Best Reference Bluray Player Out there - List only 2

rohit1712

I am considering the Pioneer LX91 and the Denon DBP-4010UDCI both are MultiZone + MultiRegion to be the best reference grade bluray players as on date. Please give your opinions and add any other players you think are in the same league.

hi! i am getting the denon 4010 but it is not a multi region. there is another bluray and thats marantz ud 8004 and that too is not multi region but is reference product. there is also the marantz ud9004 but way above the denon and the pioneer you mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reference quality players are great if you want something that has the build quality of a bull. I'm not very sure that the hefty premium one pays for these players is worth it for the PQ alone. :)

Criterion was using a PS3 phat as their reference player in 2K8! :lol: The same was also recommended by Joe Kane of DVD Essentials fame.

As an alternative, you could also buy a basic player like the BDP-S370 and a quality stand-alone upscaler. Simply set the S-370 to output in Original Resolution and let the upscaler take care of the upscaling for DVD. For BD, let the S-370 struts it's stuff. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Reference quality players are great if you want something that has the build quality of a bull. I'm not very sure that the hefty premium one pays for these players is worth it for the PQ alone. :)

It is not just the PQ, but superb audio processing capabilities. When you play a disc with HD Audio, good audio processing capabilities are important. In addition, these players double up as CD/SACD players, eliminating the need for a separate CD Player, unless you are a finicky audiophile. In addition, these modern players have a lot of other capabilities such as media playing capabilities, networking capabilities, meta tags, etc.

Cheers

It is not just the PQ, but superb audio processing capabilities. When you play a disc with HD Audio, good audio processing capabilities are important.

But if you're bitstreaming the HD audio signal to a quality receiver, then the receiver's electronics are going to do the processing, anyway.

In addition, these players double up as CD/SACD players, eliminating the need for a separate CD Player, unless you are a finicky audiophile.

Even basic players from Sony, Denon and Yamaha are playing SACDs these days and some models even allow you to output the raw DSD stream via HDMI to a receiver or outboard DAC capable of processing these signals.

In addition, these modern players have a lot of other capabilities such as media playing capabilities, networking capabilities, meta tags, etc.

Well, here is where there lies a difference. Even though some cheaper players have these features, they're not as well implemented on them.

Last edited:
But if you're bitstreaming the HD audio signal to a quality receiver, then the receiver's electronics are going to do the processing, anyway.

True. But to get to the level of processing of, say, an Oppo BD93/95, you need to get a receiver that is around 1,00,000 at least. With players such as Oppo, you can send the audio as LPCM, and get superb sound even from a mid level AVR. Even better would be to send the data as 7 channel analogue.

Even basic players from Sony, Denon and Yamaha are playing SACDs these days and some models even allow you to output the raw DSD stream via HDMI to a receiver or outboard DAC capable of processing these signals.

Again true. But what Oppo has done is to install separate shielded circuitry for audio and that too for 2 channel audio. This brings the output of the Oppo very close to a CD Player. In addition, it has a high end DAC, that again, will be found only in the expensive AVRs. Though you can bitstream audio, with the Oppo, you get excellent quality of audio by allowing it to process the data, and using an AVR as a simple preamp/amp.

Cheers

True. But to get to the level of processing of, say, an Oppo BD93/95, you need to get a receiver that is around 1,00,000 at least. With players such as Oppo, you can send the audio as LPCM, and get superb sound even from a mid level AVR. Even better would be to send the data as 7 channel analogue.

Agreed.

I was, however, told by a friend not to compromise on the quality of the receiver. That is why, I am yet to buy one.

Again true. But what Oppo has done is to install separate shielded circuitry for audio and that too for 2 channel audio. This brings the output of the Oppo very close to a CD Player. In addition, it has a high end DAC, that again, will be found only in the expensive AVRs.

Agreed.

Hi,

A small change in my opinion, something better than a Oppo BD 95 player.

I think Marantz UD 9004 (17 Kg) and plays every format available and with all sorts of connectivity one can imagine, plays also SACD DVD audio included.

Price is a very, very, very cool Rs 4,50,000 approximately he he he

Next may be the Oppo BD 95

Cheers

I don't think any of these products will come near an Oppo BD93 and/or a BD95.

Cheers

I finally got a Oppo BDP-93 and hooked it to a Pioneer Kuro TV in place of a Pioneer LX-50 DVD player I have been using the last three years. I can't find a significant difference in DVD performance and the blu-ray discs appear good and HD sound (I am using its analogue outputs to run to my old Rotel surround sound processor using it as just a preamplifier for volume control).

May be the Kuro TV is so good that blu-ray does not give a breathtaking performance increase in picture quality! Or, there is a running-in period involved. I don't know.

I hope to replace my Vandersteen 2Ce Signature speakers with Quatro (wood) in the next couple of months, now that I have located a shipping agency willing to freight 120 kg all the way from US of A!

By the way, I used Aramex shop and ship services for the Oppo and am quite happy with their services.

Just some real life experience sharing.

cheers.
murali

Hi Murali,

Did you run the Spears and Munsil or similar callibration disks to get the best of the Oppo? It may help in making a difference.

Hi Murali,

Did you run the Spears and Munsil or similar callibration disks to get the best of the Oppo? It may help in making a difference.

No, I didn't. My visit to India was short and brief and all I managed was to set up the new Oppo with the Pioneer Kuro 500P. I plan to get some calibration disc (I have an older DVE disc) when I come home again in June this year.
Interesting to see that you use a Emotiva UMC-1. I am also interested in it (it is only $800) but did not buy it because I don't know what to do with my Rotel RSP. I presume the Oppo does the HD audio decoding well, at least close to what a dedicated surround processor like Emotiva can do.
In the upgrading path, the perennial problem is disposal of older equipment and hence I am hesitating now-a-days. When my new speakers come in June, I will have both the old speakers (Vandersteen 2Ce) as well as line-stage VTL 5.5 (already changed to ARC Ref3) to find some use and room. All the more reason I am not succumbing to the temptation of replacing my 2-channel power amp (Ayre V-5xe) with a higher end model.
Thanks and regards.
murali

In Chennai, Where can I get Oppo 93? whats d price of this? Am planning for BDP this week.

There is no official distributor or dealer for the product in India. Some of the dealers may import a few pieces by themselves, but the asking price will be high. The best would be to use a friend or relative and get it from the US.

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back