Auditioned Exposure 2010s2. But...

vikoma

Recently I visited Bangalore and auditioned Exposure 2010s2. My purpose is to explore amplifier options for PSB Image T6. Yes, I know there is always NAD 356BEE, but I wanted to have satisfaction of at least comparing the right options.

The setup (at Audio Dynamics) was: Exposure 2010s2 CD Player, 2010s2 amplifier and HECO Celan 301 BS speakers mounted on stands. I am not too sure, but I guess the speakers are supposed to be good, as per some of my readings. And no other speaker options were available.

But I was totally disappointed with the auditioning:mad::mad::mad:. The SQ was muddy - particularly in the mids and lows, not much clarity and the soundstage was lacking. I have standard CDs that I audition with, and so I was quite sure that I was not getting good output.

The only other factor was that the room was not particularly accoustically cured.

So I am totally perplexed as to what would have gone wrong, assuming that every component was generally good and in high budget bracket. Any clues?

I would like to request Bangalore audiophiles to audition the same and give your comments...

Since anyway you are looking beyond NAD, why not sample the anthem 225? IIRC Avxcellene has them for demo.

I have heard Exposure 2010 (older edition) amp at a friend's place and I really liked the sound. Actually I recall thnking that the low end response was firm and punchy so if you think it was muddy, it was probably the room or the speakers.

Having lived with an exposure 3010 s2 for about four months... I can assure you that it is anything but muddy. As a matter of fact it is extremely detailed and absolutely neutral at the same time. My Dali ikon are allowed to freely and openly sing with the help of this amp. The only thing is that neutral nature of both amp and speakers can be clinical and hence dry and boring for some... I love it! But you may not.

This was about the big brother... But 2010 s2's stereophile class a rating is what led me to it in the first place. and then I came across the hifi choice group test where 2010 s2 amp and CD combo was the winner...

I Don't know about the audition scenario at audio dynamics... I simply bought on hunch (which was spot on). But in my dedicated untreated 375 sq. Ft. Listening room, muddy is the very last word I would use to describe this beauty!

Just a happy customer.... Evident I'm sure :)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Having lived with an exposure 3010 s2 for about four months... I can assure you that it is anything but muddy. As a matter of fact it is extremely detailed and absolutely neutral at the same time. My Dali ikon are allowed to freely and openly sing with the help of this amp. The only thing is that neutral nature of both amp and speakers can be clinical and hence dry and boring for some... I love it! But you may not.

This was about the big brother... But 2010 s2's stereophile class a rating is what led me to it in the first place. and then I came across the hifi choice group test where 2010 s2 amp and CD combo was the winner...

I Don't know about the audition scenario at audio dynamics... I simply bought on hunch (which was spot on). But in my dedicated untreated 375 sq. Ft. Listening room, muddy is the very last word I would use to describe this beauty!

Just a happy customer.... Evident I'm sure :)

Ah, thanks. I think the problem can be pinpointed to the HECO speakers. All the while I was thinking they are high end. Check in amazon.de confirmed that they may be starter range.

One link in the chain goes bad, and good sound is gone!

I think the 2010 series is in the 70-80K range and 3010 in 125K-135K range... you need to speak to Abhishek Biswas, an excellent guy for good advice and consultation.

I think the 2010 series is in the 70-80K range and 3010 in 125K-135K range... you need to speak to Abhishek Biswas, an excellent guy for good advice and consultation.

Yes, this was the price range. I missed meeting Abhishek though, otherwise he would have clarified.

I think its the same issue which we faced in our last bangalore meet while auditioning the exposure cdp and amps (Heco FS speakers were used). It was really sounding bad with the TT also. I suspect the speakers.

I could be very wrong here, but here's an excerpt from the Stereophile review (of the 2010S) that I remembered from a bit back:

Interestingly, a key change from the 2010 to the 2010S involved replacing the older model's 50k-ohm volume pot with a 20k-ohm unit: a seemingly insignificant change, but one that served to linearize the product's upper-range frequency response, because this is an integrated amp with a passive preamp stage: The music signal goes straight from the volume pot to the amplifier's power section. Accordingly, the input impedance of the 2010S is lower than average, which may force the prospective owner to be more cautious than usual when it comes to choosing source components and interconnects.
(Bold highlighting added).

I guess it can't have been the source, as the Exposure CDP would definitely be a matching source, being from the same house. So could the Interconnects also have contributed to the not-so-happy results?

Abhishek travels a lot. My advice is to speak to him and fix up another audition in his presence. He is also a forum member... Pm him.

I too am from the school which believes that cables make a difference after having experienced personally. My exposure Dali combo became smoother while being equally detailed after changing the inner connect from daiyo to VDH.

ive heard the 2010's a couple times
twice in singapore with Quads and Dalis ( a long listening session )
once at clients

i would completely agree with soulforged and reign

this is one amp i would like to have

who is importing this in India
contact ?

Exposure amplifiers are generally quite good. In Europe many consider it as a cost effective alternative to Naim. They are generally a step above Creek.

I am sure something is amiss somewhere.

Since anyway you are looking beyond NAD, why not sample the anthem 225? IIRC Avxcellene has them for demo.
The Anthem 225i is good tons of power good grip on the lows plus the advantage of balanced inputs I have this amp and drive Focals and Cerwin Vegas on different occasions

Exposure amplifiers are generally quite good. In Europe many consider it as a cost effective alternative to Naim. They are generally a step above Creek.

I am sure something is amiss somewhere.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back