Beginner audiophile headphones (Open back)

siddy

Hi guys, I'm looking for good beginner audiophile headphones, preferably Open back. I have the following options - can you please let me know your feedback or suggest alternates?
  • Sennheiser HD 599: So far, I'm leaning towards these as they have the best reviews and the SE edition is usually at a discount on Amazon, regular edition is currently 14999
  • Sennheiser HD 579: 11999 on Amazon. Has anyone tried these or compared the with the 599s? Some reviews online seemed to suggest that there is very little difference in the sound and some even preferred the neutral/less bass-y sound of the 579s
  • Beyerdynamic 990T Pro: 13999 on HeadphoneZone. I originally wanted to get these, but I see that they really need an amp to work well and I don't have the budget to get a good amp
  • Grado SR80E (currently sold out): Has anyone tried these? Some say it's too "bright"
Lastly, if I can't find a good Open back, I might go for the usual Audio Technica M50X (how does the sound compare to the above models?). I know the best way to decide is to get into a shop and try them, but with the ongoing Covid crisis I don't know if I'll be able to do that for a long time.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I'm looking for good beginner audiophile headphones, preferably Open back. I have the following options - can you please let me know your feedback or suggest alternates?
  • Sennheiser HD 599: So far, I'm leaning towards these as they have the best reviews and the SE edition is usually at a discount on Amazon, regular edition is currently 14999
  • Sennheiser HD 579: 11999 on Amazon. Has anyone tried these or compared the with the 599s? Some reviews online seemed to suggest that there is very little difference in the sound and some even preferred the neutral/less bass-y sound of the 579s
  • Beyerdynamic 990T Pro: 13999 on HeadphoneZone. I originally wanted to get these, but I see that they really need an amp to work well and I don't have the budget to get a good amp
  • Grado SR80E (currently sold out): Has anyone tried these? Some say it's too "bright"
Lastly, if I can't find a good Open back, I might go for the usual Audio Technica M50X (how does the sound compare to the above models?). I know the best way to decide is to get into a shop and try them, but with the ongoing Covid crisis I don't know if I'll be able to do that for a long time.

Thanks in advance!
I have tried the Sennheisers, and they are nice :) but I was more pleased with Koss porta Pro for their laid back and warm sound (they are really cheap and they have a retro look). I know that’s not what you have asked for, but just sharing my thoughts :)

Thanks in advance!
Have one for sale with me Sennheiser hd599se in brand new condition if interested pm me

Thanks in advance!

Head over to Rtings for measurements.

Hi Siddy,
in case you decide to widen your list/search, look for Meze 99 classics. Comfortable, non fatiguing and enjoyable sound.

Out of the list you have mentioned, dt 990 is the one which sounds most open. It’s not a neutral sound, but it’s the one which lets you have the “open back” feel more than the others. Also they are very comfortable.
if you don’t have an amp get the 32 ohm version.

Skip the grado unless you listen to lot of rock and roll music. I had a SR80i and did not prefer the sound signature for other genres. I have tried the HD598 which were good but did not have a very engaging sound. The Beyerdynamic 990 Pro have been preferred by many at this budget , other alternatives at this budget would be
i) Ultrasone Performance 820 (has got good user reviews) - Closed back
ii) Hifiman HE 4XX
iii) Meze 99 Classics - Closed back
iv) Sennheiser HD6XX

If you are open to buying used stuff , you can put a WTB request in the Wanted thread here and also join Pre Loved Gear For Sale group in FB and you will come across nice deals for different gears.

Thanks for all the info guys! I actually found a good deal on a barely used Senn HD 599 so am gonna go for that one for now but want to continue looking for another set with a different sound signature (I've grown quite comfortable with Sennheiser over the past several years, so need to venture out into something new as well) :D

I see that the Hifiman HE 4XX is listed at $169 on the drop website, but I assume with customs and shipping it'll go into the $200+ territory.
I was really interested in the DT 990 as well, but I couldn't find the 32 Ohm version available anywhere, perhaps will post a request as fLUX suggested and see how that goes :)

Also, are the 6XX a big step up from the 599, sound wise? Will keep an eye out for them in the future,

Don't know about 599 vs 6XX. However, 6XX is 300 ohm impedance cans, so to bring the best out of them you'll definitely need a good amp.

58X jubilee is the cheaper alternative to 6XX and is more value for money. It's 150 ohm impedance with sensitivity of 104db, so can be just managed without an amp, though you'll eventually end up with an amp! :)

Thanks for all the info guys! I actually found a good deal on a barely used Senn HD 599 so am gonna go for that one for now but want to continue looking for another set with a different sound signature (I've grown quite comfortable with Sennheiser over the past several years, so need to venture out into something new as well) :D

I see that the Hifiman HE 4XX is listed at $169 on the drop website, but I assume with customs and shipping it'll go into the $200+ territory.
I was really interested in the DT 990 as well, but I couldn't find the 32 Ohm version available anywhere, perhaps will post a request as fLUX suggested and see how that goes :)

Also, are the 6XX a big step up from the 599, sound wise? Will keep an eye out for them in the future,

HD 6XX are quiet a step up over 599 but the problem is that they are not easily driveable. They are known to scale phenomenaly with better amps, but at a minimum you will need to buy a Aune B1S/JDS Labs Atom/Schitt Amp to spot the difference. If you are looking to buy a complementing set would suggest you to join the PLGS group, there are numerous enthusiasts (not dealers) selling and buying stuff.

I personally prefer planar headphones (Hifiman series) over Sennheiser HD6XX and they are both complementary.

Last edited:
looking at your choices, I am guessing you are looking at something sub 15K.
Beyerdynamic go for the 32ohm version if you dont have an amp
Sennheiser 599 are very good indeed.
ATH M50x is not a bad choice either but they are not neutral at all and aren't open back either. One thing like about them is that you can buy a fiio BT adapter with them for convenience, allows you to have them on BT when you want to go to the loo for example or quarantine cooking ;). They do everything decent, not great but decent.
Meze 99 and LCD 1 perhaps out of your budget - but maybe.

I have both Sennheiser HD598 and Audio Technica 50X. Both are great.

Comfort - Sennheiser open back. Nice cushions and lighter on the head. AT is not bad, but little uncomfortable and tighter.

Sound - both are different. Sennheiser is open and wide. AT is closed and tight.

I personally prefer Sennheiser HD598 over AT 50X

I bought both from Amazon several months back

swami

When I die I will still have hd600 on my head. Nothing else! Exceptional mid range, tonality and timbre. Its like they were created just for me. Sound signature customised for me.

The Senn 598/99 are fantastic starter HPs ( I still have the beige 598 bought almost 10 years ago ). The m50x is a versatile phone , underrated .. if you don’t want to disturb others then this is the better choice ( ideal for office listening)

Thanks in advance!
I have had the Grado SR60e , 90% similar to 80. Grado is perfect for Rock, guitars sound the best. Grados sound amazing but are uncomfortable because of the pads and the headband, leak a lot of sound(even compared to other open backs) and have a very thick and long fixed cable. They work well without an amp. The pads can be changed to L pads which make them much better. If you like rock and you don't move around while listening and lots of sound leakage is not a problem, then you can't really do better than a Grado.

I also own the M50X , these are very balanced sounding, have a removable cable, very practical and sensible choice.

Never used Sennheisers much so can't comment on them.

Also consider AKG K702

Thanks in advance!
I'd say try the Hifiman He400, Deva if you are fine with Planar Magnetic headphones or wait for Sennheisser HD560. If you can buy used or import from Drop, Hd58x, He4xx will be very good choices. The HD600 HD650 and such need a good amp to really do justice to them.

Thanks in advance!
Before buying your first set of audiophile Headphones you need to figure out your sound preference [signature] i.e what kind of frequencies your ears prefer. Unlike speakers Headphone do tend to pick on your ear quite quickly. If possible before investing on cans do audition if its available at your place. your music genre also comes into matter while choosing headphones

i can see your shortlist
sennheisers usually sound warm to dark [lack bass exellent mids almost invisible treble]
beyers are know for their treble meaning bright sounding pair [treble kings]
grados tend to shine at treble and also mids [they are on ear might get fatigue in long sessions]
never go for m50x imho
heres a link to my trusted youtuber DMS this video might help you understand which ones better

If i were you i would get philips shp9600 which is bang for buck
these cans shine on all frequencies they sound very neurtal

Best beginner hp has to be Sundara in planar magnetics and hd 560s, 58x, 600, 650/6xx in dynamic open backs. I wouldn't waste money on anything else. My personal recco would be sundara or hd600. These two are a benchmark in reference sound in what they do

Before buying your first set of audiophile Headphones you need to figure out your sound preference [signature] i.e what kind of frequencies your ears prefer. Unlike speakers Headphone do tend to pick on your ear quite quickly. If possible before investing on cans do audition if its available at your place. your music genre also comes into matter while choosing headphones

i can see your shortlist
sennheisers usually sound warm to dark [lack bass exellent mids almost invisible treble]
beyers are know for their treble meaning bright sounding pair [treble kings]
grados tend to shine at treble and also mids [they are on ear might get fatigue in long sessions]
never go for m50x imho
heres a link to my trusted youtuber DMS this video might help you understand which ones better

If i were you i would get philips shp9600 which is bang for buck
these cans shine on all frequencies they sound very neurtal
I completely agree to bipin about AT headphones.
Though they are great..build quality.. balanced sound... really sucks at comfort.
Just too tight and can't compete with other brands like Beyer,Seinh,etc.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back