Best ceiling speaker for Atmos experience (no upward firing speakers)

harrydeo

I have 7.1.2 setup for atmos. I have set the atmos speakers as the height middle channel. i have Boston A series all around me. I am currently using Stonewater CS-6KV 6.5 inch ceiling speaker in a custom made mdf box mounted on the ceiling. i got it for around 8k/pair. While i like the sound of speaker, highs were very good (no audiophile) I thought the dispersion of the sound was no? very good. Also, audyssey set the crossover to 90.

After using it for a month I am thinking of upgrading to more high end speakers. So here are my shortlisted options
Should i stick with my stonewater?

After researching this extensively I could no? found any review for these ceiling speakers as atmos speakers (or any other ceiling speaker for that matter). I also could no? see any indian sites selling the tilted cone speakers.

So need your help in figuring out how to select the best atmos ceiling speakers.

I have 7.1.2 setup for atmos. I have set the atmos speakers as the height middle channel. i have Boston A series all around me. I am currently using Stonewater CS-6KV 6.5 inch ceiling speaker in a custom made mdf box mounted on the ceiling. i got it for around 8k/pair. While i like the sound of speaker, highs were very good (no audiophile) I thought the dispersion of the sound was no? very good. Also, audyssey set the crossover to 90.

Am also in a the same boat.. Just finished an MDF enclosure.. Initially had the idea of suspending from ceiling, but after i got the enclosure thinking to mount it more rigid using custom iron brackets with a reasonable tilt to listening position..

Should i stick with my stonewater?

I think yes.. Few FM have enlightened that aiming the speakers to listening position will yield better impact..

Please share a pic of the ceiling mounted enclosure and the listening position..

Also i see you mentioned 7.1.2 set-up? Didn't you consider 5.2.4 ?

I listen in living room with the left side half open. Total area is 12x14.5 ft (LxB). I sit along the length i.e I am only around 10 ft away from TV. Most of the restrictions come from how I had set it up earlier. I had 7.1 speaker already. Didnt want to change that. From what I can see ceiling speaker market is very basic. I am planning to add 7.2.4 configuration but that is in the future. As I will need to buy a stereo amp to do it.

I used to listen on Onky HiB 7.1 and started upgrading recently only because of 4k/HDR. My primary usage is Gaming, Followed by TV(shows like Better Call Saul/Walking Dead) and little bit of Movies.

qbi2gw0aG4Ek7PAqDVm_Rnzlscvrdnc3SO5BE4MnMB10wweRhPEcFf3b8Wt83WxWLS5AR8lo1INMXdDdDBXpomiWJV7TNofdZvleY-EU2XNkt4hGvi7UJiHMJBJ1g0OaOi4wk4Lu8po-h7voIAoZYKVy9WeR3gbWzg3ykhtOeGivPE66M1gKg9zu38gSfoBnGN4GUkgD0QYFeHc2smtzZtvHpUhQm7tcdillYp8ig4SYNN3--Tzzj7MJREFOmnLVAuVM857UexOGx_WtwEe5l5wrx126GQCF2Au8jJXLGP2tFcwoGw2ROiSmTR_P5-2Cs1PJoIoSv7QpzxvYYX2rY0scdv5WiyUyXFsFRnAzGiK81AqcGjnBhwjRROzXuzOSg3GQ1_Y5o8iLjXkDH8vvpbiRYshWQGvxSBlVZACkOerw1S5e6-8nXfifGsc6-I6U48cysrOiKSZpBy7oSUs_9R-A5i9may-8aGsAn0_5XiLzDov7CAdboV7o-OS9F5lsZJJw_nX-fBpqG3BAiwe_DKO7xVOZ2UscgyAoooDWcklyGaSEdiQ7jeQly97icxPVJ9YJtAKoKR0mUFUYuhBXs_1DJpEtRUJ1ng7eJ_jsewEwEeXhN1i1Rz6J2A=w1794-h1343-no

I listen in living room with the left side half open. Total area is 12x14.5 ft (LxB). I sit along the length i.e I am only around 10 ft away from TV. Most of the restrictions come from how I had set it up earlier. I had 7.1 speaker already. Didnt want to change that. From what I can see ceiling speaker market is very basic. I am planning to add 7.2.4 configuration but that is in the future. As I will need to buy a stereo amp to do it.

I used to listen on Onky HiB 7.1 and started upgrading recently only because of 4k/HDR. My primary usage is Gaming, Followed by TV(shows like Better Call Saul/Walking Dead) and little bit of Movies.

qbi2gw0aG4Ek7PAqDVm_Rnzlscvrdnc3SO5BE4MnMB10wweRhPEcFf3b8Wt83WxWLS5AR8lo1INMXdDdDBXpomiWJV7TNofdZvleY-EU2XNkt4hGvi7UJiHMJBJ1g0OaOi4wk4Lu8po-h7voIAoZYKVy9WeR3gbWzg3ykhtOeGivPE66M1gKg9zu38gSfoBnGN4GUkgD0QYFeHc2smtzZtvHpUhQm7tcdillYp8ig4SYNN3--Tzzj7MJREFOmnLVAuVM857UexOGx_WtwEe5l5wrx126GQCF2Au8jJXLGP2tFcwoGw2ROiSmTR_P5-2Cs1PJoIoSv7QpzxvYYX2rY0scdv5WiyUyXFsFRnAzGiK81AqcGjnBhwjRROzXuzOSg3GQ1_Y5o8iLjXkDH8vvpbiRYshWQGvxSBlVZACkOerw1S5e6-8nXfifGsc6-I6U48cysrOiKSZpBy7oSUs_9R-A5i9may-8aGsAn0_5XiLzDov7CAdboV7o-OS9F5lsZJJw_nX-fBpqG3BAiwe_DKO7xVOZ2UscgyAoooDWcklyGaSEdiQ7jeQly97icxPVJ9YJtAKoKR0mUFUYuhBXs_1DJpEtRUJ1ng7eJ_jsewEwEeXhN1i1Rz6J2A=w1794-h1343-no

We can't see the image.. Could you re-share the image again ?

Here are the images:

Very nice enclosure & neatly installed on ceiling :thumbsup:

BTW how much did the Stonewater CS-6KV 6.5 inch cost you?

From the images, i could see that the height speakers are very close to the PJ screen.. I believe they must be away from your listening position.. What is your AVR setting for this speaker - Top front / Top middle ?

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/9.1.6-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.pdf

Refer to the 2nd page, last image which shows the required angle for ceiling speakers..

Since you have only a pair of overheads, i think it would be best if it is firing right over your listening position.. But, if you are planning to add more ceiling speakers in future, you may need to reconsider the location..

That looks like it from the image. It is actually in line with my Surround Speakers. My Sofa is between Surround back and Surround Speakers. I know it is not optimum but that's what I can do right now given the total distance itself is 12ft and it is my living room :).

I bought stonewater for 8700/pair. But i have returned it. I have finally bought Q Acoustics QI65P. They have movable twitters in it. I have tilted it to my listening position. I have also mounted Q Acoustics little bit angled towards my listening position.
Q Acoustics sounds way better than stonewater, dispersion is awesome now. I can feel the atmos effect even at low sound. However, it's little bit lighter than stonewater.

Two new height speakers I will add will be parallel to my Surround Rear Speakers.

INDnu6P.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like it from the image. It is actually in line with my Surround Speakers. My Sofa is between Surround back and Surround Speakers. I know it is not optimum but that's what I can do right now given the total distance itself is 12ft and it is my living room :).

I bought stonewater for 8700/pair. But i have returned it. I have finally bought Q Acoustics QI65P. They have movable twitters in it. I have tilted it to my listening position. I have also mounted Q Acoustics little bit angled towards my listening position.
Q Acoustics sounds way better than stonewater, dispersion is awesome now. I can feel the atmos effect even at low sound. However, it's little bit lighter than stonewater.

Two new height speakers I will add will be parallel to my Surround Rear Speakers.

INDnu6P.jpg

That was really quick to change the ceiling speakers :)

Great.. So 4 over heads should be better..

I was using the stonewater for past two months, but the new ones are way more audible. BTW, you have suggested for using two subs, I am using taga sw-10 v.2 do you think adding one more will be worth it in a small room.

I was using the stonewater for past two months, but the new ones are way more audible. BTW, you have suggested for using two subs, I am using taga sw-10 v.2 do you think adding one more will be worth it in a small room.

Yes..I run dual Taga SW-10 v.2 in 14 (W) x 11 (L) feet room in the front corners, and the dual sub experience has been very good for both movies / music..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back