B&W 683 - What is the fair price?

anm

Hi,
This article says it should cost 71k - The Hindu : Metro Plus Delhi / Wired In : Sound of music B&W 683

However, at a dealer, the price quoted was 105k (or 1.05L).
I wonder why would "The Hindu" quote ridiculously low amount? I suspect that the dealer is overcharging. Is that suspicion correct?

Sidetrack -
I auditioned 684 and 683. I like 683 because of its deeper bass, but more important - it's looks.
I am definitely not the best person to audition and review speakers - I do not find much of a difference between most speakers (maybe I have not heard them all together, maybe I am placing too much emphasis on visuals).

I have till now heard JBL L890, ES100 (I found ES100 very good at bass, but less clear than L890). However, I think the cost of L890 is insanely high compared to what it is selling at in the US.

I have also heard some Mordaunt Short speakers yesterday (could not do much of an audition) but was just listening to it when someone else was auditioning it - I was in a hurry and waited for an hour or so and then walked out. I think they were producing very clean sound. Not sure if they would have enough power for a big room. Looks wise, I prefer TALL HUGE floor standers instead of those small Mordaunts.

Looking forward to audition Dali, Monitor Audio, Boston etc.

Just another example of a journalist not making the effort to conduct sufficient research. It sounds like the UK GBP price was converted to rupees. Possibly after browsing the web for dealers -- alarmingly this sort of armchair journalism is catching on.

What Mordaunt Shorts did you hear? If the Avants then bear in mind that they are excellent for their price point but are entry-level speakers (10 - 30k for the range). If the Mezzos, then you can do better for the money.

Last edited:
Tried contacting The Hindu, but email bounced back from their vsnl account.
I think they were Avant - 908 was the model number.
What is wrong with mezzos? I don't know what they are but just curious.

regards

Hi anm,
Dont know whats the fair price but they are very average speakers and u could do better than the 683 if u are in that price bracket. Speakers are a personal preference but in my opinion the Dali s or the MA s should be a better presentation.
I am a total B&W fan but these boxes are not great in any way.
Regards

Can you please tell me which ones, along with rough estimate of cost?
I would prefer something within 40k for 2 front speakers - but can go upto 75k if I am getting some really great speaker. I know my ears should be the best judge, but my ears are not yet that trained (but sure they will get trained down the line, and then I don't want to regret).
I strongly believe that I can get some very good speakers for 40-50k and need to filter out overpriced but not so good (for that price) items.

regards

Hi anm,
Dont know whats the fair price but they are very average speakers and u could do better than the 683 if u are in that price bracket. Speakers are a personal preference but in my opinion the Dali s or the MA s should be a better presentation.
I am a total B&W fan but these boxes are not great in any way.
Regards

Hi,
Try Dynaudio 52 @ 55K, MA RS 1 and MA RS 6@ 58K, Dali Ikon 6 @ 70 K.
Prices are approximate but all these are good speakers with different signatures and u should at least hear them before u decide on the B&W s. BTW these B&W s are all made in china.
Regards

I'd throw in the Quad 22L and the JM Labs/Focals if you are willing to put down about 75k - 80K. The Quads are not huge but are very good at detailing. I believe the JM Labs/Focal might be what you are looking for if you are thinking "big" floor standers.

where in delhi?

I'd throw in the Quad 22L and the JM Labs/Focals if you are willing to put down about 75k - 80K. The Quads are not huge but are very good at detailing. I believe the JM Labs/Focal might be what you are looking for if you are thinking "big" floor standers.

I agree that the 683s are not great speakers. They have good bass, but little else. complex passages get very muddled, voices dont come out very clearly and the staging is not particularly good either. all IMO.

Well I completely agree with Dinyaar ... As much as possible please try out various brands in your price bracket before you decide to buy one.

Personally I suggest that you have to try the QUAD 22L2 without fail.

Good Luck!!!
Ramesh

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back