Beginners Turn Table

asingh

Hi..

First things first. This is a really really nice portal. I spent the first hour (post registering), just dabbling around reading threads. Really nice and informative.

Now coming to the point...

I am interested to purchase a TT. It would be a beginners TT. Nothing too jazzy, something simple to which I can attach speakers (or would I need an amplifier -- sorry am a noob). At my home town I have like 3-4 large cartons full of well maintained LPs (Hindi/some rock/tons of classical) -- and I sure do not want to sell them off, or give them away.

I would prefer shops in New Delhi / NCR region so I can see the device(s), but am open for online too. Though seeing the tangible product would be much better.

My budget would be 10K for comfort, but I can stretch it to 15K if the TT really interests me -- in terms of quality and recommendations from you guys.

Also wanted to ask:
Is it possible (or theoretically) to hook up the TT to my PC. Not for analog -- digital transfer, just so that the sound is routed via my PC to the speakers connected to my PC. Would I loose quality/grain via this method. I have a MSI - Platinum P45 motherboard with Xfire HD4890s for HD audio and the board has a RealTEK 5.1 sound chip. Though this is secondary. And a wish list requirement. Priority is to procure a TT and get decent sound out of it.

Thanks a ton to all.

Anil Singh

Hi Anil,
welcome to the forum. Please have a look at the section phono turntable . This topic has been discussed at length over there in various threads. Please go through them. Also tell us what is the rest of your chain. Do you have a separate speaker and amplifier or you are planning to play your music through computer.
Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. Will go through threads. Sure. I would probably play it via my computer, but also the AMP+discrete speaker option is open.

Welcome to the forum Anil.
About your quest for a TT you can look for models from Denon : for model details and prices please look here: Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions

You would need an amplifier with Phono input to connect the TT and then from that amplifier you connect your speakers.

Also about connecting your TT with your PC, yes its possible to do it by a simple RCA to Stereo cable but the output won't be good.

Mr. A sing.

For tt pl try on ebay.in search for turntable. M/s turntable essentials from delhi regularly offers new tt. As on today they are offering - audio technica with usb rs 37950 / grace with usb rs 22950 / pyle pro rs 19950 / ion with direct cd recording rs 37950 / ion with usb rs 18950/ mtt rs 13950. You may try if this is within your budget. I think with these tt you can directly record to your pc without a pre-amplifier pl check with this party or you may buy the pre-amplifier latter after trying to record on pc.

For recording to pc from old models of tt you may need a pre-amplifier which is also available with this party. I have purchased one such pre-amplifier in last month.

Last edited:
Mr. A sing.

For tt pl try on ebay.in search for turntable. M/s turntable essentials from delhi regularly offers new tt. As on today they are offering - audio technica with usb rs 37950 / grace with usb rs 22950 / pyle pro rs 19950 / ion with direct cd recording rs 37950 / ion with usb rs 18950/ mtt rs 13950. You may try if this is within your budget. I think with these tt you can directly record to your pc without a pre-amplifier pl check with this party or you may buy the pre-amplifier latter after trying to record on pc.

For recording to pc from old models of tt you may need a pre-amplifier which is also available with this party. I have purchased one such pre-amplifier in last month.

This guy -compared to us prices seems too expensive!

Singh I need to understand your budget and your acess to US & UK markets!

If you have acess to UK then good discounts going at richer sounds. Esp Pro-Ject Geneie 2 @ GBP 100 or Pro-Ject Debue ii @ GBP 170 are good.

Chk amazon too - In fact @ US$ 550-600( Rs 30000) you gt a DJ favorite Technics SL 1200 MK2 ,the Ebay guy sells Audio Technica for 37 K!!!

Anyway call nova audio ,khar mumbai ,they keep Pro-Ject
NOVA AUDIO PVT. LTD.

Also Boomrang keeps Pro-Ject
Pro-Ject Debut iii is 20 K without Phono Stage and 23-24 K with phono stage.
And you can demo it -Compare this to what turntable essentials is charging!

Of you see most of the USB tts are not rated higly in reviews , so it is better to get tt & sound card for your PC

IMHO, if one wants to venture into the world of Vinyl, one can start with baby steps. By investing in a 5-6k vintage turntable.
A perfectly working Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui, Sony should cost anything between 4-7k.

An avergae Technics TT in good working condition should cost between 7-12k. Depending on the model and condition.

It costs just 1500 to 2k for a phonostage from Norge.

Something like this can be upgarded simply - just invest in better cart+stylus later.

Avoid USB TT's altogether. They are a great gimmick for people who wanna fall for such gimmicks.

A good ole Kenwood, Sansui, Pioneer, Technics can really trounce most entry and mid-level tt's of today. At a fraction of a price! Plus, they give a pretty decent upgrade path! (Like I mentioned earlier, simply switch to better cart later!)

For 10,000, you could get the entry-level turntable from Denon, the DP-29F from PROFX, Authorized Denon dealers all over India. And as previously noted, the Denon turntables have in-built phono pre-amp. You simply need to connect them to an auxiliary (line-level) input.

Check out this link.

If used tt is acceptable pl try ebay.in for philips 242 with spkr, cassette deck and amplifier at rs 5000 start bid or rs 15000 buy it now. Also try pune.quikr.com for garrard and philips tt also amplifiers and spkrs.

I wouldn't pay anything more than Rs. 3k for a Philips 242 (that too, if it has a working cart and needle...)

and yes a entry level Denon for 10k is a decent deal as well.... But it does not beat some of the older TT's that have been modded and restored.

IMHO a Gerard or a Technics or a Thorens or even a heavier Kenwood or Sansui is a better deal.

If used tt is acceptable pl try ebay.in for philips 242 with spkr, cassette deck and amplifier at rs 5000 start bid or rs 15000 buy it now. Also try pune.quikr.com for garrard and philips tt also amplifiers and spkrs.

15000 -that too 20+ year old mass market tt? That to pay without checking :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
-Then 10 K for DEnon is fantastic buy,brand new with warentee and cartridge!

Amp with these TT used to be trash around 15 W rms/ch.

Anyway not able to trace ebay is listing ,so either noone is buying or he must have found some sucker!!

17k will get you a brand new Project Genie 1.3 with an ortofon OM-5 SE cart. A friend just purchased it today. I don't think it can be beat in performance for that price.

contact abhishek biswas of audio dynamics in bangalore he is the authorised dealer for project turn tables jn bangalore
ph; 08040902147
mob; 9845881387

there is one technics sld 303 available for 9k with new classic cart. Is that an ok price? I have heard a couple of hindi movie records on it and it sounded quite nice.

Hi Asingh,
I have Technics TT which I may want to sell. The model number is SL-QL15.
Its in perfect working condition. I bought it just a couple of months back from another audiophile who was moving abroad. Basically I wanted to get into analog playback but somehow it has not happened and I do not think I would get time in near future so no point keeping the TT.

Let me know if you are interested. I am at Bangalore.

there is one technics sld 303 available for 9k with new classic cart. Is that an ok price? I have heard a couple of hindi movie records on it and it sounded quite nice.

well I have one too.. lying somewhere in the house with an old classic cartridge and the following problems

1. At some point a pest control guy sprayed some of his lnsecicide on the acrylic dust cover.. result permanent stains..

2. the original technics headshell is not there.. there is a hitachi headshell. but for all practical purposes, that does not make a difference

3. the auto sensor for 12" records does not work.. so if you start with auto play, it goes onto the poitn where a 7" record starts. - the auto return and repeat works fine. (never tried to get it repaired as it did not affect the performance of the turntable.

4. the model you mention (which I have;) is quite old.. I got it second hand in 1991-92 and it was already some 5-6 years old.

5. the cartridge is barely used.. got it because I could not find a replacement stylus for the audiotechnica that I had earlier. (in anycase, i would reco that you look beyond a classic cartridge, esp since other choices are easily available now)

however, with those caveats, if you are interested, and you can pick it up from thane, (i will insist you audition it first) I can let you have it for 1/3 the price you quote i.e 3k - no nego. i can take the effort to put up photos in the "for sale" segment, if you are really interested.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back