Best Fanless PC

I'm using the Minix NEO Z83-4 PLUS. You can also look into the newer LarkBox that I happen to come across recently, although it's not fanless.
Just looked it up - and I am quiet perplexed and curious at the same time. What use is a Win 10 PRO on a device like that? Not windows S not Home edition but the expensive Pro license? As a user what feature of PRO do you use?
PS I have a Minix Neo X-8H. One fine day I suddenly remembered my stash, dug it out of the cupboard but could not find its power adapter. I started experimenting with the power plugs of my WiFi routers one by one and Oops! One of them was a 12v supply... Poof! Burning smell of electronics and a 11k investment gone! Sigh! :oops::rolleyes:

Just looked it up - and I am quiet perplexed and curious at the same time. What use is a Win 10 PRO on a device like that? Not windows S not Home edition but the expensive Pro license? As a user what feature of PRO do you use?

I'm sure you know the differences between those versions, and hence the questions. I'm assuming there may be people who might want the Pro specific features in the form factor this comes in. Personally, for my home and HiFi use, it doesn't matter. I just wanted the slightly better specs.

PS I have a Minix Neo X-8H. One fine day I suddenly remembered my stash, dug it out of the cupboard but could not find its power adapter. I started experimenting with the power plugs of my WiFi routers one by one and Oops! One of them was a 12v supply... Poof! Burning smell of electronics and a 11k investment gone! Sigh! :oops::rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I've been using Minix products for a while now. Got the Plus and Pro models at home; and an original that I gave away. So far so good, no problems!

I am using Intel Pentium NUC - NUC7PJYH Barebone with ssd.
it's fan-less and by installing ssd, no moving parts in it.

you can also checkout Intel Celeron NUC - NUC7CJYH

Both the above mentioned NUC's have a fan. However, for a fanless solution you can place the NUC in an Akasa Newton chassis (bios tweaking required). Power it up with an external linear power supply like the Uptone Ultracaps 1.2 & you have a decent computer for music.

Last edited:
My budget is around usd $1000 or 75k inr. Also prefer not to buy separate components and assemble it as I am not very savvy with it. Max. I can handle is adding of ram and loading OS.
Cheers,
Sid

What about sonic Transporter? I think they ship to all places.

What about sonic Transporter? I think they ship to all places.
Yes Renjith, this is on my radar, however for now I want to avoid getting anything shipped to India. Customs is totally ridiculous 70%. Paid that for some tubes recently. Will just wait for things to subside a bit and then plan a trip to US. I am also considering another Aurender, enjoying my n100h, so maybe will pick up a n10 and move my n100 in place of a music pc.
Cheers,
Sid

Yes Renjith, this is on my radar, however for now I want to avoid getting anything shipped to India. Customs is totally ridiculous 70%. Paid that for some tubes recently. Will just wait for things to subside a bit and then plan a trip to US. I am also considering another Aurender, enjoying my n100h, so maybe will pick up a n10 and move my n100 in place of a music pc.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi SIdvee,

70% is too much. I got one recently and liked it.
Yeah buying N10 and using N100 for secondary system will be a good idea. Let me know if you are coming to Novi .

Wilson have launched Sabrina X :cool:.

Thanks
Renjith

Hi SIdvee,

Let me know if you are coming to Novi .

Wilson have launched Sabrina X :cool:.

Thanks
Renjith
Next summer, I plan to spend 2-3 mos in the US and visit Detroit for a few rounds of Golf, provided the pandemic subsides - will give you a heads-up. Yes did see the Sabrina X launch, however my next upgrade will be in the Sasha DAW range with a new room to accommodate them - have started planning for that.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi SIdvee,

70% is too much. I got one recently and liked it.
Yeah buying N10 and using N100 for secondary system will be a good idea. Let me know if you are coming to Novi .

Thanks
Renjith
Next summer, I plan to spend 2-3 mos in the US and visit Detroit for a few rounds of Golf, provided the pandemic subsides - will give you a heads-up. Yes did see the Sabrina X launch, however my next upgrade will be in the Sasha DAW range with a new room to accommodate them - have started planning for that.
Cheers,
Sid

Every one wants this pandemic to end asap. Lets meet next summer.
Excellent , you are always moving a step higher. Dedicated room with Sasha DAW will be too good.

Thanks
Renjith

Is this mini pc any good? Specifically for streaming and for playing back music files only? As a budget option I guess. It was referred to in a previous post by an FM.
Cheers,
Sid
Maybe not at the 17K odd price that amazon is showing - considering you still have to get the RAM & SSD for this. I remember these use to be a fair bit cheaper, around 10-11K odd; not sure if the processor is different or something has been upgraded to reflect the increased price.

I am looking for a fanless PC. Which is the best option available? Need it to run Jriver MC for music playback in a 2nd system, so doesn't have to be very powerful.
Cheers,
Sid
You can use a tiny raspberry pi. It is silent and runs Jriver MC. It can be used as an headless device and also mount your hard disks on usb3 port and act as a DLNA media server. The kernel is tiny and consumes much less power than any Windows or Mac OS device. I have all of them and a RPI4 will beat all of them if Music, File server is the only criteria. The entire OS will be less than 4 Gb. My RPI4 which has almost everything installed occupies 3.5 Gb. Also it serves my 1.8 Tb of music to all clients that need any of my music files
MusicPI:(pi) /home/pi >df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 15017348 3490224 10865020 25% /
/dev/sda1 3844660232 1835770128 1813522888 51% /MDrive

In contrast this is my macbook pro occupying 15Gb just for the OS
Apollo:/Users/mbhangui>df
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
/dev/disk1s5s1 244810132 15383868 179873556 8% 577263 1798735560 0% /

Last edited:
If you are not keen on DIY, then there is this allo usbridge, which is basically RPI3. It has a clean USB port to which you can attach any USB dac. You can install jriver on it and also have a distribution like Moode, volumio, etc which will give you spotify + airplay + MQA, etc. Basically a full fledged media streamer

Back