So will norge be as good as the marantz with my present source and speakers? I have read some good reviews about it withe 9.2s. Murali has promised to bring his norge 2060 to my home for audition with the 9.2s. He is looking for speakers and me for an amp:) I may have an idea then and decide afterwards.

cheers,
sri

So will norge be as good as the marantz with my present source and speakers? I have read some good reviews about it withe 9.2s. Murali has promised to bring his norge 2060 to my home for audition with the 9.2s. He is looking for speakers and me for an amp:) I may have an idea then and decide afterwards.

cheers,
sri

While it may not be in the league of the Marantz it will still give you peace of mind right? I've not heard the Norge extensively but what little I heard they are pretty decent and at the price range also unbeatable IMHO. Of course I heard the setup with Wharfies in fact and they were actually quite good. My vote is definitely for them over any used product.

The audiolab is a very good amplifier. Like all amps, you need to listen and decide if the voicing is to your taste.
The pricing of 9k is too good to be true. Make sure you check the credentials or you will end up with a lemon with the audiolab badge :eek:

Never heard an Audiolab, but read up a lot during my amp hunt. Apparently a very well regarded amplifier, known for its highly transparent, and clinical sound. True solid-state. Check it out, see if the condition is good, and if the amp seems to be in good functional order, then 9k may be a very good deal for it.

From what I have read it appears that the Audiolab is likely to be significantly superior to the Norge offerings you would get at that price. Definitely do audition it.

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts about Audiolab 8000a amp? How will it go with a marantz cdp and the 9.2s? An used one is on offer for 9k.

cheers,
sri

cheers,
sri

Hi sri, the Norge 2060 is a good budget amp for its mid range& vocal. But there will be some cracking sound whenever you use the power switch of the amp.Better to mute the sound when you push the power switch.
regards

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back