Bada Amplifiers

there are quite a few hydrid amplifiers around the market. whats interesting is that the bada 3.8 come with 80 watts pure class A amplification. normally clas s A amplification is limited to approx 20 watts

In class A the amp dissipates about 3 x times the heat of continuous rated power output whether music is playing or not. In fact it dissipates more when there is no input signal, having said that with a 80W class A, that translates to 240 W of heat. I am pretty confident (from the photo) that 3.8 does not have this kind of a conventional heatsink. 240W of heat is a lot and very very few amps can do this. If it has a fan internally to help in cooling then its a different matter (most amps dont have this due to fan noise). even with a fan, I doubt the heatsink has that capability. Take a look at the classic Aleph 3 from Pass labs, look at the heatsinks, this is a classic example of what type of heatsinks a Class A requires

cheers

there are quite a few hydrid amplifiers around the market. whats interesting is that the bada 3.8 come with 80 watts pure class A amplification. normally clas s A amplification is limited to approx 20 watts

In class A the amp dissipates about 3 x times the heat of continuous rated power output whether music is playing or not. In fact it dissipates more when there is no input signal, having said that with a 80W class A, that translates to 240 W of heat. I am pretty confident (from the photo) that 3.8 does not have this kind of a conventional heatsink. 240W of heat is a lot and very very few amps can do this. If it has a fan internally to help in cooling then its a different matter (most amps dont have this due to fan noise). even with a fan, I doubt the heatsink has that capability. Take a look at the classic Aleph 3 from Pass labs, look at the heatsinks, this is a classic example of what type of heatsinks a Class A requires

cheers

thats what amazes me. at 80w it switches over to class AB and goes up to 138w. i've read on a forum from someone that uses it - he says it beats most amps in the 5k usd range. and have checked a few other chinese amps as well. its pretty common for their 'audiophile' amps to do 80w pure class A from their specs. these amps are pretty heavy though - come in at 90lbs or so

Back