AVR - Surge protector/Voltage stabilizer/UPS

nipunkx

Recently purchased a RXV-481 AVR. Its now connected directly to the power socket. Its an expensive purchase for me and cannot afford to risk its life span. The installation guy from ProFX told that I MUST use a voltage stabilizer for it. Surfing the internet for more details made me more confused on what I need to use from the following:
1) Voltage stabilizer
2) Surge protector
3) UPS
Please let me know what i need to use to improve the life span of the AVR?

Unless there is lot of voltage fluctuations in your area, you are better off with a good surge protector

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I have a belkin 3 socket surge protector to which TV and DTH are connected. If i switch this belkins ON both TV and DTH is receiving power. If i connect the AVR to its third socket it means all three (tv, dth and avr) will be on with a single switch which I dont want ideally while watching only TV. Does that mean I have to buy a second surge protector to protect the AVR alone? IS there any other set up that i can look at?

I have my TV, DTH, AVR, powered sub plugged into a belkin surge protector.
The surge protector is itself plugged to my Bluebird 1kva stabilizer. The stabilizer goes to wall.

This way stabilizer stabilizes the voltage and surge protector removes the surges. It's working well.

Huntkey surge protectors have individual switches for each socket. You can try it.
But Belkin is highly recommended brand for surge protection.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Recently purchased a RXV-481 AVR. Its now connected directly to the power socket. Its an expensive purchase for me and cannot afford to risk its life span. The installation guy from ProFX told that I MUST use a voltage stabilizer for it. Surfing the internet for more details made me more confused on what I need to use from the following:
1) Voltage stabilizer
2) Surge protector
3) UPS
Please let me know what i need to use to improve the life span of the AVR?

Hi Nipunkx,

As you own Yamaha 481 Receiver it is fine to connect directly to the power socket. Because one good thing of Yamaha Receiver is, if there are 3 continuous Voltage fluctuation then Yamaha Receiver locks itself from being damaged. You have to reset it. However to be on the safe side you can use a stabilizer. For my HT Equipment(i.e Sony 50" LED, Onkyo 646 Receiver, Sonodyne Roarr Subwoofer and SONY BD/DVD Player) I use both 3A V-Guard Stabilizer as well as Philips Surge Protector.

All the equipment are connected to the Surge Protector and Surge Protector is connected to the Stabilizer.

I am not sure whether an UPS can handle the power demand of an AV Receiver or not. Because I have installed UPS Inverter but during power failure my Inverter is unable to supply power to these equipment. It beeps for 5-10 seconds then shuts down.

Thanks and Regards
Sujit

Thanks Sujith and AmJay for your valuable inputs. Both of you seems to use the same set up with all the equipment connected to a surge protector and the surge protector inturn connected to a voltage stabilizer. I have a doubt with this kind of set up. Dont it mean that turning on the stabilizer is sending electric supply to the full devices in the HT set up? if Yes, wont it increase the electric consumption? Also isn't it indirectly decreasing the life span of the devices being turned on even when not in use?

Thanks Sujith and AmJay for your valuable inputs. Both of you seems to use the same set up with all the equipment connected to a surge protector and the surge protector inturn connected to a voltage stabilizer. I have a doubt with this kind of set up. Dont it mean that turning on the stabilizer is sending electric supply to the full devices in the HT set up? if Yes, wont it increase the electric consumption? Also isn't it indirectly decreasing the life span of the devices being turned on even when not in use?
Yep. With Belkin surge protector, all equipments will receive power when stabilizer turns on.

If you don't want that, you can instead use Huntkey surge protector https://goo.gl/qQ9ERI
It has on/off switches for each socket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Check your AVR specification, I have yamaha rx-v375.

This is what mentioned on yamaha web site.
Yamaha makes its receivers eco-friendly with a low standby power consumption of 0.3W.

So I think if you don't turn on AVR but power is on, it will take 0.3W.

I might be wrong.

Following is what I am using from last 3 years

Sukam Inverter ( 1.6 KVA, 2x200 ah battery, power complete home fan,tube,etc... ) -> Power Socket -> Belkin Surge Protector

Have no problem, inverter is able to take load, AVR and PC does not reboot, works flawless.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back