bass reflex speaker help!!

Hi,
Yes exactly as Dr. Chandu said.
Am not familiar with ur speaker but its a vented box design so when u insert a sponge/foam bung into the rear port u are altering(read lowering) the bass frequencies. Am surprised they are not supplied. Call ur distributor and tell him ur space constraint and whether Jamo has bungs as an optional or else u will have to cut them out from a thick sheet of sponge. (Please dont shove them very deep into the port so u cant remove them!!!!!)
Insane 79 how much space can u leave behind the speaker? 2 inches is too little but 10 to 12 inches may suffice. Experiment and see if u hit a good balance as closing the rear port may make the speaker sound different and u may not like the sound.
If u are in mumbai i could give u foam bungs of different sizes as all B&W s are supplied with them and i have bungs from all my earlier speakers!!!
Regards
hi,
check ur PM, its regarding the bungs:confused:

an update on the scene-

I spoke to one of the main engineers at jamo, they said no to use bungs(port plugs) as these speakers are not designed to be used with sealed enclosure, they said it will sound terrible & affect the overall output, since i am tied up on space( bassreflex port 2 inches away from the wall) he told me to lower the bass out of the front tower speakers from the yamaha receiver, he said that should do the trick & pump up the sub abit, i told him if i set the speakers to small will it make a differece, he said NO as these are 3way speakers & the mid range will also use the reflex port when bass is fed to it so lowering the bass is the only solution he says :confused: he said if u use bungs it might affect ur warranty :rolleyes: i m thinkin of just leaving them 2 inches away from the wall & lowering the bass abit:( any more suggestion from ur'll would be appreciated..
thanks...

Hi,
Having a rear ported speaker 2 inches away from the rear wall is a NO-NO and apart from lowering the bass on your receiver OR using foam bungs i cant think of another way out.
I did not know the Jamo speaker was so delicate that the use of a foam bung will violate the warranty!!!!!!!!!!
RGDS

Hi,

The Jamo engineer is absolutely right in not suggesting the port plugs. Usually these plugs are provided with ported subwoofers to listen to music since they cut short the frequency responses rather abruptly - which is what you want for music. However for HT it is the opposite where you want extended LFE effects.

Your speakers are too close to the wall irrespective of if you had the rear ports or not. This is because the sound waves emanating from them reflect off the walls and interact with the onwards waves thus causing a fair bit of sound discoloration.

One rule of thumb for speaker placements esp. floorstanders is 6 - 7 ft apart and 2 - 4 feet away from the sides as well as the back and "toe'd in" meaning slightly angled towards you so that you and the speakers form the angles in an approximate equilateral triange with them facing you.

If you placed them straight then the most critical sound waves will pass you due to dispersion. (I know its lots of physics terms but you dont have to worry about these once you placed them the first time).

If you absolutely don't have space, then atleast bring them forward by a foot or if you cannot do that even, put very very thick drapes on the back of these to not reflect the noise as much. walls and floors are very good reflectors and its not a good thing in this case.

A good way of speaker placement is to try with the 2 extremes - closest to the walls and farthest from them. you will get varying experiences then move them 3 - 6 inches between the extremes at once and listening.

THis requires a bit of patience but its a cheap, fun filled exercise :) YOu will then realize the sweet spot where they should be. And remember 2 things at all times

* angles of equilateral triangle
* Use the same movie or song sequence for all tests.

One 2 others counts the dealer is BS'ing you.

* If you set the speakers to small, then you actually give up a lot of LFE to the sub as the speakers cross over will be placed at a higher value (low cross over = boomier bass). Thsi is an option for you to try. And you can lower the bass on the sub in addition separately if it sounds boomy

* There will (and should) not be any loss of warranty. Ask him to show this in a documentation or ask to speak to his boss or you can ask him to post on this forum for a change. We will take it from there.

an update on the scene-

I spoke to one of the main engineers at jamo, they said no to use bungs(port plugs) as these speakers are not designed to be used with sealed enclosure, they said it will sound terrible & affect the overall output, since i am tied up on space( bassreflex port 2 inches away from the wall) he told me to lower the bass out of the front tower speakers from the yamaha receiver, he said that should do the trick & pump up the sub abit, i told him if i set the speakers to small will it make a differece, he said NO as these are 3way speakers & the mid range will also use the reflex port when bass is fed to it so lowering the bass is the only solution he says :confused: he said if u use bungs it might affect ur warranty :rolleyes: i m thinkin of just leaving them 2 inches away from the wall & lowering the bass abit:( any more suggestion from ur'll would be appreciated..
thanks...

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back