AV Reciever ( replacement for Marantz SR4001)

buxx

HI,
I had a Marantz SR 4001 thats lived its life, apparently.
Now looking for something to replace that, music + movies performance (35:65ratio)

Have Mission M34i(front floorstanders) Centre & Surrounds.

Am looking at NAD, Cambridge Audio & Harmon Kardon this time around.

would be getting this from Singapore & would appreciate if you guys can gimme some specific Brand/Model numbers as well as approx prices on this.
any Singapore websites having products/prices?

Also: is there any way to use a AVR AND a stereo amp/pre-amp or something so that i can use the stereo amp/pre for driving the front Floorstanders alone?

Last edited:
I dont know what you mean by "lived its life"
No such thing, if its broken down get it repaired.
No point wasting money if you have something thats functioning after some service.
Valve amps, now those have a specific span of life.

If you want a different avr for the novelty of it, then its different, the only avr from cambridge audio that i like is their most expensive one lol, the azur 650r

Last edited:
I guess you can get an AVR with pre outs so that you can connect that to the stereo amp and play music through it when you like it. But if you dont listen to much music any of the 'musically better' avrs like marantz,nad , ca would do.

@corElement : "lived its life" as in it has given the (in)famous "check POW5" error for which apparently Marantz doesnt have an answer.

Took it to the Marantz authorised service center in Delhi ( Decibels India)where they have not been able to pinpoint the exact problem.

But they said that its gotta be a problem with the Power circuitry board, the replacement part they dont have anyway & would take a unknown amount of time to come in from marantz.
also, no specific ideas for its cost: but shud be 10-12k (they say)!

My uncle is going to Singapore this month, am pushing off the AVR with him (the Marantz is till under the 3yr warranty) , but just in case the dealer doesnt honor that, i would like to get a AVR from there.

Marantz has had a lotta problem with these "Protect" mode / "Check POW5" / "Pops of Death" problems in their various generations of AVR & it just makes me distrust the brand as such.

Also, NO customer support in Asia ( not saying that any of the other brands wud have any ) ; but in my case; its once bitten twice shy kinda thing as far as marantz is concerned..!! :sad:

As far as performance is concerned; i had no issues while the Marantz was working ! :clapping:

Okay.. so that was the long story..

So, are there any suggestions on specific models on AVR from other brands..?
i wouldnt want anything more feature-rich than the SR4001.

http://us.marantz.com/SR4001.pdf

Lower priced basic 5.1 AVRs that I have auditioned are:

- Denon 1610
- Harman Kardon AV 133
- Pioneer VSX 519

All above sounded fine.

I settled for the Pioneer thinking I would be hooked on to movies now. Was initially anticipating 70% movies and 30% music. Am amazed that the music thing has now gone up to 90% and am virtually treating the visual aspect ie. movies in the negative. Not that the AVR is not upto the mark for movies, its fantastic.

1610 is good

You can also try out the harman avr 247

btw after hearing about your thing and from others about the pop of death to be a real issue that cant be fixed easily, Im never buyin a marantz product in my life till they fix their reputation!

That's like 20k down the drain, SAD!

I picked the below up from 'justanswer.com. The answer to the query looks quite digestible ....... More the sophistication, more the nonsense ... :mad:

It means the unit is in protection mode due to some kind of a short either in the speakers/wires/internally. Try the procedure below.

Try unplugging the unit for 60 minutes, then plug back in and try it again. This will reset the processor and hopefully the unit will operate normally. Check all the speaker wiring for shorts, make sure they're also not touching the chassis of the receiver, or are not otherwise pinched or frayed. If all looks well, try disconnecting all the speakers and cycle the power off, then on again. If the unit shuts down with no load connected, fails to power up, or if you have "protect" on the screen, then the unit likely has a bad output transistor, or capacitor and is in need of service.
Unquote

Read more: what does "check pow 5" mean on marantz sr7500 r... - JustAnswer

yup, fx entertainment at Delhi quoted 81K ........ showed no interest, so they did not pursue further on prices .....

@corElement : "lived its life" as in it has given the (in)famous "check POW5" error for which apparently Marantz doesnt have an answer.

Took it to the Marantz authorised service center in Delhi ( Decibels India)where they have not been able to pinpoint the exact problem.

But they said that its gotta be a problem with the Power circuitry board, the replacement part they dont have anyway & would take a unknown amount of time to come in from marantz.
also, no specific ideas for its cost: but shud be 10-12k (they say)!

My uncle is going to Singapore this month, am pushing off the AVR with him (the Marantz is till under the 3yr warranty) , but just in case the dealer doesnt honor that, i would like to get a AVR from there.

Marantz has had a lotta problem with these "Protect" mode / "Check POW5" / "Pops of Death" problems in their various generations of AVR & it just makes me distrust the brand as such.

Also, NO customer support in Asia ( not saying that any of the other brands wud have any ) ; but in my case; its once bitten twice shy kinda thing as far as marantz is concerned..!! :sad:

As far as performance is concerned; i had no issues while the Marantz was working ! :clapping:

Okay.. so that was the long story..

So, are there any suggestions on specific models on AVR from other brands..?
i wouldnt want anything more feature-rich than the SR4001.

http://us.marantz.com/SR4001.pdf

I was contemplating to buy Marantz SR 6004, but now rethinking on getting Denon instead after the 'Pop of Death' was widely reported.

Regards,

vjc

^^ denon & marantz are manufactured by the same company- DM Holdings Pvt Ltd.

that is so true. I also started with the same perception, but it turned out that video requires more of your attention, for longer time. Music flows while you can address small issues when you are back from work and others also need your (partial) attention.
I even advised in a thread to someone, that rethink your %age numbers based on my exp. I hope it will help a lot of people if they rethink their usage pattern.

regards

Lower priced basic 5.1 AVRs that I have auditioned are:

- Denon 1610
- Harman Kardon AV 133
- Pioneer VSX 519

All above sounded fine.

I settled for the Pioneer thinking I would be hooked on to movies now. Was initially anticipating 70% movies and 30% music. Am amazed that the music thing has now gone up to 90% and am virtually treating the visual aspect ie. movies in the negative. Not that the AVR is not upto the mark for movies, its fantastic.

I picked the below up from 'justanswer.com. The answer to the query looks quite digestible ....... More the sophistication, more the nonsense ... :mad:[/url]

Bingo, this is exactly why I bought my jamo avr 693 after doing a lot of research initially starting from pioneer and onkyo. I wanted extremely simple internal concepts with the best quality components and shortest bandwidth between control and sound. The only one that I find similar is the ca 650r which internally other than its video and hdmi components is near exactly the same as the 693.

btw: how much is CA 650R priced??

Sadly this amazing avr is 80k in india, 60000 abroad.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back