B&W 600 series 5.1 setup

Hows the old B&W 600 series 2 for a HT 5.1 setup for 40 thousand includes 603 floor-standers and B&W CC6 S2 Center Speaker, surrounds dm 600 and asw500 sub. sparingly used from mumbai ? what amp should i pair it with ? one of the tweeters is slightly damaged.. is it a good price to pay for the setup and how are the speakers rated for HT use 90% of the time i'm gonna watch movies on them ? any light would be appreciated thanks in advance.!

Which model are you looking at?
603 S2 and S3 are excellent speakers if you are getting a good deal but need careful placement to sound best. They are quite transparent and do not colour the sound much. Also they need a long breakin period (200 hrs) to sound good with good amplification.

The CC6 is a good match for the front speakers.

series 2 and the sub is as2.. any recomdations on amp's.. why do u say they need careful placement . ? is it specific to this model only.

series 2 and the sub is as2.. any recomdations on amp's.. why do u say they need careful placement . ? is it specific to this model only.

B&W are very unforgiving speakers and hence require some attention to setup and placement. This is only if you are getting a good deal as in my opinion their price/performance is one of the highest. Not very favourable.

B&W are very unforgiving speakers and hence require some attention to setup and placement. This is only if you are getting a good deal as in my opinion their price/performance is one of the highest. Not very favourable.

I dont get it, why most of the people think B&W price performance ratio is high. I agree they are expensive, but they also perform very well, and since its a ratio, that should even out.

Lets compare the B&W with some of the value for money speakers and the forums favs are the wharfdales. The 685 cost about 45K (can be considered as the current model of 602), now can you tell me how many bookshelves cost less and can beat the 685. The only thing that probably comes close is mezzo2. All the wharfdales floorstanders are cheaper than this, but they are also significantly inferior (well, except for the bass), same case with missions, polks etc. So how come they become bad value. If you truly consider the PPR, B&W will beat the wf as the performance is much better:))

Take the entire spectrum of products, the low end satellites LM1 and the M1s are expensive, but sound great and if you want good sounding satellites, show me a better one at a cheaper price.

I use the old B&W rock solids for my surrounds, these are quite old speakers, and they are not even proper B&W, these are just from rock solid, which was a sort of a sister concern of B&W and they exchanged technologies a long time ago. these puny satellites sound way better than anything wharfdale/polk etc have to offer (as mains) in their entire product range in terms of sound quality (except for the bass again).

And lets not talk about the 8 series, that things just kicks ass.

One comparison I would love to see is the usher be 718 and the 705s, they approximately cost the same and both are pretty good speakers.

the as2 is a pretty lousy subwoofer, so you might want to replace that asap.

Hows the old B&W 600 series 2 for a HT 5.1 setup for 40 thousand includes 603 floor-standers and B&W CC6 S2 Center Speaker, surrounds dm 600 and asw500 sub. sparingly used from mumbai ? what amp should i pair it with ? one of the tweeters is slightly damaged.. is it a good price to pay for the setup and how are the speakers rated for HT use 90% of the time i'm gonna watch movies on them ? any light would be appreciated thanks in advance.!

Well the 603 S2 was a decent speaker at best. The series 3 was better for sure and the current 683/684 are too 'alive' for me. The tweeters on those speakers are not expensive provided u find them. I have blown a few B&W tweeters and have never really paid much. By slightly damaged do u mean cosmetic damage? Is the tweet working?
40 thousand for the entire set seems fair to say the least but i would not believe the 'sparingly used' bit. Most of us use our gear quite a bit and a 6/7 year old combo would have many hours on it.

Doors some interesting points. The 705 vs the BE 718. Have not heard the ushers so no first hand opinion but the ushers would definately have more lower freq ext and detail. Would also be a better balance over the entire freq spectrum IMO. I don t want to get into the price to performance debate on B&W or anything else really as this is all relative. From your post i gather u like a B&W speaker and so do I. I got my 805s @ about 1.25L and i thought that was good VFM too, but i know lots of guys who would have chosen differently.
Rgds

I dont get it, why most of the people think B&W price performance ratio is high. I agree they are expensive, but they also perform very well, and since its a ratio, that should even out.

Lets compare the B&W with some of the value for money speakers and the forums favs are the wharfdales. The 685 cost about 45K (can be considered as the current model of 602), now can you tell me how many bookshelves cost less and can beat the 685. The only thing that probably comes close is mezzo2. All the wharfdales floorstanders are cheaper than this, but they are also significantly inferior (well, except for the bass), same case with missions, polks etc. So how come they become bad value. If you truly consider the PPR, B&W will beat the wf as the performance is much better:))

Take the entire spectrum of products, the low end satellites LM1 and the M1s are expensive, but sound great and if you want good sounding satellites, show me a better one at a cheaper price.

I use the old B&W rock solids for my surrounds, these are quite old speakers, and they are not even proper B&W, these are just from rock solid, which was a sort of a sister concern of B&W and they exchanged technologies a long time ago. these puny satellites sound way better than anything wharfdale/polk etc have to offer (as mains) in their entire product range in terms of sound quality (except for the bass again).

And lets not talk about the 8 series, that things just kicks ass.

One comparison I would love to see is the usher be 718 and the 705s, they approximately cost the same and both are pretty good speakers.

the as2 is a pretty lousy subwoofer, so you might want to replace that asap.

Not all B&W's are bad vfm. Another reason members complain abt B&W's is its horribly priced when compared to at what price they are selling abroad.the 683's are bad for the money I have heard it. 685's are ok

Not all B&W's are bad vfm. Another reason members complain abt B&W's is its horribly priced when compared to at what price they are selling abroad.the 683's are bad for the money I have heard it. 685's are ok

I agree, the 683 are bad vfm at around 1 lac, so was 603.
most of the brands are horribly priced as compared to us/uk prices barring a few. Thats the case everywhere though, not specific to india. Go to some other forums and you will find canadians, australians, europians cribbing about prices in their country as compared to us/uk. You will also find brits cribbing about prices in their country for US brands. Universal attributes of the hifi industry. Same with cars etc I guess.

had a look again today, these are demo pieces and havent been used much the damage is as follows:

1, the remaining tweeters have cosmetic damage all though they are functioning properly.

All this for 40k is it worth buying ? i will for sure have to replace one of the tweeters but i'm not sure what to do with the midrange missing dust caps allthough they sound okay.

What AVR should be paired with these speakers for best results.

thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Hi! Just wanted to know where you're getting these demo pieces from and also if there is another offer on any other B&W set?

I am looking for 2 1/2 way or 3 way B&W's too!

thru a dealer in mumbai, whose a good friend of mine. sorry no other piece available, if i dont purchase this i will let u know.

thanks a lot mate..! i just purchased the entire set, will post pics soon. i need to replace 1 tweeter the other one seems like only cosmetic damage.

plz can anyone gimme suggestions for receivers now thats next on the cards ?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back