AVR suggestions for using with TATA sky STB

vaibhav

Hello,
I'm really enjoying the discussions on this forum - very informative. I did do some searches on my query that i've posted below but got partial information.
I intend to purchase a suitable, budget AVR that will take signals from tata sky as well as (at a later date) from a PC/laptop and play movies and music.
Music is about 25-30% of time so that's not major. Movie performance is a must (about 50% or more of the time). Rest would be some sports program where i can use surround mode for optimum effect - but this would be again 10% or so. My budget for the AVR is INR 20,000 or US$400. I will add two front channel speakers locally and build the rest of (5.1) system over a period of time. I dont need more channels than that (no room :)
I will purchase and get it hauled across to India as a personal consumption item (so am not too worried about the duty part) - there're many deals going on now that make this a rather lucrative proposition. Given below are a few samples:
1. Denon 1709 for $200.
2. HK254 for about $400.
3. Onkyo TX-SR576 for $290.
4. I did listen to a yamaha (363?) in the local tata chroma here and honestly, it wasnt all that hot :mad:
Good marantz avrs are out of this range. I cant think of another brand in this category.
I have until 15th May to make this decision.
thanks in advance for all advice.
cheers!
Vaibhav

thanks MS :clapping: - do you use denon 1709 currently? Will it process signals directly from STB (i have a TV with good PQ but crappy sound).
Any speaker suggestions to go with this one?
cheers!
Vaibhav

thanks MS :clapping: - do you use denon 1709 currently? Will it process signals directly from STB (i have a TV with good PQ but crappy sound).
Any speaker suggestions to go with this one?
cheers!
Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,

Denon 1709 has all i/p connectivity options including HDMI. Yes It can process audio signals from STB and you can connect speakars to the AVR and get rid of crappy sound.

Regarding speakers let us know your budget. then we can suggest.

try tannoy/wharfedale/morduant short. they are quite popular in the forum

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi Prakash
Thanks for the answer! :)
Budget for speakers is another 20K (bookshelves + stands). Look forward to your suggestions!
- Vaibhav

A suggestion - you may want to set up the STB-TV, STB-AVR connections in such a way that you will be able to watch TV without switching on the AVR, when required. If you need to have the AVR on for all your regular TV viewing, the power bill might be huge...

If your TV has audio/video-out, connect the same to AVR. Otherwise, use Y-split RCA cables and connect both the TV and AVR to STB.

wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the AVR (connecting from TVs audio out). I think the Y-split RCA cable is a better option. I will check that, thanks

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back