AVR/Stereo Receiver with Paradigm Monitor 9

prashantn

Hi,

I have the Paradigm Monitor 9 Floor-standers and 'am looking to upgrade my old amplifier. I have shortlist the below options and would love your feedback to finalize one:

Option 1: Yamaha Network Stereo Receiver R-N602 - Rs 45k (Newly launched stereo receiver, includes Wifi, Airplay and even a USB Port on the front)

Option 2: Denon AVR-X2200W - Rs 56k

i. Would the Paradigms sound better on a Yamaha compared to a Denon? Or should I explore some other brands given that Paradigms are bright speakers and Yamaha is a warm amp?

ii. Will the Stereo Receiver be a better option fro Sound compared to the 5.1 AVR, given the fact that I don't plan to upgrade my sound in the near future? The only reason why I would skip a pure amplifier is the connectivity matters to me.

Thanks people!
Prashant

Hi Prashant,

I am using Marantz with Paradigm 9 and i am quite happy with the setup.. You can try Marantz AVR also if you like warm sound and plan to go for AVR.

I have a demon Avr which actually sound warm. I have heard marantz and Yamaha as well. Overall I feel marantz as same as denon when it comes to movies. Yamaha is kind of forward soundingvwhich some people like. If you like warm sound then you should look for denon, marantz or pioneer lx series. You should hear it to feel the difference.

Hi Prashant,

If given a choice between Denon and Marantz which is manufactured by same company D & M Holdings, I would trip on Marantz as there are better components and is much much better in performance.

Makes sense to go for a 7.1 avr as you can then digitally hook up all sources. Depending on which series you go for ( either SR or NR) you can allocate more power to the floor standing speakers through Bi Amp mode and still enjoy 5.1 effects.

The beauty of Marantz is that besides audyssey, bass + treble controls, it has 9 band adjustable EQ which is a blessing to audiophiles who love to tweak their music and enjoy excellent stereo playback....IMHO yamaha was good till 2005, after that I didn't feel anything great due to nominal built quality...I used the pioneer LX series too very briefly..way expensive...settled with marantz now for 4+ years and changed various models...

There is a slim NR 1605 available on Hi Fi ads...if you are interested..seems to be just a month old...although 50w rms, this amp is comparable side by side with a Yamaha which claims 100w rms easily...I used the NR1402 and NR1504 in the past...this is my experience with it...

why are you upgrading current amp? only because you want more connectivity options?
which moniter 9 are they? can you post pic of them pls?

Thanks Ppl for the inputs.
I finally closed with the Yamaha R-S602; believe me it's an amazing receiver. USB/Wifi/Tuner/Bluetooth/NAS, it has everything and it is a stereo receiver. Perfect if you are willing to give up a 7.1 setup.

@ Kaptan, tried both Denon AVR and Yamaha Network Receiver - The sound is warm in both of these and they are quite close in terms of reproduction. Except that a stereo received is better for certain tracks with a better sharpness. I tried of them through a switcher to compare better.

@ efernand1 - The NR 1605 was only 50W per channel :(. Btw, the Paradigm PW-AMP is also another superb option. I think i will rate the output of a digital amplifier a shade better than even stereo receivers in a similar price range. Just that these have a bit poor connectivity problems.

Hi Prashant,

Congrats!:clapping:
How is your experience with Yamaha R-N602? please share some insight. Would you recommend this over AVR's for following usage :)

Music - 70%
Movie & SetupBox HD - 30%

For how much you were able to seal the deal on Yamaha R-N602?

Regards,
Binu
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 42PJ650 Plasma | Denon 1612 | Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones | Bose Acoustimass Series 3 |

Did not find a more suitable place to post below query of mine, apologies if wrong one, please feel free to move this post to an appropriate location.

During to my recent visit to UK bought Yamaha RN602 stereo network amplifier, really works like charm connected to old jamo satellite speakers and a sub-woofer. Usually use FM, Airplay and USB

However, I am not able to play TV audio thorough this system, I am a bit disappointed with this. Now TV is connect to Videocon D2h set top box via HDMI. I tried connecting TV to Yamaha RN602 via RCA as well as digital, both does not transfer the sound to the amplifier. Am I missing something, much appreciate any help in connecting TV to the system I have mentioned above.

Thanks in advance

Ceekay

you need to have an ARC output in your tv to connect to receiver or a digital out

Thanks mshifi, TV is Panasonic 50VT20, how can I figure if it is ARC HDMI. For your information RN-602 is a stereo receiver and does not have HDMI connections

Thanks mshifi, TV is Panasonic 50VT20, how can I figure if it is ARC HDMI. For your information RN-602 is a stereo receiver and does not have HDMI connections
If its Videocon d2h HD set-top box, it has digital coaxial out and analog audio output. Connect with shielded rca cable from set-top box coaxial out to yamaha 602.
Or use the analog output from settop box to analog inputs of yamaha 602. No need to bother about TV at all.

Honestly, I'd prefer digital coaxial connection between d2h box and the yamaha 602, because the superior inbuilt DAC of yamaha will be used in this case.
Hope this helps.

@mshifi, @drkrack thanks for your inputs, the problem is resolved I am able to connect TV audio to the speakers.

Back