Basic Question on a home theatre

amittank

Hi Members,

I have a very basic question. I have a LG home theatre (7.1) that plays DVD and VCD, now I want to upgrade it to a blue ray disc player (BD Player). Can I use the BD player to output sound via the home theatre speakers?

If your LG HT has a digital input (coaxial/optical) then BD Player can be used. Just make sure that the bdp and the HT have the same type of digital connection. HD audio is not possible through coaxial/optical. You need HDMI for that.

Last edited:
Otherwise if the LG HT (not sure what model) support Audio Return then from BDP to TV directly HDMI connection and then from TV to HT the audio passthrough using Audio Return Channel. This is another route although I am not sure if the HT has HDMI.

Otherwise if the LG HT (not sure what model) support Audio Return then from BDP to TV directly HDMI connection and then from TV to HT the audio passthrough using Audio Return Channel. This is another route although I am not sure if the HT has HDMI.

The HT has HDMI output, will that work?

Hi Members,

I have a very basic question. I have a LG home theatre (7.1) that plays DVD and VCD, now I want to upgrade it to a blue ray disc player (BD Player). Can I use the BD player to output sound via the home theatre speakers?

Here is how you need to hook it up:

Bluray - LG HT - TV (all via HDMI)

I would recommend not to do that.
In most of the these kind of systems HDMI out is only for video without HD output. Since the LG player output is non-HD, connecting bluray will kill the HD signal.
Insted of this buy a AVR and connect DVD-Bluray-Speakers to it.

Does your LG HT has any digital input connection facility? If yes, then that should be used to connect your external BD player.

I think your HT has USB connectivity and I feel that can be used to play Blue ray through a long route...I am not clear about the path yet as I was never much interested in Blu Ray. You can have a blu ray file in your flash drive and connect it in your HT to play the movie.

My LG HT doesn't have HDMI input, it has HDMI output. How will it work?

The link to the manual is at LG Product Support for HT502SH

Just had a look at the manual, this is what you need to do:

VIDEO
1. Blueray > TV : HDMI
2. HT > TV : Component Video (Monitor Out)...........in case you want to connect other video sources in the future to the HT.

AUDIO
1. Blueray Optical out > HT Optical in : Optical

Above would give you 5.1 audio from your speakers via the HT system and will also direct all video content played on bluray to the tv.

It is HT502

where is HDMI out as suggested by you. I dont see it in the PDF manual you have shared .... anyway, you can connect BD player, but you have to take two seperate routes ...

From BD Player optical out ==== > to optical in of LG HT :: This would provide 5.1 audio (on DD and DTS)

From BD player HDMI out ======> to HDMI in of your TV :: This would provide 1080p content to your display (provided display supports it)

mute TV spks as you will get the audio via HDMI as well (you only need it for video)

try this and report

PS :: I just noticed aakshr has also suggested the same ......

Just had a look at the manual, this is what you need to do:

VIDEO
1. Blueray > TV : HDMI
2. HT > TV : Component Video (Monitor Out)...........in case you want to connect other video sources in the future to the HT.

AUDIO
1. Blueray Optical out > HT Optical in : Optical

Above would give you 5.1 audio from your speakers via the HT system and will also direct all video content played on bluray to the tv.

Thanks For the suggestion, I will try that out.

where is HDMI out as suggested by you. I dont see it in the PDF manual you have shared .... anyway, you can connect BD player, but you have to take two seperate routes ...

From BD Player optical out ==== > to optical in of LG HT :: This would provide 5.1 audio (on DD and DTS)

From BD player HDMI out ======> to HDMI in of your TV :: This would provide 1080p content to your display (provided display supports it)

mute TV spks as you will get the audio via HDMI as well (you only need it for video)

try this and report

PS :: I just noticed aakshr has also suggested the same ......

Thanks For the suggestion, I will try that out.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back