AV Receivers compatible with Bose AM6

Why

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on selecting a compatible AV receiver with Bose Acoustimass 6. Per the manual, the AV receiver is compatible with A/V receivers and amplifiers rated from 10 to 150 watts per channel, rated from 4 to 8 ohms.

I am particulary interested in buying a Yamaha or Onkyo brand AV receiver with budget of Rs 40K (or less!) . Appreciate all the help.

Thanks!

Bose themselves recommend Yamaha as the best to pair with their speakers. Take a look at Yamaha 663. That is a very decent AVR that you shoud get around 50K. It delivers 90 watts per channel and is adequate for most mid sized rooms. Don't look at the next lower model the 463 as that may not have adequate power.

Cheers

Thanks for your response. I made some inquiries in Delhi and I am getting the 663 at Rs 37K. The sales guy is suggesting to go for RX-665 which is an upgraded version for Rs 42 K. Please suggest.

Thanks for your response. I made some inquiries in Delhi and I am getting the 663 at Rs 37K. The sales guy is suggesting to go for RX-665 which is an upgraded version for Rs 42 K. Please suggest.

is there any options when you compare a sales guy choice to ours. 665 is overkill. 663 should do a fine job

More important Q is have you auditioned other speakers?

is there any options when you compare a sales guy choice to ours. 665 is overkill. 663 should do a fine job

In addition, the 665 has a lighter power unit and, in comparison to the 663, will not be able to deliver the current (electrical) requirements that some scenes may demand. again in compariosn, the 665 has not received good reviews from professional reviewers.

As Marsilians said, sales guys may not be aware of these facts and would just try to sell you a unit.

Cheers

Last edited:
Psychotropic,

True observation. However, I don't see why every thread should default to snide remarks at Bose. This current thread is clear and simple enough: Fellow has an speaker existing system, he wants a receiver to power it up. End of story. Whether the speakers are Bose, JBL or RadioShack should make no difference. I think people like to hop onto the anti-Bose bandwagon for no particular reason.

Why,
Marsilians and Venkat are spot-on. Sales people have end-of-month margins to meet, so they'll sell you the highest priced unit in their inventory, without bothering about speaker compatibility. Also look at Harman-Kardon's budget line. They are powerful enough to drive most speakers but they may sound dry and bright with the Bose. Audition, hear and see if you like or hate the sound. Unless you go and audition, us giving you advice beyond a point is useless.

-Ajinkya.

Thanks everyone for the honest and useful suggestions. Another (very basic) question - how important is the video upscaling feature in an AV receiver. I have recently purchased a Samsung LA40B650 TV which I am told has good upscaling capabilitites.

how important is the video upscaling feature in an AV receiver. I have recently purchased a Samsung LA40B650 TV which I am told has good upscaling capabilitites.

You have a FullHD TV. So it does make sense to have scaling in some unit - the player or the AVR. Having scaling in AVR helps you scale all sources - DVD, Set Top Box, Games, etc.

Cheers

Hi all AV enthusiasts,
This is not a reply but another question on similar lines
I too have this question : What AV receiver would be suitable for a Bose Acoustimass (R) 5 Series III Speaker system. You have the Bose amplifier / receiver - that costs an awful lot. Pls suggest. Thanks

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back