AVR is not needed...a simple amplifier will do !!

creeggg

Hello All,

I am looking for a budget amplifier that is powerful and simple. The following are my simple requirements:
1. It should be 5.1 channel
2. BASS TREBLE and VOLUME control through remote.
(3.HDMI or Optical inputs if possible)
(4. Ability to switch between 5.1 and 2.1 channel through remote if possible)

I don't need all the hi-fi stuff like 4K pass, Blueray etc etc... All I need is awesome sound quality with nice bass in this budget. My budget is 10k. Brands like Yamaha etc are very costly.... local brands... or less known imported ones are also fine if they are tried and tested. May be brands like NORGE, etc etc ....

Also any info about the Shops in Hyderabad to buy them...
Please help me guys... Thanks a lot to all nice people here ...

Hello All,

I am looking for a budget amplifier that is powerful and simple. The following are my simple requirements:
1. It should be 5.1 channel
2. BASS TREBLE and VOLUME control through remote.
(3.HDMI or Optical inputs if possible)
(4. Ability to switch between 5.1 and 2.1 channel through remote if possible)

I don't need all the hi-fi stuff like 4K pass, Blueray etc etc... All I need is awesome sound quality with nice bass in this budget. My budget is 10k. Brands like Yamaha etc are very costly.... local brands... or less known imported ones are also fine if they are tried and tested. May be brands like NORGE, etc etc ....

Also any info about the Shops in Hyderabad to buy them...
Please help me guys... Thanks a lot to all nice people here ...

Which speakers would you be driving with this amp? What is your source going to be?

10k might not get you an amp that would enjoy listening to. Yes, what you can get is a 5.1 speaker system with some digital inputs. You can take a look at

1. Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906

2. Logitech Z506 Surround Sound 5.1 multimedia Speakers

Z906 has a number of Input options, while 506 is primarily a computer speaker. If your source is a computer and it can output 5.1 Audio, you can feed that to it.

MaSh

Hello Tuff and Mash...its nice to know about new brans..like Panda. And the models you shared in logitec are really nice. Both prices are reasonable. Im fond of rock music and hollywood movies. Home theater domain is extremely intresting. Till now i was using some standard HTiB packages. Just to satisfy my curiosity i want to play around with different speakers and amplifires. but at the same time its very costly affair. Since i am inexperienced, i want to start low, because there is a chance of messing up things.

So i started studying about AVRs. I understood they handle both audio and video processing so they are naturally costly.
But my intrest is only good quality sound but not the picture. (I have a 55" led with HD set top box. Im satisfied with it). So later i started studying about only AUDIO AMPLIFIERS. So I want to build 5.1 budget audio home theater. I will start with Bookshelf speakers with a price around 15k. Later i will add sub and surrounds.

This is the reason Im looking for budget 5.1 amplifier with remote. I understand quality comes with price. But I want to explore the best amplifier i can get within 10-15k.

Hope i didnt bore you out... just taught of sharing some background. Thank you very much for the suggestios guys...

Hi

Its a nice initiative to learn and study things related to the AV world. Most of us also were on the same path more than a decade back using simple DIY amps and speakers.....

In Mumbai, we have Lamington Road which is the Electronics market to purchase all AV components .....i played around for sometime ...i finally moved to more professional setups since 2002 onwards as i could not provide TIME anymore to DIY. So..i kept buying and selling systems, speakers, avrs and amps....this is to get a flavor of whats out there and what is good.....you learn the best or bitter way.....nothing comes free..

my suggestion is to look at the For Sale by Owner or other online classified sites where you get sweet deals coming in from time to time unless you have adequate capital to invest....

Hello Tuff and Mash...its nice to know about new brans..like Panda. And the models you shared in logitec are really nice. Both prices are reasonable. Im fond of rock music and hollywood movies. Home theater domain is extremely intresting. Till now i was using some standard HTiB packages. Just to satisfy my curiosity i want to play around with different speakers and amplifires. but at the same time its very costly affair. Since i am inexperienced, i want to start low, because there is a chance of messing up things.

So i started studying about AVRs. I understood they handle both audio and video processing so they are naturally costly.
But my intrest is only good quality sound but not the picture. (I have a 55" led with HD set top box. Im satisfied with it). So later i started studying about only AUDIO AMPLIFIERS. So I want to build 5.1 budget audio home theater. I will start with Bookshelf speakers with a price around 15k. Later i will add sub and surrounds.

This is the reason Im looking for budget 5.1 amplifier with remote. I understand quality comes with price. But I want to explore the best amplifier i can get within 10-15k.

Hope i didnt bore you out... just taught of sharing some background. Thank you very much for the suggestios guys...
You have charted out a perfect plan for incremental upgrade to a 5.1 system over period of time for a person on a constrained budget.

Let's fast forward the plan for a moment - Once you assemble your 5.1 setup using a cheaper Amps costing less than 10k without AVR ; which will drive bookshelves costing 15k with equally costlier center, Surrounds and SW ; your cheap Amp will become the Achilles heel of your system. Selling the same wouldn't be easier too. Selecting the matching speakers set for cheaper Amps will be a challenge in itself. Without HDMI how'd you intend to feed a quality video to 55" TV from multiple sources (your sources will change after you get a 5.1)? Cheap Hdmi splitting will degrade SQ to a certain extent.

5.1 is more about different codecs and its proper execution ; there is no cheaper and equally effective work around for AVR in a 5.1 home theater system.

I'd suggest you to increase a budget for couple of thousand more and get a reliable used AVR from the classified section of the forum, Build a system around it ( though ideally speakers should be the center of the system).

Last edited:
Efernand1 anf Drkrack both your suggestions are very insightful. Thank you very very much guys..i will definitely think in that direction too...

Due to some bad experiences in my friends circle, im scared of used AVR sets... but i will reconsider that too. I have to check used AVR in hyderabad area.

thank you very very much guys...

Hi creeg

i was floating on the same boat last month & i found a nice solution which i didnt applied though for other reasons but could be useful to you.

First of all to get 5.1
1) u need a Digital signal processor which processes the codec & splits up into 5 channels this can be done
i) Cheapest solution is to buy a pro sound card like asus make @ approx 10-15K,
once you have different channel inputs , u can use audio amplifiers to amplify them
but for 5 channels , u need a multi channel amp or 3nos 2-channel amplifiers. A
simple solution is leave out the centre channel & 2 nos 2-channel amp can do.

ii) An AVR (2nd cheapest ) , which has direct speaker connectivity & marantz make
puredirect mode for 2 channel audio. A single box for both audio n video.

iii) A DSP processor & Multichannel amplifier can do all.

2) A more simple way is to buy a Home theatre package like logitech, panda audio, polk audio can do

Hey Rahul, ur strategy is exiting.... i need to do as much home work as i can.But before that, I need to come out of my fear as well..... thanks for sharing bro...

The sound you would get out a "boom box" albeit cheaper will leave you totally dissatisfied. When you try to dispose it, you will not even get scrap value.

Trust me, most of us have been through this path and it might end up being expensive in the long run, though now it looks cheap.

Experience is the best teacher. Gain from the experience of FMs who advice you against such a step.

My best bet would be a used AVR from this forum. Most people are honest and will tell you outright if there is a problem with the AVR, speaker etc.

So you are reasonably safe and can have a better start.

The rest is up to you. Hope this helps.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back