Best Budget Amp

anandls

Hi All,
Please can anyone tell me which is/are the best budget amps that are avaialble.

Thanks in Advance,
Anand

Hi All,

Thanks in Advance,
Anand

What is your budget and what type of amp are you looking for? Integrated, power, tube, hybrid, AVR (as its sometimes incorrectly referred to?)

My rest sepup would be:

Oppo DV-980HD - Source Player
Yamaha RXV663BL (optional) - AV Receiver
Wharfedale 9.2 - Speakers

Any other suggesstion would be helpful as well.

what is it that you find lacking in your system. what do you use the system for most - music / movies. any plans of going surround sound or only 2 channel

Why do you need a power amp?
I'm not sure if you can get a good power amp for 20k.
Are you going to use the yamaha receiver as a pre?
Are you looking for a HT or stereo set up?
All the best.
Cheers.

hi anand!
if you want surround sound in the future, then go for an av receiver right away. why do you need a power amp, especially when, as far as i know, none comes in that budget?

what do you find lacking in the sound anand - power / certain qualities etc etc. i wouldnt suggest adding on a power amp to your set up. power amps tend to target a higher end of the market and it will be difficult to find something that will exceed the yamaha in that price range (unless theres an indian brand which im not familiar with). your option could be to sell the yamaha and buy another avr.

anand consider this if your listening to music/movies is 50:50. instead of investing in surround sound think of a good 2.0 system. the sound quality for the same budget will be MUCH better. if youre more into movies then stick to surround sound

Hi All,
Thanks for all your valuable reply's. To start with I will go with stereo setup, but would be going with yam 663. Later, I will be adding surround to exisrting setup.

Thanks again to all.

My rest sepup would be:
Oppo DV-980HD - Source Player
Yamaha RXV663BL (optional) - AV Receiver
Wharfedale 9.2 - Speakers

'Would be'? Does it mean you have not yet got these units?

Anand, the combination of 980, Yamaha 663, and Wharfedale 9.2 should give you excellent music even from a Redbook CD. I have been listening to the Yamaha 663 with a Pioneer 610 DVD Player, and the music is really good. I am sure the Oppo 980 will only improve the sound from the system.

If need be you can bi-amp the Wharfedales 9.2 using the Yamaha 663.

I fail to see how any amp in the 20K bracket can improve the sound from this system combination. If you are looking for a qualitative jump in sound quality, you must look at a CD Player, a dedicated 2 channel amp, and maybe even more expensive speakers.

See how you can extract more quality from the Oppo/yamaha/Wharfedale combination. Look at manageable things such as better cables, better interconnects, good stands for the 9.2s, and maybe even a small investment on your room acoustics. These will go a long way in improving the sound quality than any amplifier that you can get.

Cheers

Hi All,

Thanks in Advance,
Anand

i have auditioned marantz/nad/denon/norge. norge1000 around 9K with 125W power seems to be ok , loooking at the price as well. i am trying to listen to sonodyne as well. being indian amps theses are more affordable. but one need to listen for a considerable time before taking the plunge.
just let me know if u get to audition sonodyne amp.

i have shortlisted for my use norge/sonodyne/sherwood amps.these amps must be around 10K. i have auditione only norge so far.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back