AVR for Passive Subwoofer

freshseasons

Which are the AVR's that can drive passive Subwoofer for less than 35,000 RS ?
Yamaha RX-V series which i had decided on need Active subwoofer to work. :mad:
If anyone can help me out i will really be so happy ?

Last edited:
Buy a DNM 6 channel amp ,it will cost you .5 to 8 K
It has on board sub amp
Now no DTS ,DD processing but 6 channel analougue input there so buy a DVD with onboard DD processor ( most of DVD s have) ,DTS processing and 5,.1 channels out!
DNM Enterprise Product

Buy a DNM 6 channel amp ,it will cost you .5 to 8 K
It has on board sub amp
Now no DTS ,DD processing but 6 channel analougue input there so buy a DVD with onboard DD processor ( most of DVD s have) ,DTS processing and 5,.1 channels out!
DNM Enterprise Product

Well sir nothing in 35,000 Rs range...? :sad:Dont want to buy DNM. Anything in Denon,Marantz,Cambridge,Yamaha Onkyo that drives passive subwoofer ?

Anything in Denon,Marantz,Cambridge,Yamaha Onkyo that drives passive subwoofer ?

To answer your question directly, no AVR in any price range will drive a passive sub woofer. To drive passive subs, you have to use external amplifier/s.

Cheers

Actually, I beg to differ. The last installation I completed, the client owned a Bose AM-10 passive subwoofer + 5CH Jewel cube system. I gave him a Denon 1910. The results were satisfying.
Earlier, the client was driving the same with a Pioneer 5.1 Channel 120W AVR which was about 12year old.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Actually, I beg to differ. The last installation I completed, the client owned a Bose AM-10 passive subwoofer + 5CH Jewel cube system. I gave him a Denon 1910. The results were satisfying.
Earlier, the client was driving the same with a Pioneer 5.1 Channel 120W AVR which was about 12year old.
Hope this helps.

If what you are referring to is this, as far as I know, the sub woofer acts as the central system for all the speakers. It actually receives all the signals, and then routes them to the various speakers after filtering the frequencies. There is an active cross over inside the sub as well as power to amplify the Point 1 signals.

If you are referring to something else, please do let me know.

Irrespective of whether the results were satisfying, the fact remains that all AVRs send only line level signals that have to be amplified externally. If the AVR detects that there is no sub attached, it will route the LFE signals to the front speakers giving you the illusion that base sound is being delivered. If the fronts are large enough to play low frequency sounds, you will not miss a sub.

Cheers

Venkat Sir and Sumit
It must be older AM 10 ,Series 1 or 2 as this had Passive sub, I had one in Dubai.It is from Dolby Pro Logic end Era.

The last installation I completed, the client owned a Bose AM-10 passive subwoofer + 5CH Jewel cube system. I gave him a Denon 1910. The results were satisfying.

as far as I know, the sub woofer acts as the central system for all the speakers. It actually receives all the signals, and then routes them to the various speakers after filtering the frequencies. There is an active cross over inside the sub as well as power to amplify the Point 1 signals.

IIRC, the AM 10 does not have any amplification for the subwoofer and is not a true 5.1 system to begin with. It just has a passive crossover that does a high pass filter for the satellites and thus channels the power for the front left and right channels to both - the passive subwoofer as well as the front L-R satellites.

Venkat is right in saying that neither the Denon 1910 nor any other popular AVRs have a power section for the sub channel. That is only found in the entry level HTiBs like Sony etc. and in amps like the one DNM makes.

There is an active cross over inside the sub as well as power to amplify the Point 1 signals.

If you are referring to something else, please do let me know.

Cheers

This AM-10 is a Passive sub. Yes, Bose later on released active AM-10 as well.

Actually, I was merely stating that I used a 1910 to power a Passive sub. The results were satisfying considering that this is a 5.1 illusion as the crossovers are being managed by the AM-10. However, the power is being supplied by the 1910. And, 1910 does well in this case.

I was just referring to the power of 1910 and its ability to drive passive sub (upto a small size atleast).

This was my first experience with a Bose 5.1 and frankly speaking, I did not like it. Now by stating 'results were satisfying' I meant that the ease with which denon 1910 supported the AM10 and 5.1 was satisfying.

Well, the person who is using the setup is happy and in the end thats what matters:indifferent14:

Cheers!

Actually, I was merely stating that I used a 1910 to power a Passive sub. The results were satisfying considering that this is a 5.1 illusion as the crossovers are being managed by the AM-10. However, the power is being supplied by the 1910. And, 1910 does well in this case.

I was just referring to the power of 1910 and its ability to drive passive sub (upto a small size atleast).

Aaahhhhh, I think I have understood what you are saying !!

Sumit, let us not get confused here. You can power any passive speaker by connecting it to the Front, Centre or Surrounds speaker terminals of an AVR.

But if you are referring to the Point 1 output of an AVR, or what is also called sub/LFE out, this will not be a speaker terminal bit will have an RCA socket. You use a sub woofer cable that has RCA plugs on both ends and this goes to the LFE-in of a powered sub. This is a line level output from the sub and does not carry any amplification.

What you could do, though, with a passive sub such as the AM10 that has internal cross over capabilities is to the connect the front L& speaker terminals to the L&R input terminals on the sub. The sub will also have a 2.0 or 5.0 speaker output. In the case of Bose this will most probably be spring terminals. You connect the front satellite speakers to the sub (and not to the AVR). The sub retains the low frequency and send the rest of the frequencies to the front satellites.

When you connect this way, the Denon is just powering the fronts. It is not powering the sub that is a completely different channel.

Cheers

As sumit explained, we connected the speakers output of 1910 to the speakers input terminal of the Bose's Bass Module, whereas all the 5 satallite speakers were wired through the Bose's Bass module. All we did was that in 1910 the sub woofer output was turned off and the front were selected as large. By doing this all the .1 signal of the AVR was sent to the front channel of the Bose Bass module and with the internal crossover built in it, all the bass was outputted through the Bass module of the Bose and the rest of the frequency was sent for the satallites from the Bose's Bass module.

Last edited:
Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sumit, Pardon my ignorance. does the AM-10 does bass management. from what I have read there is no bass management on the passive sub. Is there a built in xover. If the sub indeed does bass management then the instruction in the manual contradicts the norm. According to the manual "If your receiver provides it, the LFE or Subwoofer option setting should be ON and the crossover value at the lowest number possible, which is typically 80 Hz.". My understanding was that using two xovers was a big no no.

By doing this all the .1 signal of the AVR was sent to the front channel of the Bose Bass module

It's not the 0.1 signal. The 0.1 is the LFE track, and you cannot hook it up in such a manner to a passive sub. However you are not losing out on any bass response this way either.

This AM-10 is a Passive sub. Yes, Bose later on released active AM-10 as well.

This was my first experience with a Bose 5.1 and frankly speaking, I did not like it. Now by stating 'results were satisfying' I meant that the ease with which denon 1910 supported the AM10 and 5.1 was satisfying.

Well, the person who is using the setup is happy and in the end thats what matters:indifferent14:

Cheers!

Hi Sumit,

since you've handled the install, a question, more for my GK than anything else..

how does the AM10 handle the bass signals to the satellites? I can understand that all satellites have a high pass (around 200hz, AFAIK) and there would be a low pass from the front mains signals to the subwoofer.. but what about any signals below 200hz to the centre or surrounds? does the subwoofer crossover take these signals also or are they ignored?

if it's the latter, I'm guessing you'd need to do bass management on the reciever as well.. :eek:hyeah:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back