AVR - Marantz SR6015 or Denon or Yamaha

X man

As I have posted in another thread, my marantz Sr6005 works normally for 1.5 hours and then goes silent even though the functions including display etc work normally even then. Service centre has stated that it cant be repaired as the model is old.

In case I am unable to fix this, will have to look for a new AVR. My natural preference is for Marantz - but am having second thoughts given product issues (malfunctioning) especially as AVRs are now very expensive. I am wondering if I should go for Marantz or switch to either a Denon or Yamaha.

I am looking for a good AVR, having a pre amp out that pairs up well with my Monitor Audio Silver speakers and also is reliable. I do not have any experience with Yamaha, but wondering if a) its performance is good/better vs. Marantz and b) its more reliable. Any suggestions will be helpful. Also wanted to get a sense on pricing these days.

As I have posted in another thread, my marantz Sr6005 works normally for 1.5 hours and then goes silent even though the functions including display etc work normally even then. Service centre has stated that it cant be repaired as the model is old.

In case I am unable to fix this, will have to look for a new AVR. My natural preference is for Marantz - but am having second thoughts given product issues (malfunctioning) especially as AVRs are now very expensive. I am wondering if I should go for Marantz or switch to either a Denon or Yamaha.

I am looking for a good AVR, having a pre amp out that pairs up well with my Monitor Audio Silver speakers and also is reliable. I do not have any experience with Yamaha, but wondering if a) its performance is good/better vs. Marantz and b) its more reliable. Any suggestions will be helpful. Also wanted to get a sense on pricing these days.

If you are used to a Marantz then switching to a Denon will not make sense. Marantz & Denon are manufactured by related companies and recently was under Sound United and now based on Feb 2022 news being acquired by Masimo Corporation.

Nowadays no AVR is guaranteed to be reliable as most are made with cheap components made in china which have a limited shelf life. Possibly the AVRs made in Japan may have possibly better built components used and may last longer.

Since 2020, Covid has hiked up the rates and all good hi end models of any brand cost a lac or even more.

If you want pre outs etc, Marantz SR series are the ones to look at, If Denon, ensure you look at 3000 / 4000 series and if Yamaha then a good Hi End models like the Aventage series would make sense.

One of our ex FMs (Derek) used a Denon then i advised him for a Marantz which he liked then he tried a Yamaha Aventage series for a short period and then finally switched back to a Marantz. I heard all the 3 AVRs at his place. The Yamaha Aventage series is good but still Marantz rules.

If you were comfortable with your existing setup using SR6005 which works well in the system chain you have, then it makes sense to look for similar AVR and its features. For obvious reasons you may not get a new SR 6005 but possible a pre owned one over olx or our classified section. These will obviously be much cheaper than a new one and the fact remains for any brand AVR, older models were built to last for as long as possible.

Review and decide whats the best option that works for you. All the best!

Denon has better service network. And that's why there is a huge mad rush for it. Marantz for brand royalty and the ones who wants quality over reliability (as service network is less and so are spare parts, if any fault, can't be repaired easily). Others like Yamaha, pioneer and Onkyo has lost the battle to these two and unless their 2.0 resurgence happenes you are risking buying the remaining pieces found in market with non-functional product line. Price - you could get Denon 3700 for about Rs.135000 with an online buy. Dealers are asking you to wait for Rs.1.15 lakhs - orders take 2 months to process - so you have to pay advance and block it and sit on it. Denon S series are available easily which is less powerful and are inexpensive and may work out in our range or even Marants 1500 series - these are mid range with 6 ohms 75 watts per channel typical lightweights. For the 8 ohms 100 watts or more per chanel of power you have to spend more than a lakh. Come September, pioneer is coming back under Onkyo distribution network. That could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yamaha is a reliable brand and can get easily serviced. In fact their inspection charges by service center are less. But if you compare sound with Marantz, you will prefer Marantz as Yamaha can sound little thinner and less powerful in same price range.

Yamaha is a reliable brand and can get easily serviced. In fact their inspection charges by service center are less. But if you compare sound with Marantz, you will prefer Marantz as Yamaha can sound little thinner and less powerful in same price range.
I am sorry but are you talking about authorised service centers? Or the multi brand service centers by private self employed technicians? Maybe I am the one who was wrongly informed. I was told only Denon has a functional company service center right now. I will check and confirm.

All are good .Each brand has its own characteristics and signature.Since you are user of Marantz ,better to stick the same.
If you want to change, especially Yamaha better to audition and decide. Yamaha has more cleaner and crisper sound.Some may like ,some may not .

if you can get a denon avr which has same specification as it's marantz counter part at cheap prce then go for the denon. Usually they are cheper than marantz and they belong to same parent company.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back