Benz Micro Gold - put on Rega or Lenco?

tek

Hi All

I recently picked up a Benz Micro Gold MC cartridge and I was wondering if anyone had used one? Till now I've been strictly a Denon DL 110 guy wihch is a HOMC. I use 2 tables, one is a Rega P3-24 and other is stock Lenco L70. I currently have 110's on both machines.

I have a spare headshell for the Lenco, so I was thinking I'd install the Benz on that, would that be a good recommendation? Since the headshell is a bit unique, there's not much room for cart alignment. Other option is to install on the Rega, but there is buzz online that you would need a couple of 2 mm spacers to make sure the tonearm is parallel to the surface. I didn't bother doing that with the 110, and it sounds.. pretty decent, but I tend to listen to the Lenco more often.

For the phono stage, i picked up a Thorens MM 008 MC/MM phono stage. Managed to get the phono stage and Benz cart for a good deal in Bangkok recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Quick update, i tried installing it in my Lenco headshell but it seemed too recessed.. i think i would need some kind of fitting to make it work properly in the headshell. Instead, i put this on my Rega and what a definite improvement! Sounds fantastic, going to enjoy the burn in period! Listening to a Japanese pressing of Eric Dolphy - Last Date as I type.

Congrats on the new cartridge and phono stage. How is the Benz compared to your DL110?

It's really a night and day difference between the 110 and the Benz, at least on the Rega P3-24. It's much more detailed and better bass as well. That being said, the 110 I was using was a second hand cart bought from an FM, so it had quite a few hours on it.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back