AV Receiver for Stereo

pramodrama

Hello Friends,

I was very happy to discover this forum. I hope the members here can advise me.

1) I have a Yamaha RX V 365 receiver, which I want to use only for music. Is it advisable to only set it up as a stereo amplifier with only 2 speakers? Please give me any tips that you may have.

2) Please advise a pair of compatible bookshelf speakers for this under 20 K budget.

3) I also need a Blue tooth receiver to connect to my receiver so that I can play music from my Phone or PC. What are the options available and what price?

4) Does the connection type to source with receiver, i.e 3.5mm, RCA, Co-axial or optical make a difference in quality? Which is the best quality connection for stereo?

Thanks

@pramodrama

Sure you can re-purpose an AVR to serve as a stereo set up. You will need 2 speakers connected to FL/FR and possibly a sub if you like thumping bass.
Wharfedale and Taga Harmony are available in your budget at HiFiMart (link is on top and bottom of page).
Polk Audio also has some good offerings in 20K range. Also look for used speakers, if acceptable (you will get good units at cheap prices).
For BT, check out Amazon/Snapdeal/Flipkart and you should find something; don't expect great quality over BT.
3.5mm jack is for quick connection to phone/tablet etc; but will not sound good.
RCA is for an analog source eg CD player, DAC output etc.
Coax/OPT is for direct digital bit stream input; your AVR has them so you may take advantage of it.

The quality of stereo depends mainly on the content/source/speakers in this case since you have already chosen the amp.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi pramodrama,
Welcome to the forum.
Regarding BlueTooth (BT) connectivity, I would suggest to consider Belkin HD BT receiver. Although it does not support "HD Audio" in the literal sense, but it supports AptX Protocol for BT which supports higher bitrate (probably the likes of 320kbps) and is better than the other cheaper BT receivers.
It also has digital audio output (both optical & coaxial) so that you the utilize the better DAC of your Yamaha AVR.
I am using it and am quite satisfied. See the link below to check out the details.

Belkin SongStream Bluetooth HD Music Receiver: Amazon.in: Electronics

Hello Friends,

I would like to know if Yamaha Floor standing NS 8390 can be a good option as compared to the Wharfedale 220. These are available around the same price and are not too tall (92 cms) so I have space to keep them?

My vote for wharfedale 220 in that budget. It pairs well with Yamaha.

Hello Friends,

I would like to know if Yamaha Floor standing NS 8390 can be a good option as compared to the Wharfedale 220. These are available around the same price and are not too tall (92 cms) so I have space to keep them?

Hello Friends,

Try to listen both speakers. I have the Yamaha 8390 you can listen to .

3) I also need a Blue tooth receiver to connect to my receiver so that I can play music from my Phone or PC. What are the options available and what price?

4) Does the connection type to source with receiver, i.e 3.5mm, RCA, Co-axial or optical make a difference in quality? Which is the best quality connection for stereo?

Thanks

I've answered in the other thread... but for the money please go with:

3. Chromecast Audio.
4. Toslink optical cable.

The SQ will beat anything BT and 3.5mm analog.

I've answered in the other thread... but for the money please go with:

3. Chromecast Audio.
4. Toslink optical cable.

The SQ will beat anything BT and 3.5mm analog.

+1 to that

As far as the NS 8390 go, i tried them and the warfedale and the dali zensor 1 and many many more, finally went with the 220, they are the best sounding of the three, very very closely followed by the Dali, the NS are loud but not as pleasing as the other two imho. you can also audition the mission MX2, they are good too, and fit in your budget.

Do keep in mind though for bookshelves you will need stands (Purchase or make, you can get some for 2-3k but a decent pair will be 6-8k or build them spend as less as a few hundred bucks or as much as you want on materials). Just a point to keep in mind as you are on a budget. The NS do not need stands plus you can get them on infibeam for as low as 16k :p

Hi thanks for the feedback, I have one question on Chrome cast.
From research on internet, it seems there are specific apps which can stream through Chrome cast. How can we play local files in phone? I use poweramp for music which does not seem to be compatible.

Secondly I also have most of my music on windows PC. Is it possible to stream this stuff?

+1 to that

As far as the NS 8390 go, i tried them and the warfedale and the dali zensor 1 and many many more, finally went with the 220, they are the best sounding of the three, very very closely followed by the Dali, the NS are loud but not as pleasing as the other two imho. you can also audition the mission MX2, they are good too, and fit in your budget.

Do keep in mind though for bookshelves you will need stands (Purchase or make, you can get some for 2-3k but a decent pair will be 6-8k or build them spend as less as a few hundred bucks or as much as you want on materials). Just a point to keep in mind as you are on a budget. The NS do not need stands plus you can get them on infibeam for as low as 16k :p
When you say stand, I presume you mean it has to be placed at a level and not on the floor. I actually have a TV table where I can place speakers at 3 feet height. Will this not suffice?

Hi

You can go for a pair of good book shelves like Moniter Audio Mr 2 or the award winner Bronze 2 for your stereo set up.
Secondly if u want good sound quality by blue tooth u can go for the Arcam Mini blink which has its own D/A converter plus it delivers music through Blue tooth.

Cheers

Homiyar.

When you say stand, I presume you mean it has to be placed at a level and not on the floor. I actually have a TV table where I can place speakers at 3 feet height. Will this not suffice?

Ideally your speakers should sit in a way that your ears are between the woofer and the tweater. Also they should be seperated by atleast 6-8 feet imo. I am not sure what kind of table you have, but tables are generally not sturdy enough i.e. they have vibrations which kind of turns them into unwanted passive radiators which screw up with your sound. if its a hollow cabinet type table, even worse.

Hi thanks for the feedback, I have one question on Chrome cast.
From research on internet, it seems there are specific apps which can stream through Chrome cast. How can we play local files in phone? I use poweramp for music which does not seem to be compatible.

Secondly I also have most of my music on windows PC. Is it possible to stream this stuff?

Yes you can cast local content from the phone as well as any PC or NAS that is on the same network. You will need to enable UPNP/DLNA server, as easy as installing a plug-in in Foobar or installing something like MinimServer on the PC.

You can also cast from any cloud service like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.

Ideally your speakers should sit in a way that your ears are between the woofer and the tweater. Also they should be seperated by atleast 6-8 feet imo. I am not sure what kind of table you have, but tables are generally not sturdy enough i.e. they have vibrations which kind of turns them into unwanted passive radiators which screw up with your sound. if its a hollow cabinet type table, even worse.
OK got it. The one I have is built in and sturdy. Should do for the short term

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back