Avepa - Zypher's Z-21 Active Subwoofer

Kanwar - but what I have read at audioholics about best sub placement - they recommend 4 subs along 4 walls, each in the center of the wall, on the floor.

like other threads no the forum where genuine designers and real-life manufacturers of quality equipment, viz., kanwarji and virenji (only to name a couple) contribute, not just inputs from armchair hunters, i am happy to have started this thread as this is bound to develop into a treasure trove for someone looking at a serious sub/subs introduced into an existing 2ch setup, etc.

i find both these gentlemen so patient and open with our queries, however basic.

comes from total confidence & comfort in their knowledge & art and the inherent personality to share & grow.

aside from this, would like to add, kanwarji has tried hard to consider and accordingly cater to home audio (nee audiophile) sensibilities in the finished product, though he comes from a pro-audio background. here i do not mean quality of sound, ruggedness of the equipment or the components used, but the finicky nature needing certain kinds of finishing, brands on connectors, colours, chassis/cabinet, logos, etc. and, being his first foray, the results are out there for all to see (IMHO, of course)!

Kanwar - but what I have read at audioholics about best sub placement - they recommend 4 subs along 4 walls, each in the center of the wall, on the floor.

I reckon this wouldn't do any good :)

Last edited:

Placing 4 subs each adjacent pair facing each other means you have lot of lobes occurring at each corner and excessive booming of sub resonant frequencies due to room gain.

Last edited:
But later after most of friends had left, we listened somewhat more seriously with a variety of music, both with the sub off but the signals routed thru the active x over to the Aristas, and with the sub in the chain but with the gain tamped down to more unobstrusive levels.

With rock e.g, a track from an album by Police, the system sounded just great, with the sub adding the bass impact beautifully.

With soft vocals e.g, Kalpana Zokarkar, one did'nt really feel the need for a sub.

And with an audiophile quality tracks like Nils Lofgren's "Keith don't go" & "Stimela" by Hugh Masekela,the music sounded better with the sub off, IM very HO.

I am really able to understanding this. Can someone explain this?

In a full range system with drivers doing duty for the entire range of the frequency range, it does not matter whether you turn on or off the driver system which does the lower frequencies. They work only if the lower frequencies are present. Otherwise it stays silent without muddying up any other part of the frequencies. For example, if someone is playing the double bass, as you go lower and lower into the octaves, the subwoofer wakes up only as you dig deeper and deeper into the octaves and if designed correctly, it will add the missing octaves the while making sure the entire reproduced sound is all part of the same cloth ! The double bass instrument will retain the same tone and quality through the entire sonic spectrum. If done correctly this is a very exciting phenomenon and represents the essence of live performance.

in crossovers, the cut off is not abrupt. It has a slope. So all frequencies go to lower freq drivers, but in lower amplitude.

square_wave, if there is a question herein, I am missing it. can u pl. re-phrase?

Sorry for the confusion.

I am trying to figure out whether there is a setup issue here.

Since the cadence speakers and the new subwoofer are top notch gear, if the setup is done right, the sound should be seamless irrespective of what you play unless there is a room issue.

ok, now i get it, sorta atleast.

well, in kamalji's opinion, the tracks referred to sounded better w/o the sub. the reason MAY not be setup. the sound actually MAY be 'seamless'. the reason could be that some people prefer the low freq. roll-off (as in a w/o sub setup) to a 'sense of overbearing' bass (when the lower octaves/the sub kick/s in). so the oft used cliche, 'different strokes for different folks'. also, the sub gain is a subjective variable, from a settings perspective and from the software itself.

bacchhaa/bacchhay hoga/hongen tho poochooongaaa!!!

however, my under 2 yr. old bacchhaaa already is in love with the system.

he needs a daily fix.

bacchhaa/bacchhay hoga/hongen tho poochooongaaa!!!

however, my under 2 yr. old bacchhaaa already is in love with the system.

he needs a daily fix.

:clapping: keep giving him funny dozes of ultra low bass:licklips:

Just updated the FIRST POST

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back