Best OS for HTPC

Vijay_s

I am in the process to setup an HTPC. Can anyone suggest me a distro with least cumbersome installation and maintenance.
Following options are open, if you could suggest me a better one I would be happy to consider it.

KnoppMyth
Mythbuntu
Mythdora
LinuxMCE

Last edited:
Don't use Linux as far as possible. Device drivers are still a big issue, especially if you use newer model sound and graphics cards. WinXP is still the most user-friendly OS , though Win 7, once stable, may be an option as well. Avoid Vista at all costs.

Hmm! Going for windows 7 is a costlier affair, I have a licensed copy of Vista. Why vista considered as bad choice for HTPC. Even though i have inclination towards linux i would prefer Wintel if there is a substantial reason to support Windows.

The main thing is that Vista uses a lot of CPU resources and not stable compared to XP. The best one is XP with SP2. Since i require a better interface and easy device compatibility, I chose Win7. Compared to Vista, 7 is very lighter and really fast. Why cant you try the Beta version, which is available for free download?

The main thing is that Vista uses a lot of CPU resources and not stable compared to XP. The best one is XP with SP2. Since i require a better interface and easy device compatibility, I chose Win7. Compared to Vista, 7 is very lighter and really fast. Why cant you try the Beta version, which is available for free download?

Isn't that closed at the moment. Also Vista after all the patching seems to run okay. Agreed it was worse during initial release days but has increased considerably.

Vista was a paid beta for Win 7 :D

svkndv - Ubuntu would be a safe try as the probability of finding drivers for many of the commonly used components becomes higher with a popular distribution. Mythbuntu as it is based on Ubuntu becomes a natural choice.

As for driver support, enthusiasts may be heartened to know that ALSA drivers exist for the Xonar Essence:)

Regarding Vista there are people who are optimizing players solely for Vista's sound architecture - WASAPI.

PlayWasapi and XXHighend are good examples of that. Personally I would stay away from Vista. My OS should help applications run smoothly, not stand in their way.

Is anyone here a Linux developer? I am trying to find out if there is a Linux-based, embedded open-source solution that has the following features:

1. The OS should have a tight integration with a media player like CMPlayer. This would probably mean the OS does not serve any other function than to support the media player and it's allied functions. In a way it would be like installing the Media player directly on the hardware with a probable footprint of a few 100 Megs.

2. None of the non-essential components should get installed with the OS

3. The media player/OS should have 2 modes of operation, Audio-only and Multi-media.

4. Should support all major codecs, audio and video.

5. Should ideally have features like CDDB, playlist management, media archiving and management, album cover display, screen-saver mode, visualizations or compatibility with other major visualization plugins.

6. Should support streaming of internet audio/video.

7. Should have NAS and optional Wi-Fi support.

8. Should support touch-screens, popular hardware components and architectures.

9. Should support media-ripping.

10. Not cost a bomb, ideally around $200, including update subscription.

I understand that the wish-list might look very much like that of an NMT's feature-list, but I'm looking for a solution that's hardware-agnostic. In the sense, I should be able to download it and install it on a new piece of hardware and use it like a jukebox. Much like the Sooloos, only without the vendor's hardware and the humungous price tag. I'm thinking there should be something like this out there and it's just that I don't know about it...

Last edited:
Why cant we take it up as a group requirement so that everybody will get benefited (if you dont mind)...

Is anyone here a Linux developer? I am trying to find out if there is a Linux-based, embedded open-source solution that has the following features:

1. The OS should have a tight integration with a media player like Cplayer. This would probably mean the OS does not serve any other function than to support the media player and it's allied functions. In a way it would be like installing the Media player directly on the hardware with a probable footprint of a few 100 Megs.

3. The media player/OS should have 2 modes of operation, Audio-only and Multi-media.

5. Should ideally have features like CDDB, playlist management, media archiving and management, album cover display, screen-saver mode, visualizations or compatibility with other major visualization plugins.

I understand that the wish-list might look very much like that of an NMT's feature-list, but I'm looking for a solution that's hardware-agnostic. In the sense, I should be able to download it and install it on a new piece of hardware and use it like a jukebox. Much like the Sooloos, only without the vendor's hardware and the humungous price tag. I'm thinking there should be something like this out there and it's just that I don't know about it...

Hmm! Going for windows 7 is a costlier affair, I have a licensed copy of Vista. Why vista considered as bad choice for HTPC. Even though i have inclination towards linux i would prefer Wintel if there is a substantial reason to support Windows.

Just check - Microsoft was offering ( and still lot of users are eligible) almost free upgade from Vista to Win 7
Pls publish ur findings!

Why cant we take it up as a group requirement so that everybody will get benefited (if you dont mind)...

These are just a few things I want in a media player and I'm sure there are more things that others might want. My gripe is that I feel spending money on an OS if all I need is a jukebox is a criminal waste. I just want one piece of software that I can download and install on a piece of hardware and enjoy my music forgetting the fact that I'm using a computer. What I'm trying to do is to find out if something like this already exists. If someone here can actually conjure up something like this, nothing better...

1. The OS should have a tight integration with a media player like CMPlayer. This would probably mean the OS does not serve any other function than to support the media player and it's allied functions. In a way it would be like installing the Media player directly on the hardware with a probable footprint of a few 100 Megs.

Grubyhalo - have you tried any Linux distributions? Most of these are already available I would think. Do try Mythbuntu for example or even DreamLinux.

Grubyhalo - have you tried any Linux distributions? Most of these are already available I would think. Do try Mythbuntu for example or even DreamLinux.

I have tried a few distros and have seen pretty nifty features. I'm trying to see if there's a package that is not as big as a regular OS with all the bells and whistles but just support what I need with user-friendliness and good SQ. When the PC boots up, the only screen there should be is the media player's. I am not sure if I'm explaining myself properly but I'll see if I can put words to my thoughts and still make better sense...

I was a Welcome to Linux From Scratch! user in 2003. I have developed and used my custom distro entirely from source and single cd fedora3 too. Its not the same as being a developer but it is manageable. If I get around to building a new version I will copy you. I was planning a NAS box+media version but looks like I will finish only towards the year end.

For now you are better off installing XP media center edition and leaving space for a linux dual boot install.

Edit: Alternative is to try XUbuntu 9.04 with XBMC or Boxee or MythTV. I just upgraded last week from 8.04 to 9.04 and man its a big relief! The 8.0.4 I rated below window XP of 8 years back, but 9.04 is finally what the world deserved to see a few years back. Google for the media apps and you will find out. Here is one http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=204

Cheers

Last edited:
I was a Welcome to Linux From Scratch! user in 2003. I have developed custom distro's entirely from source and single cd fedora3 too. Its not the same as being a developer but it is manageable. If I get around to building a new version I will copy you. I was planning a NAS box+media version but lokslike I will finish only towards the year end.

For now you are better off installing XP media center edition and leaving space for a linux dual boot install.

Cheers

Cool, thanks for the offer. In the meantime let me try researching a bit on that site, looks like I would be a target audience for it...

I was a Welcome to Linux From Scratch! user in 2003. I have developed and used my custom distro entirely from source and single cd fedora3 too. Its not the same as being a developer but it is manageable. If I get around to building a new version I will copy you. I was planning a NAS box+media version but looks like I will finish only towards the year end.

Edit: Alternative is to try XUbuntu 9.04 with XBMC or Boxee or MythTV. I just upgraded last week from 8.04 to 9.04 and man its a big relief! The 8.0.4 I rated below window XP of 8 years back, but 9.04 is finally what the world deserved to see a few years back. Google for the media apps and you will find out. Here is one Berkeley Linux Users Group Blog Archive The Three Best Linux Media Centers

Cheers

Slax - based on Slackware also offers a nifty feature to build up the apps you want and make your own distro.

This feature is also a big hit on Dreamlinux. I like this distro not just for its look and feel but also because this is a Debian derivative.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back