B&W 683 5.1 theatre vs CM9 theatre for 221 sq.ft. bedroom?

LOL! Inflation changes the way we talk as well!

I never had the entire 5.1 R series. I only had the R 300 for fronts but heard full fledged system with the dealer on an AV amp.

I agree with you that your choice of music listening might be totally different from mine!

BTW, I like Denon PMA-1510AE. It is one solid amp, IMO. Not much experience with NAD gear.

I din get your point on the 'inflation changes the way we talk as well' :confused:

As far as the Denon PMA1510AE is concerned, heheheh there you go! It din do much for me whereas the NAD, atlleast the current generation I find not bad at all.
:cool:

Prosenjit,
Kindly advice where you found this price??? Which model of Emotiva??? Is it ex India delivered to your doorstep or in the US???

:rolleyes:

Yes if the Emotiva is available for 40K it will make a good VFM power amp. The one model I heard (XPA 5) was quite bright driving Focal Electras.

Prosenjit,
Kindly advice where you found this price??? Which model of Emotiva??? Is it ex India delivered to your doorstep or in the US???

:rolleyes:

:lol::lol:nono....i said maybe...just an arbitrary price against xpa-5 us $ price.......
otherwise indian avilable sonodyne int amps are also good at least for the fronts...to unload the avr significantly...as navin suggested..

Last edited:

:lol::lol:nono....i said maybe...just an arbitrary price against xpa-5 us $ price.......
otherwise indian avilable sonodyne int amps are also good at least for the fronts...to unload the avr significantly...as navin suggested..

XPA-5 price is $899 in US(as per their website), @ todays exchange rate of Rs.54.27 per 1 $, it comes to Rs.48789/-, then to bring it here(India/your city/hometown/home) add Shipping+Customs & you will arrive at the correct price, which unfortunately will NOT be around 40k as mentioned by you.

Don't take it the wrong way but its not right to misguide someone by just giving any odd number & say but its only 'Rs.X' & so on.

Most people asking for advice such as the OP are relative newbies & so we as in regular posters/well wishers have a responsibility to guide them correctly not only about a product but about its price as well.

:)

big bro...nothing serious...i just did it fast and wanted to give as a reference...not the exact...
and i was talking about this which is...
UPA-500 Five-Channel Power Amplifier | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and
and 80w real power is not less...with a speaker of say 87 db...and a listinig distance of 2.5 meter this is huge power...
sorry its upa..not xpa:eek::eek:
apology for not being specific...

what about Pulz or Norge? Any expereince with these? I am told many Indian amps are in fact chip amps based on the 1875, 3875 and/or 3886.

and 80w real power is not less...with a speaker of say 87 db...and a listinig distance of 2.5 meter this is huge power....

unrelated to power but I would (at his point) like to add that when giving a speaker a clean 100W rms (20-20kHz, THD < 0.01% ....you know the drill) we need to also consider the speaker's ability to handle power without mechanical stress.

one suggestion as many menbvers have done already.
get an avr of 70k with pre outs and get an power amp of emotiva 80w*5 lits maybe 40k here....
this 1.1 lakh set up will rock the speakers..as 80*5 is all ch driven unlike avrs fishy rating...2 or 1 ch driven....

Hi Prosenjit, lets say I buy the Maranrz 6006(52k at hifimart), then can you suggest me a couple of models? Also does the 6006 have pre outs? That means that I won't need any preamp with them to be connected to power amp? Sorry, if I'm unclear, but my aim is to get full performance out of my speakers by let's say using a power amp with the AVR. Kindly advise, thanks.

Hi again everybody,

As of now, I can't understand completely about the power amp model that I should buy, guess with a good receiver like Aventage 1010 or Denon 2313, 3313 or Marantz 6006,6007, etc. the preamp (separately) wouldn't be required right? Please correct me if my info is wrong here.

I checked out many websites and some say Roksan Hifi Kandy K2 power amp goes well with CM9. Whereas some say Nad is good. Rotel has good number of recommendations as well for CM9, Rotel being part of the same company. This has left me confused. Also, the approximate Indian prices of these are approx. between 1lac-1.5lac which is a lot! Would I need them after all? Because I spoke to one of the B&W dealers in Delhi and he told me that according to my room size, CM9 is a little big. But the irony is he started the conversation by recommending me Paradigm's, to which I said no and only B&W, then he suggested me 684 theatre or even 683 theatre. I further showed my interest in CM series and he suggested me CM8. After half an hour of discussion on the phone, he told me that Sir, the CM9 is perfect for your room. Lol! I know he wants to make a good sale as well in a case where the customer (i.e. myself) is drooling over CM9's. So, he ain't at fault I guess. I know I'm getting BIGGG speakers just because I have the feeling that I love them already and if I settle for 683 theatre, I might would consider upgrading them soon because of my secret love for CM9's. I have promised my better half that if I get this system now, I wouldn't upgrade the speakers for another 10-15 years which is cool with me. At least, I would be getting something that I adore so much. All I would have to do in time is upgrade the AVR probably.

So, if according to him, the speakers are too big for the room which is not acoustically treated, and he has also advised me against the acoustics part because generally, as he said, bedrooms aren't treated for acoustics. What is your guys' say on that? I have civil work going on at my home for other rooms etc and if there is a need, might as well get it done. So, please advise me here.

Lastly, this is what I have been quoted, do comment on the same:

B&W CM9's x 2 = 1,19,950 x 2= 2,39,900
B&W CM C2 x1 = 1,04,990
B&W DS3 Dipolar = 34,950 x2 = 69,900
Velodyne SPL 1200 Ultra Sub = 1,00,000
Pioneer LX 56 = 85,000 / Yamaha Aventage 1010i = 1,15,000
Total = 6,30,000 Rs excluding DVAT and cables, interconnects, installation charges, etc.

- All these prices are exclusive of DVAT 12.5%.
- He is yet to make a comment on the discount but he has assured me that there is discount which we will discuss once we finalise the system.
- When I told my dealer that I have heard Pioneer's after sales support is very bad, he said he has never had a problem but won't even deny the fact completely. Lol! I got the idea when he said that. Also, he said Marantz or Denon AVR's aren't upto the mark as Yamaha 1010i or Onkyo 818. Is that true if I have 80% movie preferences? Please suggest.
- I checked last night and saw that Velodyne SPL 1200 is discontinued. Is that true? Because I checked on their website under Optimum series under discontinued products. Also, I have heard Velodyne's EQ MAX 15 twice and I loved it. I have a feeling that it will be more than enough for my room. BTW I did check on their website on the sub finder and as my room volume is 2652 cubic feet, velodyne.com recommended EQ MAX 12 whereas I read on avsforum that a bigger sub is better than a smaller sub for a listening space because one can adjust or lower the sub settings on a bigger sub instead of getting a small one and using it at higher capacity. Which sub do you guys think I should go in for? Heard that SVS and HSU are good but honestly, no idea about it.
- I guess the whole system will set me back by 7 lacs and I can always buy a power amp in time once I feel there's a need for that or the speakers are performing below par. Emotive XPA 3 or 5 have great reviews but I think I would also have to use a voltage transformer (110 to 220 V). Already with my Xbox 360 modern warfare, I am using one which I disconnect when I have to play my OPPO BDP 93. That is such a pain. I don't want to get US models specifically. So my choices are limited and expensive at the same, talking about the products which are available in India like NAD, Rotel, Roksan, etc. What do you think about that? According to my dealer, I would be more than satisfied with what he has quoted me.

I need your thoughts and expert opinions on the above system now. Based on your guidance, I will take the final call next month. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
Aakash.

it is always better to use a powre amp in the chain..
maratnz 5007 has pre outs in hifi mart..56k..
also yamaha some models and hk some models under 50k has pre outs...

B&W are power hungry as i read in this forum...
and a power amp is not a waste of money...

things will go on without it......

things will go on better with it.

things will never ever go bad with it.....

hope i was clear

Prosenjit that means instead of going in for a 1-1.25 lac AVR, I should buy an AVR around 50k-70k and buy a power amp separately. Ok, I comprehend this. Let's say I pick Marantz 6006 (52k at hifimart), then which power amp will you suggest? It will be great if you can give me an idea of the price of the power amp. I checked Whatshifi for the price reference and I was shocked to see their prices. Attaching a screenshot of the same. Please advise.

it is always better to use a powre amp in the chain..
maratnz 5007 has pre outs in hifi mart..56k..
also yamaha some models and hk some models under 50k has pre outs...

B&W are power hungry as i read in this forum...
and a power amp is not a waste of money...

things will go on without it......

things will go on better with it.

things will never ever go bad with it.....

hope i was clear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 106
Also, if I add a power amp right from the beginning, I would have to pick my AVR cautiously without spending a lot of amount on it so that I can buy the power amp with ease. Eg. If I buy a Yamaha 1020 at let's say 1.25 lacs approx, then adding a poweramp at around 1-1.5 lacs will push the cost of AVR+PowerAmp at 2.5-3 lacs!! Either I can buy an expensive avr or buy a good 60-70k range avr and pair it with a power amp for around 1 lac. My budget is a little flexible here but can't double the amount at the moment for the same. Thanks and regards.

check this emotiva power amp in e bay india..
Brand New Emotiva mini-X a-100 | eBay

avenuesound is a reputed seller...
contact them for other models
emotiva is the best vfm power amp...
check emotiva site..
they only sell dirsct online...5 yers warranty...but from e bay ind..no manu warranty i think..
no idea about customs..
they will tell the shipping though...

5007 at 56k has pre outs....dont know about 6006..i dont think it has..
suppose u add emotiva 399 usd in usa 80w*5 amp..22k...
so its 60k even here..(just assuming 20k becpmes 60k after land...)
total is 1.1 lakh
if you pik up directly from usa.. much cheaper..

btw separate power amp is always good...and power amps power rating is very truth..unlike avrs makers one ch driven...so and so fishy rating...power amp deal about real power..all ch driven..

If I now decide to take the power amp route, do you think Emotiva would be good enough for CM9? Like many forums say that Rotel is the best match for it. I am concerned that the money I spend, should yield the best results and not better results. Say if an Emotiva Poweramp costs me 60k and Rotel costs me 80-90k (just assuming), I would want to walk the extra mile and get a better product. The case would be entirely different if Emotiva is available for 60k and Rotel or something else is available at 1.2 lacs or more, then I might buy Rotel right away or wait for my savings to grow to buy it later or if the difference is just too much like 1.5 lacs+, then I might just settle for the 60k Emotiva. I feel stressed as I can't really find out which power amp is best suited with CM9. When I search on google about it, most results pop up of those people who are using CM9 in a 2.1 setup. Which avr+poweramp combo is the best for CM9 5.1 theatre based on the specs that I have mentioned earlier? Looks like nobody owns a CM9 in the forum, too bad for me!:sad: Btw I just sent an email to avenuesound for XPA 3 or 5. Will share what they say when I get a reply. Thanks.

check this emotiva power amp in e bay india..
Brand New Emotiva mini-X a-100 | eBay

avenuesound is a reputed seller...
contact them for other models
emotiva is the best vfm power amp...
check emotiva site..
they only sell dirsct online...5 yers warranty...but from e bay ind..no manu warranty i think..
no idea about customs..
they will tell the shipping though...

5007 at 56k has pre outs....dont know about 6006..i dont think it has..
suppose u add emotiva 399 usd in usa 80w*5 amp..22k...
so its 60k even here..(just assuming 20k becpmes 60k after land...)
total is 1.1 lakh
if you pik up directly from usa.. much cheaper..

btw separate power amp is always good...and power amps power rating is very truth..unlike avrs makers one ch driven...so and so fishy rating...power amp deal about real power..all ch driven..

sorry cannot comment on sound signature of your asked swpeakers with any combo..no exp..sorry..apologies..
nice u sent a mail..please share the prices..
then at 52k..6006 is great..i missed the pre outs..

Last edited:
B&W CM series go very well with Arcam AVRs. If you are going for bookshelves (which I think you should, more on this later) then the Arcam AVR300 will provide more than enough power and also better most separates near the price. Look up that AVR and you will see why I am saying that.

Regarding bookshelves versus FS.. if you are looking for volume, trust me with enough power something like CM5 will be more than enough loud for you in your room. Volume is not about speaker size but power handing capability of the speakers and how well they can pressurize the room. FS will overbear the room and will translate into wasted funds which will be put to much better use into amplifier, source or cables (no intention of starting cable argument here)

If you are really kken on FS then you can step up to the AVR600 but that even more moolah.

One more thing, I will not recommend Emotiva amps with B&W especially for HT purposes unless you have heard the combo yourself and like the sound. Emotiva amps are said to have a slightly bright to bright lower treble which combined with a B&W speaker can make the system sound fatiguing. Fatigue inducing brightness does not occur at really high frequencies, they actually happen at the 2.5-5k region which is where these two dont make a very good pairing.

Last edited:
B&W CM series go very well with Arcam AVRs. If you are going for bookshelves (which I think you should, more on this later) then the Arcam AVR300 will provide more than enough power and also better most separates near the price. Look up that AVR and you will see why I am saying that.

If you are really kken on FS then you can step up to the AVR600 but that even more moolah.

One more thing, I will not recommend Emotiva amps with B&W especially for HT purposes unless you have heard the combo yourself and like the sound. Emotiva amps are said to have a slightly bright to bright lower treble which combined with a B&W speaker can make the system sound fatiguing. Fatigue inducing brightness does not occur at really high frequencies, they actually happen at the 2.5-5k region which is where these two dont make a very good pairing.

I believe the Arcam 300 is now replaced by the 400. But yes; the 400 can drive the CM8/9 pretty well (in "biamped" mode where the power of 2 rear channels is used for the lf and the main channels only drive the mid/hf). However I found the combo not completely to my liking though.

Hi again, I got the following reply from avenuesound:

"Hello Aakash,

We don't have the Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5 in stock at the moment but we can specially order it for you. Yes, it would carry the same 5 year warranty offered by Emotiva and it would be a brand new, factory sealed product. Thanks and we look forward to hearing back from you!

Sincerely,
Regards
Mohsin Khan
Avenue Sound Electronics

Customer Support 022-23644258
cell: +91-9920211112"

Will update you once they send me the INR prices of XPA 3 and 5.

sorry cannot comment on sound signature of your asked swpeakers with any combo..no exp..sorry..apologies..
nice u sent a mail..please share the prices..
then at 52k..6006 is great..i missed the pre outs..

Here's their reply on Emotiva Xpa 3 and Xpa 5 pricing:

Dear aakash3456,

Hello Aakash,

Thanks for your interest in the Emotiva XPA-3 and XPA-5 amplifiers. The XPA-3 would cost Rs. 55,000 plus shipping if you need us to ship outside Mumbai. The XPA-5 would cost Rs. 82,500 plus shipping if you need us to ship outside Mumbai. Thanks and we look forward to hearing back from you!

Sincerely,

Regards
Mohsin Khan
Avenue Sound Electronics

Which avr+poweramp combo is the best for CM9 5.1 theatre based on the specs that I have mentioned earlier? Looks like nobody owns a CM9 in the forum, too bad for me!:sad: Btw I just sent an email to avenuesound for XPA 3 or 5. Will share what they say when I get a reply. Thanks.
Since I owned in the past B&W CM9, I will share my thoughts here.

Rotel is suggested with CM9s and Classe with 8xx series as all these companies are held by same parent company.

Rotel Power amps comes in two flavours. Class AB as well as Class D. I find the difference in them. I had Rotel RB 1562 driving CM9s. Unless & until some one loves the bright sound, it is almost impossible for me to recommend the combination. I also had Rotel RMB 1075 the older Class AB version which also made not such a great combo.

The only time where I liked the sound of CM9 (it was during the audition) is with Arcam AVR600. Based on that audition I purchased CM9 and I was driving them with various combinations for few months including Denon AVR 3310 + Rotel RB1562. I had B&W CMC and CM1 at the same time along with PV1 sub woofer. Then moved to Rotel RSP 1069 (bit of downgrade but wanted a pre pro) along with Rotel RMB 1075. The sound was very energetic but fatiguing to me.
I had sold off the entire set up as I could not figure out which one was out of sync. A friend who bought my Rotel Gear (he had CM7) felt shrillness and he changed the speakers to the Dynaudio Excite X36. Rotel work pretty good with Dynaudio and I enjoy his SQ at his home.

As mentioned in my previous post, I am not trying to undermine the quality of the CM9 speakers but there is so much more available at the price range especially given the compromise one has to make with the metal tweeter.

If you want to consider CM9s ONLY, then I would suggest the Arcam AVR600. It has the kind of nice warmth which goes pretty well with CM9s, IMO.
I have the Marantz SR6006 which is a great AVR at the price and yes it is a good idea, if budget permits, to add a power amp.

I have not heard Emotiva but from what I read, you will hear the CM9s in treble more which is not my cup of tea but it might work for you.

Please hear CM9 with just Marantz SR6006 (DO NOT BUY) just get an audition and post your views.

I am only providing my individual experience here but as you know everybody listens differently.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back