Best Cheap and VFM Media Player

andy78

I need to buy a Media player. The primary purpose is to play HD movies downloaded from the internet and some times MP3 and FLAC songs. This is for my uncle. Want to go for something which is as cheap as possible. I presume that Asus is the option but I think it's expensive now costing around Rs 4500 here. how good is Amkette. I have one which says Amkette 720p which is not that great and I think its for Rs 2500.

Kindly suggest.

Himedia/WDTV/Popcorn Hour/Xtreamer

These are the good ones. Finalize from one of these. These would have regular firmware updates.

Himedia/WDTV/Popcorn Hour/Xtreamer

These are the good ones. Finalize from one of these. These would have regular firmware updates.

Wouldn't these cost more than 5k? Don't want to invest anything over 5k. Ideally want something between 2k-5k max.

How to get this to India?
All items on Dealextreme have free shipping across the world including India... Its of insignificant value & they were nice enought to write "Gift" on my package so I havent incurred Customs on any of the items I bought...

When did you get it? The web site says out of stock. Is there a brand name written on the piece that you got?
Ya I chked just now it says out of stock... You could contact Dealextreme & ask when they will have it back in stock or buy another player available which is a few dollars more costly but has the same amt of good reviews... Dealextreme has a good review system & in the feedback section many customers post images & videos of the products they have received... that can help immensely in making a choice... There is no brand name written on the Media player... Though I am curious weather u would be watching content on ur TV or watching the Brand name on the player... Anyway my friend & myself both wanted a media player... I got this more than a year back & kept it for 2 months before I passed it along to my friend...I then went on to buy a HiMedia 900B coz it had a slot for an internal 3.5" drive & support for a buyray drive... During the 2 months I had this unit with me, I rigorously tested this player with 1080p mkv files ranging from the size of 1.5GB to 32GB... I tried pushing it to its limit by fast forwarding & reversing 30GB videos & suddenly pressing play to judge if it stuttered or lagged... This player came out with flying colors... The only things this player lacks in having only 1 USB slot(2 would have been nice) & no optical out... But if u are gonna use it through HDMI or RCA u wont be disappointed... In terms of pure bang for buck, no other player comes close to this one :) ...

EDIT
Forgot to mention that all my shipments from DX have normally taken 15-20 days to reach me..

Last edited:
Winner is himedia 910A...in 5k
rajadeep,
those days are gone with your hd player being only option,there are many android players 2.5k one is here

Android 2.3 OS
Adobe flash 10.3, HTML5
Internal 802.11n Wifi
Google Play (Android Market)
Support USB Web Camera
Internal browse freely
Internat TV BOX
Word/ Excel/ PPT File Supported
MKV, H.264 Player
Works with USB QWERTY keyboard and air mouse

Guys have to make a final call soon? So should I go for Asus O Mini ?

There is growing popularity for Android-based players as I learnt after I posted this thread

Most if not all connections and upgradable/customisable software options too! If nothing else, you'll be able to play Angry Birds on your Tv..:D

All the best.

Last edited:
Now my uncle has upgraded his TV to Samsung 32" UD6000 which plays most of the formats of videos. So thinking is it prudent to buy him a media player.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back