Best HDMI upconverting AVR under 50K

spycatcher

Hi - I just invested in a Samsung 46" Full HD LCD TV (LA46F81B LA46F81B LCD TV - television SAMSUNG).

At the moment I have a DISH TV DTH connection and a DVD player is connected to it.

Would like your advice to a good AV receiver under 50K which will UPCONVERT analog signals from the set top box and dvd player to full 1080p resoulution of the TV. (The idea is to use the TV to its full resolution till true HD TV set top boxes and tv channels come to India)

Also do recommend speakers to go with the set up. Looking at 2 main speakers to start with initially and build a 5.1 system over time.

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Hi SpyCatcher

I myself am looking for a similar type of AVR. (I am planning to buy the new hitachi 42" Full HD).

For me it boils down to :
1) Either an AVR without HDMI
2) Or an AVR with HDMI and upscaling.

Denon has a great model AVR-888. Don't know if its available in India?

Raman

Hi SpyCatcher

I myself am looking for a similar type of AVR. (I am planning to buy the new hitachi 42" Full HD).

For me it boils down to :
1) Either an AVR without HDMI
2) Or an AVR with HDMI and upscaling.

Denon has a great model AVR-888. Don't know if its available in India?

Raman

For best upscaling, any system with faroudja dcdi chip is suggested.

denon has some models with faroudja chips but it can cause big hole.

whether "dth connected to upscaling dvd and scaled up output connected to lcds " can be done.

Yes AVR 888 has it.
In US it retails (MRP) at 749$. It has F-DCDi. But doesn't have DD+ and Dolby True HD.

Friends
It seems AVR-888 and AVR-2308CI(2308) are the same models. 2308 has an additional 12v trigger plus a couple (1-2) of more things.
Even I am thinking now to go in for the same model (Major plus: F-DCDi which will do analog-analog conversions and analog-HDMI conversions/upscaling)

avrs do a lot of things at once. receive and manipulate and route a/v signals

Last edited:
dedicated processors are the best if you are a tweak-freak. these beasts are built for just processing video and have multiple inputs so you can process video to full 1080p from any source. set tops, vcrs camcorders, computers,vcds dvds etc.

ofcourse utility and budget are factors.

one of the cheaper ones

DVDO iSan HD Video Scaler review - AUDIOPHILE AUDITION

good luck.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back