BACCH4MAC stereo purifier

If you use JRiver/Foobar, download this VST plugin [14 day trial] developed by the same Dr.Choueiri of BACCH4Mac and try it out. Of course, it doesn't give you all the bells and whistles of the BACCH4Mac but you will get an idea of what to expect.

I believe the sound engineers do the mixing/mastering/whatever other wizardry to get a nice soundstage on my stereo system, and not necessarily to replicate the position of the various sounds (voices and instruments) in the original. What does that even mean anyway? In a studio recording it doesn’t matter who stands where, in fact some pieces might be recorded at a different time and space than others and then put together. Even for live performances, in most cases they are amplified, and even the live audience listens through the loudspeakers (however they are positioned) and not the actually spatial arrangement of the players on the stage.

I had attended Dr. Choueiri's session at Munich 2017 and it was amazing. The odd thing about this is that listeners have to position themselves one behind the other to get the acoustic effect of the system. Not sure if they have done something about it since.

But this really does work. In the demo session I attended, the system was a very decent (but not great by Munich standards) Focal Sopra floor standers driven by Naim electronics. Without the Bacch system, the sound emanated from the usual sound stage between the speakers. The moment the Bacch system was turned on, there was an instrument that materialized out of thin air about 15ft to our left, way beyond the speakers, with the rest of the music similarly spaced out in space but not as pronounced. It was the closest thing I have ever experienced to the mythical 3D soundstage.

Will share pictures of this session when I can later. Not sure if I have a video.

Yes, a close friend also visited the Munich 2017 show and was so impressed, he bought the system.
He has it & uses it in Mumbai.

A key requirement for good 3D soundstage is to remove / minimise side wall reflections.

The Munich demo did this by utilising a Huge room, but placing the system in a much smaller, central portion of the room.
The original system came with a room calibration mic and I think a camera that tracks the listner's head.

Serious tech.

Baach is a more robust development from Ambiophonics using RACE (Recursive Ambiophonics Crosstalk Elimination) developed decades back by Ralph Glasgal. It too gives this amazing soubdstage but with a narrower sweet spot. Best with binaural recordings. Ambiophonic plugins are available for popular media players including foobar, JRiver,, Nuetron player etc.

If you use JRiver/Foobar, download this VST plugin [14 day trial] developed by the same Dr.Choueiri of BACCH4Mac and try it out. Of course, it doesn't give you all the bells and whistles of the BACCH4Mac but you will get an idea of what to expect.
Wow -$1K for the plugin :) But whatever little I have read online till now - does sound interesting.

Had to dig a little but found these photos from Munich 2017 of the Bacch Demo.

View attachment 82453

View attachment 82454
Imagine inviting friends over and making them sit like that. 😁

But yes, I understand this is a concept and might get eventually developed into product that can have more mainstream application. Personally I don’t value Spatial Audio much (no HT till date), but a lot of listeners do.

A key requirement for good 3D soundstage is to remove / minimise side wall reflections.
Interesting!

Awesome Keith.. Let me try it out...

Had to dig a little but found these photos from Munich 2017 of the Bacch Demo.

View attachment 82453

View attachment 82454

This is a big massive room with a lot of acoustic treatment. The system and the listeners are in the centre of a very big room. Even without the BACCH, the system would have sounded excellent ... A real living room would give us a much better picture of how good the system is...

Its like playing a solo piano piece of music to demo a hifi system... Every system will make it sound good...

Imagine inviting friends over and making them sit like that. 😁

But yes, I understand this is a concept and might get eventually developed into product that can have more mainstream application. Personally I don’t value Spatial Audio much (no HT till date), but a lot of listeners do.

This was almost 5 years ago. I am sure there has been some progress made since.
However, many setups have a dedicated listening position for which this can be fine tuned.

It's a very interesting concept. Like I said earlier, it is the closest I have heard to a 3D soundstage.

This is a big massive room with a lot of acoustic treatment. The system and the listeners are in the centre of a very big room. Even without the BACCH, the system would have sounded excellent ... A real living room would give us a much better picture of how good the system is...

Its like playing a solo piano piece of music to demo a hifi system... Every system will make it sound good...

In reality this would have been a challenging room. But the demo was not about sound.
The Bacch system is about creating a 3D soundstage with holographic instrument placement.

In any case, my point was only to address the skepticism about the concept. It's spooky to experience the first time.

That IS a typical living room for their typical target customers! :p

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back