AV Enthusiast here and a bit of an audiophile too

salivate4hifi

I have been a lurker here on HiFiVision ever since I joined the site and decided today that I'll introduce myself. I love beautiful movies which have great stories to tell. And so when I watch them atleast on somewhat decent system as I believe they at least deserve some emotional involvement of those who watch them. I have just started building my AV Setup and don't expect it to be completed anytime soon. Right now I have a Series 7 Samsung TV from 2012(which I love a lot but has started showing age and now having board problems and consequently picture issues to) and a crappy home theatre system from Samsung from the same year. I intend to replace the both of them with something decent consisting of a UHD HDR TV and a proper Home Theatre System after 2 years particularly because I believe UHD HDR TV will mature enough in those couple years and HDR Broadcasting standards will also get incorporated in upcoming TV's which is sadly not the case with current gen TV's. In the mean while I intend to audition a lot of Home Theatre Systems as well as everything related to movie playing. I am currently planning the build for my storage server from which I intend to do 4k Streaming and plan to start it off with 4 x 10 TB. Have two of the drives and will probably get at least 2 more 10 TBs by December. By January next year I'll try and put the complete system together. It is only relatively recently that I got into audiophile way. I currently own a Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, Etymotic Research ER4SR, Fostex TE-02n and few other IEMs. I am currently vested in portable listening and plan to get into speakers in the coming years. Looking forward to enjoying the company of others in this forum. I would love it if people from Vijayawada, Hyderabad and Bangalore (these places particularly because I am resident of one and frequent the other two)could invite me to audition their setup be it Multichannel AV or Stereo setup or even their streaming solutions.

Welcome! I would say if you are a audiophile, then a stereo amp + speakers should be the proper way to start. I think in future there will less need for storage because most of the movies are going to be in streaming.

Hi Salivate.....

I'd agree that you really don't need a 4x10 tb setup for a movie server. I watch a lot of movies at home, and was copying movies for the last decade atleast.

Now I don't even plug in my hard drives, as I stream movies from Netflix, amazon and google movies. Besides, 4K content is so scarce at the moment, that your 4tb storage as at present will never fill up in the fore seeable future. So may be you can stop, amassing more storage at this point of time. And re-route the same finances towards building your home theatre. All the best...

On a separate note, in my humble opinion, home theatre is all about loud noises and a few deep booms. So most systems will deliver that. You don't have to pour too much money into that. As long as it doesn't sound terrible, you will not notice it. The eyes are occupied with the picture, and the mind with the plot. So how much will we notice the sound. Actually not much, after one year of use. When we setup things new, we consciously listen to the sound, to see how our system delivers. And after a few movies, you wont pay much attention..... trust me :)

So money is best spent on a proper 2 channel rig. Because all our unwavering concentration is focused on the smallest nuances in sound. And any sonic gains in sound quality are most appreciated here.

Not to discourage you, just my 2 cents speaking from my experience. All the best :)

Well I currently have around 21 TB consisting of hard drives of various capacities and have filled up most of the 21 TB space. It's mostly filled up with BD remuxes or raw Blu-rays and high res music. I thought I would consolidate and build a single system . I'd probably end up filling the 40 TiB raw space within 3-4 months. Also I'd only prefer streaming when that is the only source for the movie or music. Atleast with 1080p sources I could easily spot difference between streaming sources and BD as source and I am not a big fan of exclusive deals that streaming sites tend to have either. Some movies that want to watch are not on the streaming sites either. I strongly believe that streaming in its current form is just not worth it. Kaleidoscope seems to be the only one service that seems to be streaming BD quality movies and shows but it is not available here in India. I do agree that I need to spend on atleast a good stereo setup though. BTW where are you from @cha_indian and @newlash09?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Salivate.....

Wow.. iam blown :lol:

40 Tb of storage is serious amounts of tracks and films. You should start your own streaming site with your content.:D

I do agree on the quality of streamed movie content. However, Iam not too disappointed with what iam getiing via Netflix, amazon & google movies. I also have a Roku ultra streamer for more content. But haven't bothered to unpack it yet. Will probably try it once my new HT setup is completed.

My TV is 4k, so I think it manages to upscale 1080hd content to 4k with its inbuilt scaler really well. All in all.....iam really not missing picture quality much. So I feel streaming is okay for me. Cheers :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back