AV Upgrade Incident\Accident ?

Audio_Freek

Dear Fm's,

Today I met a Technician to discuss on recapping my Sansui Amplifier and asked him the best options for upgrade as well (Since Sansui is Out of Market).
I was shocked when he revealed gave some info about the Marketing strategy the modern day AV companies.

My Question was just simple "How these Vintage champs are so reliable and sturdy and made for long run unlike the modern day amplifiers.He Simply smirked and replied as
1.Companies who loving to giving the best amps\speakers for consumers were shut down long back (Mid of 80s).
2.The Vintage legendary Electronics use to be part of "Will" ,The Design,components were made for long run to keep the customers happy and Grandfather might have purchased and Grand Kids could enjoy with the same at their teenage:eek:hyeah:
3.Since people were settled with the best Stuff, they were no more looking for new products (Might be that could be reason for the Big Brands were shut down from business or sold to the cheap\entry level brands)
4.Modern day AV are designed to have a QUICK EXPIRY date, (Might be they run perfect until the Expiry date).
5.The AV companies are targeting the consumers just not to buy their products for now ,but also in future.
6.If we take LCD\LED etc TV's they last only for 3-5 Years Max, by the some New XYZ technology will be in market and AV Companies would start marketing "We have XYZ technology" Please use they to enjoy Music\Movie Experience.
7.The Point 6 would be applicable for Amplifier\Speaker\DAC etc as well.
8. He also added that they train the engineers to design the way (Short life cycle) so that the AV companies can keep on selling their Products to the consumer, though they going to feel the difference or not.
9.The New Stuff could sound best and days\years pass by the quality they deliver would get degraded (due to the Design or marketing strategy) ,Which makes you feel that "Ah Time to Upgrade"

Finally Coming to the Title, The AV Companies might not give the 100% Best quality in any of their Electronics, well its like digging their Own grave.

Kindly think 100 times before you plan for Upgrade ,Its your Mind and ear should be Judge and not "How much you could afford".

Ok small tips in case you plan for Upgrade ,Just becoz you feel bored of the sound.

Just stop listening music for day\2 or week and Just read the reviews about your AV in some online forums or\and invite your friends who are not much into Music.

Start listening the music on the same Rig, You feel the Pride of what you have :yahoo:

Note:This is just my view and the information given by technician today was pretty much convincing for me.

Last edited:
Hi

This is the sad reality out there which I guess most of us are aware.....what do you do with Vintage equipment when it does not work? No one repairs or parts not available...

Today's time is money for everyone and a normal salaried person has to toil hard at work with extended hours...so time is precious for him...does not want to add headaches or stresses to the already overflowing list.....

AVRs , TVs etc. are into cheap manufacturing and cheap components....its all about competition and making money......so gimmicks and new features are offered on all products after every 6 months or 1 year...those who get easily bitten by the upgrade bug tend to make it feasible for such manufacturers to flourish their sales etc.....

Hard reality....no choice but to move with time...

Hi Efernand1,

The Purpose of the post is just reveal the actual facts. I do agree that its not easy to restore Vintage systems Even I have few Vintage Amps which are Sick and unable to get back to rock,I dont have guts to throw them to Garbage too.

If someone feels the Upgrade will give the best quality on the Modern day electronics- It could be a Incident (Actually) as well as Incident (the marketing Strategy of AV companies).

So dont get into conclusion and break the Piggy bank immediately,Is my request to all.

Yes agreed. My CRT TV is still lasting for 14 years, finally sold it for up gradation .whereas my Samsung 3D LED TV lasted only for 3 years.

This suits to many products not only TV/AVRs ,but for even a bicycle/two wheeler and car.

Having read that we should look at different angle also.
The A/V stuff we get now a days (consumer profile not broadcast quality) is much cheaper now.

We used to get a CRT tv around 20k even if the tech was quite stagnant. Now you still get in similar price comparatively latest models (entry brands). Looking at the inflation , 20 years back we have paid prices multiple times and of course those had quality components. You can now spend those multiple amounts over period of time for replacements.

I love vintage and not promoting new use and throw tech but on serious notes, we should not forget the pricing fact.

Eye opener Audio_Freek. The current AV setup more than suffices to the ears. Upgrade necessity is not there at all if your ears are full! Whether it is the new 4K TV or Dolby Atmos receiver.

Due to the old philosophy of making things that last long, we are enjoying the world of "vintage" today. Some are making good money also. Cars, furniture & some memorabilia. Most of today's products will end up in dustbins or scrapyards only, as they will not be having any value at all in future.

I have a slight disagreement here. IMHO every era has some very good and bad products. You never know may be some products of today's generation become vintage beauties of future years. Not sure if every product of 70s 80s or 90s are good enough to work properly. If that is the case, there would not be any difficulty in finding a good vintage system. It is still very hard to find a good vintage system. No doubt, some of the yesteryears products are great and can give latest products run for their money, but they might have costed a fortune at that time and might not be very easy to acquire.

Nothing against vintage, just my thoughts. Even my CRT TV lasted for 25 years and still working, but my SONY led TV is also working fine since last 7 years :)

R, Vinay

I have a slight disagreement here. IMHO every era has some very good and bad products. You never know may be some products of today's generation become vintage beauties of future years.

Nothing against vintage, just my thoughts. Even my CRT TV lasted for 25 years and still working, but my SONY led TV is also working fine since last 7 years :)

R, Vinay

Sir, Respect your opinion , For being Vintage it should be in Running condition :eek:hyeah: else it would be in Museum Fun intended.

You are actually missing the Crux of my post. No More we could expect any company to produce 30 Yrs lasting product, Just because their New Models will be not sold and the companies needs to Shut Down;)

I wonder whether we would have Stereo set-up exist after 30 Years,Since the new generation are not moving beyond Head Phones for Listening music.

No Demand = No Supply

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back