Benefits of a forum like HFV: Make friends, listen and experience varied audio/video gear

, Google decided to spin a googly and suggested I climb over a neighbour's compound wall to get to Analogous. Both times that I reopened the programme and entered the location, I was prompted to climb over a wall. It was clear that this is not how Analogous gets home. I promptly called him to let him know I was nearby, and he helped me find the right place.

Looks like off late Google is inspired by Marvel's "Spiderman"

The unassuming KEF KC62 subwoofer assisted the Harbeths along the way. It perfectly compliments them and gracefully fills in where the Harbeths leave off. There is just enough weight to anchor the mids and the highs; however, they are not intended to be slammed or attacked.

Analogous cranked some reggae, blues, and the likes for the first part. The Croft Line Integrated and the Harbeths received Qobuz through the Auralic Altair G1. My feet started tapping because it was so musical. How could it get any better? Enter MHDT Havana DAC.
Very nicely elaborated Aeroash ! Both you & Analogus seem to have a nice chain of music gear & hence can understand the nuances better.

Thank you for the invite. I am definitely interested. I will get in touch in PM.
You are all welcome to come to my home in Delhi and listen to tube amp and discuss, maybe I can learn and share advice on what type of sound signature they are looking for. Please free to Pm me.

HiFi Rig: Nuprime Omnia + SMSL D300 + Lyrita Audio Dht pre + GM 70 + ASI Liveline power cable + ASI Liveline Reference IC + Isoda Townsend +Totem Rainmaker.
(Sony APM 717 and SB 10 subwoofer (or sale)

I've been meaning to post here for a while, but just couldn't decide if I should thank @coaltrain , or listen to my wife and stop meeting any of "those crazies you talk to on your AV forums"...While I waver between the two emotions, here's my experience.

About 3 years ago, I pleaded with the home minister and managed to corner storage space for my records in the living room. A cupboard was built with the solemn promise that it would last for a lifetime of record collecting. Here's what it looks like right now...

F08B0A63-A572-4868-BA63-72CF0F7ED1A4.jpeg
Either my lifetime of record collecting is nearing it's end, or I need to have my head examined for making daft promises. I decided to tread water for a bit and pay attention to my more modest CD collection. The digital playback chain in my den has languished for a while. Blu-ray player used as transport, this picture should tell you about the players' status in the room.

72F1D394-ADBD-4933-AEB3-9BB482CB9A25.jpeg

After listening to a few CDs and finding "something missing" in the SQ, I started looking at upgrade options. All that money saved on not buying any more records must be spent elsewhere, no?
Coaltrain had recently bought the Audiolab CDT with the Denafrips Ares DAC and was raving about them. So I reached out to him for a listening session at his place. We agreed to compare my Blu-ray player side by side with the dedicated CDT, playing the same cd in both. I picked up a few popular Blue Note jazz albums from my collection for the test - I firmly believe that Don Was refers to Coaltrain's BN collection to decide on the next reissue, he really has them all!

He was a most gracious host - even giving up the focused listening spot on the couch. All eccentricities are forgiven after that supreme sacrifice :)
Wharfedale Lintons with a Primaluna tube amp and now the Audiolab CDT + Denafrips Ares DAC, Coaltrain's music setup has that incredible, intangible "musicality" we strive for years to achieve. While connecting my Sony BDP to the Ares, he commented "this is solidly built! Doesn't look like an entry level BDP"...that got me thinking. I was here to close the decision on dumping the same player!
We played several CDs in pairs one after another, synchronized to the same point on both CDT and BDP. Coaltrain sat on the floor in front of the DAC, hiding input switcher while toggling between both sources, essentially a blind listening test for me. Unbelievably, my Sony BDP (UBP800 is the model number) sounded as good or even marginally better as a transport than the dedicated CDT, every single time! It was neither owner's bias nor the beer going down - we both heard the same parity in SQ.
So my good host saved me 45k on a CDT and gave me new found respect for my Sony Blu-ray player. However that did not fix the underwhelming sound back home, I had to upgrade my DAC! The villain of the piece had revealed himself.
Meet the upgrade, propping up my outgoing DAC.
372ECCA8-DB12-4D44-8878-12BC42167231.jpeg

The difference has been almost night and day. So in summary, Coaltrain saved me a small pot of money on the one hand while smoothly guiding me to spending a truckload on the other.
Thanks....I think!

I've been meaning to post here for a while, but just couldn't decide if I should thank @coaltrain , or listen to my wife and stop meeting any of "those crazies you talk to on your AV forums"...While I waver between the two emotions, here's my experience.

About 3 years ago, I pleaded with the home minister and managed to corner storage space for my records in the living room. A cupboard was built with the solemn promise that it would last for a lifetime of record collecting. Here's what it looks like right now...

View attachment 71953
Either my lifetime of record collecting is nearing it's end, or I need to have my head examined for making daft promises. I decided to tread water for a bit and pay attention to my more modest CD collection. The digital playback chain in my den has languished for a while. Blu-ray player used as transport, this picture should tell you about the players' status in the room.

View attachment 71951

After listening to a few CDs and finding "something missing" in the SQ, I started looking at upgrade options. All that money saved on not buying any more records must be spent elsewhere, no?
Coaltrain had recently bought the Audiolab CDT with the Denafrips Ares DAC and was raving about them. So I reached out to him for a listening session at his place. We agreed to compare my Blu-ray player side by side with the dedicated CDT, playing the same cd in both. I picked up a few popular Blue Note jazz albums from my collection for the test - I firmly believe that Don Was refers to Coaltrain's BN collection to decide on the next reissue, he really has them all!

He was a most gracious host - even giving up the focused listening spot on the couch. All eccentricities are forgiven after that supreme sacrifice :)
Wharfedale Lintons with a Primaluna tube amp and now the Audiolab CDT + Denafrips Ares DAC, Coaltrain's music setup has that incredible, intangible "musicality" we strive for years to achieve. While connecting my Sony BDP to the Ares, he commented "this is solidly built! Doesn't look like an entry level BDP"...that got me thinking. I was here to close the decision on dumping the same player!
We played several CDs in pairs one after another, synchronized to the same point on both CDT and BDP. Coaltrain sat on the floor in front of the DAC, hiding input switcher while toggling between both sources, essentially a blind listening test for me. Unbelievably, my Sony BDP (UBP800 is the model number) sounded as good or even marginally better as a transport than the dedicated CDT, every single time! It was neither owner's bias nor the beer going down - we both heard the same parity in SQ.
So my good host saved me 45k on a CDT and gave me new found respect for my Sony Blu-ray player. However that did not fix the underwhelming sound back home, I had to upgrade my DAC! The villain of the piece had revealed himself.
View attachment 71952

The difference has been almost night and day. So in summary, Coaltrain saved me a small pot of money on the one hand while smoothly guiding me to spending a truckload on the other.
Thanks....I think!
Lovely upgrade jayant :)

But perhaps you are just staring down the rabbit hole, with Denafrips DDC's and external reclockers. But a good problem to have in the end :D

Hearty congratulations :)

View attachment 71953

View attachment 71951

View attachment 71952

Thanks....I think!
Jayant, it seems a big upgrade...Enjoy the music. Congratulations!

View attachment 71953

View attachment 71951

View attachment 71952

Thanks....I think!
This is pleasantly surprising that the Sony BDP went head to head , or even bettered, as you say , the famed Audiolab transport.
Incidentally I have the same BDP that I (very rarely ) use for watching blu Ray discs on my HT.
Newfound respects for it , thanks to you !

This is pleasantly surprising that the Sony BDP went head to head , or even bettered, as you say , the famed Audiolab transport.
Incidentally I have the same BDP that I (very rarely ) use for watching blu Ray discs on my HT.
Newfound respects for it , thanks to you !
I was almost certain a CDT would be a clear upgrade until I heard them side by side. Came as a big shock to me. Like you said, new found respect for Sony UBP800

I was almost certain a CDT would be a clear upgrade until I heard them side by side. Came as a big shock to me. Like you said, new found respect for Sony UBP800
I have a Sony bluray player and even mp3 songs written on to compact discs without even Mbps compression (just 512-756 kbps), sounds great on my surround speakers powered by the Denon 2700. I dont miss a stereo amp with a CD player.

View attachment 71953

View attachment 71951

View attachment 71952

Thanks....I think!

Superb write-up, Jayant!
Even the shot of your vinyl rack speaks volumes :)

Really glad you got the Pontus. I’m sure your CD collection can hold its head up higher now, when placed next to your LPs!

One minor correction: my tube amp is a Cayin, not a Primaluna. While Cayin does manufacture the Primaluna range in its China factory, they have very different sound signatures.

Superb write-up, Jayant!
Even the shot of your vinyl rack speaks volumes :)

Really glad you got the Pontus. I’m sure your CD collection can hold its head up higher now, when placed next to your LPs!

One minor correction: my tube amp is a Cayin, not a Primaluna. While Cayin does manufacture the Primaluna range in its China factory, they have very different sound signatures.
Thanks and apologies about mis-naming your amp - I'm a tube-noob!
The entire chain at your place sounded divine to me anyhow :)
I now find myself playing the same album on CD and LP to see how the two chains stack up. My sense of "engagement" with CD playback has almost reached the same level as LP playback.
Tells me a lot about the improvement Pontus has brought in!

My sense of "engagement" with CD playback has almost reached the same level as LP playback.
Tells me a lot about the improvement Pontus has brought in!
I’m a CD and LP guy myself. Can you let me know which CD and LP you are comparing. Is the LP fully AAA or digitally reissued ? You can PM if this goes OT.

I would like to start a thread to post our listening sessions with the Hifi Vision members. I am starting off with my recent session with members @Kannan and @tnvijay.

Sources: Bluetooth receiver/Allo USBridge
Amp : Tube amp (PL504, SE, driver tube is 12Ax7) made by @tnvijay
Speakers: 2 way Infinity Vintage - Mod by @Kannan

We three, thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Amp matched very well with the speakers. Played Illayaraja, ARR, Harris Jeyaraj and few English tracks. Just to check the difference between Tube and SS, we connected the same source and speakers with Salas DCG3 Pre & ACA but went back to Tube within just 2 or 3 songs. unnamed.jpgunnamed (1).jpg

At whose place was this? Please provide all details, like what's on the plate!

Here's a thread dedicated to listening sessions & Impressions.

Last edited:
I would like to start a thread to post our listening sessions with the Hifi Vision members. I am starting off with my recent session with members @Kannan and @tnvijay.

Sources: Bluetooth receiver/Allo USBridge
Amp : Tube amp (PL504, SE, driver tube is 12Ax7) made by @tnvijay
Speakers: 2 way Infinity Vintage - Mod by @Kannan

We three, thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Amp matched very well with the speakers. Played Illayaraja, ARR, Harris Jeyaraj and few English tracks. Just to check the difference between Tube and SS, we connected the same source and speakers with Salas DCG3 Pre & ACA but went back to Tube within just 2 or 3 songs. View attachment 76115View attachment 76116
Lovely looking and a very tidy setup. I like the tastefully done room treatment too. Primary reflections seem to have been well taken care of. Bet it sounded great 😁👍

At whose place was this? Please provide all details, like what's on the plate!

Here's a thread dedicated to listening sessions & Impressions.

It was a pleasure to be hosted by Vimal and family on a Sunday Evening. I met Mr. Kannan there and we as a trio started discussing briefly about the diy hobby and tube amps in general. The agenda was simple. Vimal wanted to experience tube audio and he has been well accustomed to Solid state amps so far.. For me, i wanted to see how my tube amplifier performs on various speaker loads, and boy ,I was surprised! My Vintage technics that I got from Linuxguru is damn good in low bass and mids but a little lag in highs. Since the Output transformer was wound by me, I was not very sure of its high frequency performance although scope says clean wave output upto 15khz.. Vimal's Infinity ( modded by Mr. Kannan) speakers outperformed my 3 way technics .It had great tonal accuracy , thumping bass and lush, life like vocals!! The difference was like day and night! Overall We all felt that Tube amplifier does sound lot more lifelike and with much more emotion to the music being played... I usually believe that once a listen to tubes,it's difficult to goback to solid state..and it appears true.The session was closed with Eric clapton " would you know my name" a soul wrenching melody that knocked me down! Thanked Vimal for that Experience... Special thanks To Vimal's family, we were treated with nice aromatic Cashew Biscuits and Crispy Potato wafers...and steaming Masala Chai.. Vimal's better half and his daughter took great care of us.Music, friendship and like minded talks, across age .. what more does one want in life??

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back