Auto Function - Malfunctioning Technics SL-Q33

Saket

Hello All,

First the good news, I received my Technics SL-Q33 coupled with Pioneer SX-434 Int. Amp. and stereo receiver by safexpress on sat. evening. Delivered safely...credit also goes to my friend in pune who packed it greatly.

TT plays well & the amp is really nice. THe only issue is auto function. It was not operating initially at all. I opened it up & the belt was broken. I replaced it with a rubber band!
Now the thing is that at times it will play the records entirely on its own flawlessly...will detect disc sizes & all toys work fine.
But at times, it will start malfunctioning...
1. THe arm will ascend & descend on the arm rest without moving.
2. At times the arm will ascent, fly over entire record, rest on the lead out grooves & then return back to the arm rest.
3. At times, even when i try to play the records manually by placing the tonearm on the record by myself, it will play for a second & the auto -return to the rest position.
4. When i press cue button, it arm will again ascend from current position, go to the lead out groove to the end of record & then back to rest.
5. At times the platter will spin even when the tone arm is at rest, at times it will be stationary.

I checked the 3 IR LEDs that are under the platter mat with a cell phone camera, they all light up & (turn off immediately) simultaneously when switched on or off.

Do you guys have any idea what it is upto?

Thanks in advance,
Saket

Last edited:
Ok....its doing better now. Plays 12 Inch Lps perfectly in auto mode now but while playing EPs, it still detects it as an LP & places the stylus on the imaginary 12Inch LP's circumference. I cleaned all IR LEDs & the IR sensor post and the 9 prisms under the platter but no improvement.

Just to remind that this model has optical disc detection system. Any solution or remedy that I may try?

REgards,
SAket

There are three points under the counter weight which may need adjustment as they are connected to sensors controlling arm movement. If they are out of place, the arm will not function as required.

There are three points under the counter weight which may need adjustment as they are connected to sensors controlling arm movement. If they are out of place, the arm will not function as required.

Yes sir, there are 3 adjustment points under the counter weight. However, the alignment of photo sensors besides cleaning them solved the problem for me. Since, I opened the mechanism, I lubricated it too. Since then, it has been working fine.

Although the post is old, and the problem was solved, but thanks for the reply. I had one more close look at the whole mechanism recently while restoring my player, when I stripped the whole mechanism and the tone-arm.

Regards,
Saket

Yes sir, there are 3 adjustment points under the counter weight. However, the alignment of photo sensors besides cleaning them solved the problem for me. Since, I opened the mechanism, I lubricated it too. Since then, it has been working fine.

Although the post is old, and the problem was solved, but thanks for the reply. I had one more close look at the whole mechanism recently while restoring my player, when I stripped the whole mechanism and the tone-arm.

Regards,
Saket

HI Saket

I know this thread has been here for a very long time but I also had to ask you something about the issue you encountered with your Technics Sl q 33.

I have the same model and have exactly the same problème : it works very fine and play auto fonction but won't detect record sizes correctly, causing the arm setting down on the edge of platrer even with a 7" on it.
You seem to have found the solution.
Can you precise me what you mean by "sensor alignement" ?
And what are the "3 points under the counter weight"

Thank you very much fort your answer.

Alex

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back