B&W 805 Matrix or Thiel CS 1.5/2.4?

Is there a reason you are only looking at these 2 brands? If you are still in Chicago area, I could provide some dealers info where you can listen to additional brands.

Based on what you have mentioend so far, for your listening experiences, room area and setup, I would go for a Thiel. I would call them neutral compared to B&Ws though the latter is also a good choice.

One thing with Thiels, they shine with lots of power - even monoblocks are a good option with Thiels. I have seen some of these go down to 1 ohm impedence when playing deep bass notes.

Also the 1.5 is a fairly older model. I would look at 2.3 or a 3.5 at a minimum. These are a much bigger upgrade over the 1.5s.

I would add atleast a 200 watts amp to get the best out of them.

Thanks, marsilians. I only looked at these two brands because the dealer had them. It would be great if you could point me to some other dealers in the Chicago area.

Are you thinking of getting all this stuff back to India whenever you come back (2 years?)

If yes, then you have to buy electronics which can work with our voltage and speakers which are easy to transport

what marsillans is suggesting is very valid...

but the bigger Thiels also need a very longish room. when i had my Thiel 2.4's i found the best listening position to be at least 12-14 feet away from them.

the 2.4's and 3.7's are very very good if you have big & long rooms. otherwise you won't ever be happy.

the matrix series of B&W were (are still) among the most balanced & transparent speakers ever made.

they will show you how good or bad the amplification/source/and recording is!

I currently use a B&W 801 Matrix S3. a very large speaker and i have not yet met a speaker that can do the things it can do!

traditionally, the B&W pairs best with Jeff Rowland, Pass, Levinson & Krell amps. they sings pretty good with Bryston as well.

My suggestion is that if the Rowland, Pass, Levinson or krell are outta your budget, look at a Bryston 3BSST or Bryston 3 BSST2. they have adequeate power for the 805.

and these amps are transparent and detailed. the newer 3 BSST2 has wonderful mid range too!
also, they don't add up on your electricity bills like the class a amps!

Since the Bryston is canadian, you'll get a better deal on them in the US. Also, when you need to sell them 2 years later, you'll get a good deal for them.

once you're back here, you can buy a 230v amp over here! Just carry back your speakers!
just my 2 bits!

Hello,
I am a new member & visiting Chicago by this month end. Is it possible for us to meet. I am really trying hard to find a B&W pair for my ROTEL-1058.

Could you please help me in finding a good dealer ??? Or do you got any used B&W used pairs?? I will pick those buddy

Hello,
I am a new member & visiting Chicago by this month end. Is it possible for us to meet. I am really trying hard to find a B&W pair for my ROTEL-1058.

Could you please help me in finding a good dealer ??? Or do you got any used B&W used pairs?? I will pick those buddy

Hi VijayKarthik,

I'm not very knowledgeable about Chicago myself, but I can point you to Audio Consultants. They have a few branches in Chicagoland area and are supposed to be the oldest B&W dealers in the US. I auditioned with them in their Evanston outlet and was quite happy with the way they treated me.

They also usually have a few used B&W speakers on sale. You can see their list of used products and prices here.

In my case, I had to delay my purchase by a few days and tragically, the piece I was interested in slipped away. I still need to setup my system and I have been postponing the audio component purchase due to financial reasons.

All the best.

whatever you do make sure you get the right amp for the speakers (on the used market - audiogon, ebay etc - you can find a quality one for around $600 to $1000). without the right pairing, you will wind up losing out on the speakers potential. do the research - reading as well as practical listening. also check out amps by naim, musical fidelity, creek, mcintosh etc. avoid mid-fi like rotel, nad etc.

Last edited:
My recommendation would be buy a M805. These are good if you have a sweet listing spot say around 8 ~ 10 ft from the speakers. As Malavi has rightly pointed out that these speakers reveal a lot of details.

I do own a pair of M805, they are bi-amped with Quad pre+power amps. The downside of these are, as they tend to revel a lot of information, your entire chain should be strong enough, the source quality has to be equally good. It is also dependent on how do you place your speakers in the room.

Try and audition few audiophile recording on these speakers and feel the difference.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back