Bass EQ (BEQ ) with minidsp

RajithKumar

I'm just starting the thread for Bass EQ filters which can be used to recover filtered bass that was filtered from Movie tracks.
Ofcourse it's a rare topic here in our Country but in abroad forums it is quite popular among AV enthusiast .
I hope members who already experienced/ using it can chip in to write more information on this.
This thread can be referred by our members to make benefit out of it .

I'm tagging @rainbowsong2000 who have already started using it and @liverpool_for_life to start with useful information.
Cheers!!!;)

Anyone wants to start, initiate from here

Thanks, Rajith. By all accounts, BEQ is a game-changer. Can't wait to give it a go!

I have a minidsp 2*4HD as well as a Raspberry Pi 4 device (https://www.fabtolab.com/raspberry-pi-4-computer-model-b-quad-core-cortex-A72-BCM2711) on order to be able to use ezBEQ. This allows one to apply the BEQ filters without having a PC tethered to the minidsp or without needing the minidsp Wi-DG for wireless access to the minidsp.

I'm just starting the thread for Bass EQ filters which can be used to recover filtered bass that was filtered from Movie tracks.
Ofcourse it's a rare topic here in our Country but in abroad forums it is quite popular among AV enthusiast .
I hope members who already experienced/ using it can chip in to write more information on this.
This thread can be referred by our members to make benefit out of it .

I'm tagging @rainbowsong2000 who have already started using it and @liverpool_for_life to start with useful information.
Cheers!!!;)
Have tried BEQ for couple of Netflix Movies and it worked well :)

Thanks, Rajith. By all accounts, BEQ is a game-changer. Can't wait to give it a go!

I have a minidsp 2*4HD as well as a Raspberry Pi 4 device (https://www.fabtolab.com/raspberry-pi-4-computer-model-b-quad-core-cortex-A72-BCM2711) on order to be able to use ezBEQ. This allows one to apply the BEQ filters without having a PC tethered to the minidsp or without needing the minidsp Wi-DG for wireless access to the minidsp.
That will make the process much simpler I believe.

Thanks @liverpool_for_life and @RajithKumar for giving the assignment of exploring the BEQ :D.

So, i tried to explore the BEQ filtered movies with my minidsp 2x4HD and with a laptop. Watched few scenes of Johnwick 3 and Godzilla Vs Kingkong.

It was mind blowing!!!!

Please try out by following the instructions given in the below link.

Also, happy to assist with my small knowledge.

Not actually fond of excessive <40Hz but if your system has low output in this region and can stand the boost it could be impressive for the uninitiated. Whoever does this be careful about the boost your applying and where.

Not actually fond of excessive <40Hz but if your system has low output in this region and can stand the boost it could be impressive for the uninitiated. Whoever does this be careful about the boost your applying and where.
Just takes one close to some tactile response :D

Tactile response is more about your furniture than the frequency. You just need something that will resonate/vibrate at a given frequency, the frequency doesn't have to be below 20Hz. You do get different types of tactile response at different frequencies though. IMO something which is hollow inside will give the strongest tactile response.

Tactile response is more about your furniture than the frequency. You just need something that will resonate/vibrate at a given frequency, the frequency doesn't have to be below 20Hz. You do get different types of tactile response at different frequencies though. IMO something which is hollow inside will give the strongest tactile response.
Sudden bass rush which is felt in body, Chest slam or even the movement air pressure you feel sometime also gives a good adrenaline thrust :)

i am about to purchase mini dsp non hd version to set hpf filter for my diy sub . since bass eq is only supported in minidsp hd, i am confused, is bass eq really worth the extra price for mini dsp hd .
IMO If ur subs are capable atleast 20hz ,then Bass EQ will be good I guess.
If u planning for it then better get minidsp 2x4HD version

Received the Raspberry Pi 4 device yesterday. In conjunction with the minidsp 2*4HD, I'm now set for ezBEQ. No more walking up to the minidsp, tethering PC to it, connecting via the minidsp plugin and uploading filters using the BEQDesigner app. None of that. Access the ezbeq web interface from your laptop or mobile device from the comfort of your seat. Then, through that interface, switch to the minidsp config slot of your choice, search for your title, upload the BEQ filters to the minidsp and enjoy!

ezBEQ.png

Received the Raspberry Pi 4 device yesterday. In conjunction with the minidsp 2*4HD, I'm now set for ezBEQ. No more walking up to the minidsp, tethering PC to it, connecting via the minidsp plugin and uploading filters using the BEQDesigner app. None of that. Access the ezbeq web interface from your laptop or mobile device from the comfort of your seat. Then, through that interface, switch to the minidsp config slot of your choice, search for your title, upload the BEQ filters to the minidsp and enjoy!

View attachment 59388
Have no clue what raspberry is. Can you share the link to the device? And also can you change the configuration slot ?

Can you share the link to the device?

Linked here earlier in this thread. This is overkill if you're only planning on running ezbeq on the Pi device. There's a fella on AVS who has reported being able to run this on a Pi Zero with 512M.

And also can you change the configuration slot ?

Yes.

Linked here earlier in this thread. This is overkill if you're only planning on running ezbeq on the Pi device. There's a fella on AVS who has reported being able to run this on a Pi Zero with 512M.

Yes.
Ok I don’t intend to get it. Just curious what the device is and the name of the device is catchy

View attachment 59388
If Possible , please post the pre and post response of some movie scenes with time stamp .

If Possible , please post the pre and post response of some movie scenes with time stamp .
The spectrogram i.e. heat map (left side with BEQ, right without) should give you a reasonable idea of the differences.

For e.g.: https://beqcatalogue.readthedocs.io/en/latest/aron7awol/56743108/ (10 Cloverfield Lane), the spectrogram suggests that you should hear a real difference between BEQ vs not at 5 minutes into the movie.
Ok I don’t intend to get it.
I'd have thought you'd be interested, given the lengths you've gone to try and get the bass you crave.
Just curious what the device is and the name of the device is catchy
Not too bad in the looks department either.
raspberry_pi_4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back