AVR for Bose Acoustimass

raghumailbox

Hi,
I brought a 5.1 ch Bose Acoustimass I (1998 model) speakers in Bangalore.
Right now I do not have a AVR ready with me and planning to buy one later.

1. Please suggest me how do i check this system without AVR?
2. Suggest me a AVR which will gel with it for movies and music
3. If required how do i upgrade it for 7.1?

:mad:

You need a source and an amplifier. Without that it is impossible to check a speaker system.

Bose themselves recommend Yamaha AVRs and that what you should check out.

I am not sure this is possible. Bose takes all the signals to it's subs and then distributes the sound to the various speakers. If there is a pair of extra speakers outs in the sub, you can buy a pair of Bose satellite speakers and use them for the rear L&R. Another way, of course, is to buy a 7.1 AVR, and connect the additional speakers directly to it.

Cheers

venkat, if he buys a 7.1 AVR and directs 5.1 via bose AM and the remainning 2 directly to rear surrounds then will he not have following issues
1. audio sync between side surrounds and rear surrounds even if lesser
2. volume control of individual channels will have to be controllled using AVR and AM remotes?

@raghu Do you mean Bose Acoustimass 10? Havent heard of 1.

The audio sync between AM speakers and directly connected rear surrounds can be calibrated from the AVR setup.

Volume control will be done using AVR remote. The AM system does not have any remote. The bass module has got controls for LFE and Bass as other subwoofers, but thats about it.

I have the AM 10 Series 3 which I have used with Onkyo TX-SR601 and then the Denon 2310 AVRs. Have been happy with the sound of both AVRs with the AM10.

Hope that helps.

@Manu, It is Bose Acousticmass 15 Series I (currently III) which had come in around 1998.
For 7.1 insted of routing 5 speakers of BAM through sub, can it be connected directly to AVR?
Check the image for connection setup given.

Last edited:
in the usa i remember bose showrooms selling onkyo products. i used to have a bose stereo system - 2 acoustimass with sub with cd player - which i bought in 97. i have substituted superior speakers to the system only to find that they do not sound as good as the acoustimass. i think bose works well with bose due to their particular design/engineering. but you should experiment and trust your own ears.

I used the AM-10 with Onkyo TX-DS747 and now Denon-1910.

Denon 1910 has 7.1 outputs but the AVR has settings to turn side surround to off so that all side surround gets distributed to rear surround (I think).

If the AVR is 7.1, you must connect the speaker wires to FL, FR, CS, RLS, RRS and ignore the side surrounds (SSL & SSR).

I am not recomending Onkyo ,but my neighbour has Onkyo with Bose 5.1 speakers and it sounds pretty good.

@Manu, It is Bose Acousticmass 15 Series I (currently III) which had come in around 1998.
For 7.1 insted of routing 5 speakers of BAM through sub, can it be connected directly to AVR?
Check the image for connection setup given.

The Bose speakers 5 cubes should ONLY be connected through the Bose Bass module.

To achieve 7.1, you can by an additional pair of speakers (not AM cube speakers) as your rear surrounds and connect them directly to the AVR.

Hi,
I brought a 5.1 ch Bose Acoustimass I (1998 model) speakers in Bangalore.
Right now I do not have a AVR ready with me and planning to buy one later.

:mad:

1.You need a AVR to check the speakers ,, try rubbing a Batt to the speakers connecting a wire , this might give you a cracking sound to know which spks is working , but I doubt tht trick works with Bose as spkrs connects to basemodule

2.5-star rated (wht hi-fi)TXSR608 and the good news TXNR609 just round the corner...Buy it locally

3. You can upgrade the speakers the AVR is 7.2

Yes, definitely a thought in the right direction to have the rear surrounds connected to the AM15 FL/FR and use your newer (and better?) speakers for the fronts. :)

have not heard the 301 so cannot comment on them specifically.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back